Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for gloves and a jacket with about 300 dollar spending margin. I do mostly city riding and country riding. Not very many twisties around here so I'm usually not ripping the canyons up. I just need something that looks decent, will let me ride when it's 50 degrees (Ohio) and not sweat to death when it's 90, and will give me good protection if I crash. Is it possible with this spending limit?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You could pick up a decent textile jacket for around $200 and gloves for $100. A leather jacket would be tough to pull off with that budget, but maybe if you shop for closeouts.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Leather protects and lasts best. It's not uncommon for a good leather suit to hold up fine during a get-off and maybe only need minor repair. A textile jacket is more likely to get shredded a little. Either will offer protection. Leather has the added benefit of fitting a little more snug and not catching so much wind at speed. At the extreme, a mesh textile jacket offers really good airflow in the heat, but arguably less protection. A mesh jacket is also likely to be trashed by a fall.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Textiles (not including mesh) will hold up in accidents which occur at more moderate speeds, and tend to only last through one serious crash. In a bad slide, they abrade more easily than leather (I'm guessing mostly by virtue of being thinner) and can actually burn into your skin. Leather is better in terms of protection, but more expensive, probably hotter, less water resistant. I have several jackets. I tend to wear textiles for commuting or running errands, and leather for pleasure rides (read: going faster).

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can definitely get some decent gear for $300. I recommend buying used so you can make the most of your money. Try the gear for sale forum of this website or ebay.

I purchased a used Alpinestars TZ-1 jacket for $180 and used Alpinestars GP Plus gloves for $100.

However, do you have riding pants and boots?

·
Registered
489 Posts
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_street_fighter_gloves_page.htm

New Enough sometimes has some pretty good deals on closeout gear. I bought some nice Teknic gloves from them for about $40. They sold out of the ones I bought a while back, but I think these look pretty solid and they are cheap. Spend the remaining $250 on your jacket (leather!!). I definately recommend perforated, of course. I ride with perforated leather jacket and pants in the summer and honestly it's not uncomfortable in relatively high heat as long as you stay moving! In traffic, it's slightly less comfortable. Standing around outside, it is downright shitty.

·
Registered
753 Posts
There is no way that perforatedleather will work in hot weather. I live in Vegas and I have yet to see a rider wearing leather in our current weather. My Alpinestars Dyno jacket works just fine and anyone that says otherwise is full of shit. I wear icon boots, alpinestars s-mx air gloves, dyno jacket and an Shoei RF1000 helmet. Im perfectly comfortable and im very safe. Leather shouldn't be worn even after an accident regardless. Gear is one time wearable, you dont wear it after its been abused becuase it might not hold up so well that 2nd time. Its just common sense.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Leather only used for one incident???? What kind of leather are you wearing??? A helmet is the only thing I wouldn't wear after an accident. If the leather has not lost any integrity in the stitching or material degradation, it can still be worn. I went down in my leather gear at 40 mph. My jacket, gloves and boots got scuffed up in a few places but the only piece I had to replace after that accident was my helmet. I was wearing my perforated leather in the 100 degree Texas heat.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
BadNatured said:
Leather shouldn't be worn even after an accident regardless. Gear is one time wearable, you dont wear it after its been abused becuase it might not hold up so well that 2nd time. Its just common sense.

um, i hate to disagree with you, but leather can be worn more than once providing it is stuctureally sound. the leather can't be missing like a huge patch out of it (say an arm or something). when i crashed the only thing wrong w/my leather jacket was the 3 little gouges in the arm, otherwise the jacket was fine. there was no seams busted and the leather itself w/without any signs of having been in a crash. the helmet, on the other hand, no. that must be replaced w/each crash.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Id replace all my gear in any crash. Just a personal thing. Id think it would be wise to do so anyway. Often times some things arn't shown and youll never know if its sound until you go down. Its more of a diff of opnion than anything. The point wasn't the leather it was that textile is plenty safe.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, and you have to realize that this guy lives in Ohio, not Vegas. I live in NC (probably slightly cooler in Ohio) and I do perfectly fine with the perforated leathers all over as long as I'm moving. In traffic it gets warm, but then once you get moving it's even cooler b/c of the sweat evaporating so quickly.

Personally, as far as replacement goes, I would replace my gear if necessary. Helmet is gone if it takes a hard hit like that. Otherwise, it would depend on the crash. If I go down at 20 MPH and it just scuffs everything, I'm keeping it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts