Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal.. I'm dead set on buying a Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM, but haven't found one in the area at my budget.. My friend from school offered me his '94 cbr600 F2 for $500.. I'm very tempted in taking it.. The bike runs well.. The plastics are in bad condition, but I don't care b-cuz I'll street fighter it.. I still want the super moto, but need another $2000 to get to what they're asking.. If I get the F2 I know I'll set myself back $500.. But right now I just want to ride.. I know now isn't really the best time to ride, but it kills me coming into work everyday looking at motorcycles.. I work at a dealership in the parts dept.. The mechanics did work on the bike during the summer, and said the engine was in good shape.. And for $500 I couldn't really beat it..

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
there are tons of threads like this everyone has thier own opinion.

whatever u decide make sure to gear up properly and take the mfs course.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MSF taken for a second time during the summer.. I got all my gear except for boots.. and I've got my eye on some Sidi Vertigos..

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
What I generally recommend is starting on a bike that isn't so difficult to ride that takes away attention you should be using to learn defensive riding.

CBRs are pretty good bikes to own and I have always thought they were easy to ride. You are an older beginner (28 according to your profile) so you have had your drivers license for a while and you work around bikes so you have probably heard all the safety lectures. I'm also sure you have access to people who will give you good advice on technique.

I'd probably tell you to go for it. Most of the stupid stuff thaty happens to new guys, slow speed fall overs etc won't really matter here because the bike is already rashed so why not?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Dude, $500 for a set of street legal wheels? - Get it.

$500 for any street-going POS is a great deal, but make it a Honda, and a CBR to boot? You should be all over that - besides, you could easily turn it around on your local want ads for several hundred more.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for ur input guys! I appreciate it! LoL.. So, far I haven't heard anyone say no on it.. and I'm thinkin I can get a good return on it.. So.. I'll post pics when I've got possession!

·
It wasn't me
3,508 Posts
If it was a 2003+ CBR600RR I'd say no. A '94 is a lot more tame, and you have taken the MSF and sound like a responsible person. $500 for a (well?) running bike? Get it!

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
buy low sell high...

Then get what you want. If you are saying that $500 is the amount of money that you are willing to put your LIFE in danger or harms way by riding a bike that which you are not skilled to ride, then you may want to re think this riding thing altogether.

It's possible to start on a 600SS...shit, I did, but I wouldn't recommend it AND if I had to do it over again, I WOULDN"T. It's a lot more involved.

buy the bike from your friend, sell it then buy what you REALLY want.

·
Florida Flat
1,779 Posts
small.....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Then get what you want. If you are saying that $500 is the amount of money that you are willing to put your LIFE in danger or harms way by riding a bike that which you are not skilled to ride, then you may want to re think this riding thing altogether.

It's possible to start on a 600SS...shit, I did, but I wouldn't recommend it AND if I had to do it over again, I WOULDN"T. It's a lot more involved.
Everyone is different though! Just because YOU didn't feel YOU were skilled enough to ride a 600 and ended up switching, does NOT mean he will.

I started on my current GSXR600 and am totally comfortable on it and am VERY HAPPY that I started on it. I think it is a perfect bike that does EXACTLY what I tell it, which is great. For some less coordinated beginners that may not be a good thing because they can give a wrong input and that could be trouble, but from my experience the bike does just what I want it to do and is not 'too much' at all. It's enough for me to be comfortable and confident, but I also never forget how easy a mistake can happen and the consequences of it.
That is a big thing, many people stop thinking, they get comfortable and stop paying attentionm that's when accidents happen, but I'd say thats the number one thing that has kept me safe is always being aware and knowing that riding is dangerous.

I was worried when I first got my bike that it would be unbelievably crazy to ride. Everyone on here always says go with a 250, but I really couldn't see it being THAT bad, and if it were I would have sold it for what I bought it for and went smaller. I guess I was prepared for the worst and when I actually started riding I realized it wasn't so bad after all, as long as you're not a total moron.

$500 bucks for a bike to learn on that is in 'fair condition' is great. Even if you learned on it and sold it for $500 now you have some experience and you'll know for sure what you want.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Everyone is different though! Just because YOU didn't feel YOU were skilled enough to ride a 600 and ended up switching, does NOT mean he will.

I started on my current GSXR600 and am totally comfortable on it and am VERY HAPPY that I started on it. I think it is a perfect bike that does EXACTLY what I tell it, which is great. For some less coordinated beginners that may not be a good thing because they can give a wrong input and that could be trouble, but from my experience the bike does just what I want it to do and is not 'too much' at all. It's enough for me to be comfortable and confident, but I also never forget how easy a mistake can happen and the consequences of it.
That is a big thing, many people stop thinking, they get comfortable and stop paying attentionm that's when accidents happen, but I'd say thats the number one thing that has kept me safe is always being aware and knowing that riding is dangerous.

I was worried when I first got my bike that it would be unbelievably crazy to ride. Everyone on here always says go with a 250, but I really couldn't see it being THAT bad, and if it were I would have sold it for what I bought it for and went smaller. I guess I was prepared for the worst and when I actually started riding I realized it wasn't so bad after all, as long as you're not a total moron.

$500 bucks for a bike to learn on that is in 'fair condition' is great. Even if you learned on it and sold it for $500 now you have some experience and you'll know for sure what you want.
Ever heard of Manhattanrider? He said pretty much the same thing as you a while back, and is somewhere around your age... He said that he felt great on his 600SS, that it did everything he wanted it to and no more. He also wiped out on it pretty bad and claimed that he didn't do anything wrong, that all of a sudden he was sliding on the ground for no apparent reason...

Just wondering how much experience you have if you're only 20? When did you get your 600 street bike? How many miles do you have under your belt?

And do you think that older riders don't know as much or more than you do? You're still immature, admit it, compared to quite a few riders on these forums.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ever heard of Manhattanrider? He said pretty much the same thing as you a while back, and is somewhere around your age... He said that he felt great on his 600SS, that it did everything he wanted it to and no more. He also wiped out on it pretty bad and claimed that he didn't do anything wrong, that all of a sudden he was sliding on the ground for no apparent reason...

Just wondering how much experience you have if you're only 20? When did you get your 600 street bike? How many miles do you have under your belt?

And do you think that older riders don't know as much or more than you do? You're still immature, admit it, compared to quite a few riders on these forums.
Haven't heard of him but I don't doubt the story, shit does happen. What caused it?

I took the MSF class over the summer and got my license. I had researched all about bikes for a long time before I had even took the course. After I got my license I got the bike, and got all my gear while I waited for it to be registered.
I got the bike July 11th 2008. It sat for a week while I didn't have time to go to the DMV with work. While it sat I made rear signals for it and installed flush mounts and also changed the oil. First place I took it was to go put brand new tires on it so I felt safe. I do all the work myself (except tires)because I love working on cars and want to learn about bikes.

It's been cold and I've been busy lately(work 2 jobs and in school) so I haven't taken it out much the past 2 weeks, but in the 4 months of owning it I have 1,7xx miles on it. That has been in all different conditions (highway, residential, day, night, hot, cold, dry, POURING, and combinations of them). I feel it has been a pretty well balanced array of conditions which is great for learning.

My father is a retired highway motorcycle cop who just bought a 2008 HD 2 weeks before I had gotten my bike. I ride with him a lot and learned a lot from him. I'm sure that gave me an advantage as well.

As for older riders, age doesn't matter, experience does. The OP for example is 28 but has less experience than me, therefore I wouldn't take his advice on motorcycle issues.(no offense)
Also, I don't know what makes me immature. I may be young compared to other riders, but young and immature aren't always interchangable. I've always been known for acting older then I was and even my parents acknowledge that. Hell, I'm more mature than my 24 year old sister who's getting married this summer.
But I haven't done any stunts, no wheelies no really excessive speeds to merit me being called immature.

Like I said, young and immature are not always the same. And not every beginner will have a hard time learning to ride, everyone is different.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I wouldnt take your advice on motorcycles either. You have less miles on a motorcycle than some people do in a month lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
I wouldnt take your advice on motorcycles either. You have less miles on a motorcycle than some people do in a month lol
+1. Don't take it personal dude. 1,7xx miles isn't enough to really say you're a good rider. What other bikes have you ridden to say that the GSXR600 is a "perfect bike?" It's not an attack, but with 1,7xx miles, you don't even know what you don't know...yet. You will learn in time. Stay safe.

To the OP, the older CBR600F2 was a good bike. Compared to today's 600SS it's a tame beast. I used to have an F2 and it was a blast to ride. If this one is running well, it's worth the money.

Shane

·
Registered
42 Posts
Haven't heard of him but I don't doubt the story, shit does happen. What caused it?

I took the MSF class over the summer and got my license. I had researched all about bikes for a long time before I had even took the course. After I got my license I got the bike, and got all my gear while I waited for it to be registered.
I got the bike July 11th 2008. It sat for a week while I didn't have time to go to the DMV with work. While it sat I made rear signals for it and installed flush mounts and also changed the oil. First place I took it was to go put brand new tires on it so I felt safe. I do all the work myself (except tires)because I love working on cars and want to learn about bikes.

It's been cold and I've been busy lately(work 2 jobs and in school) so I haven't taken it out much the past 2 weeks, but in the 4 months of owning it I have 1,7xx miles on it. That has been in all different conditions (highway, residential, day, night, hot, cold, dry, POURING, and combinations of them). I feel it has been a pretty well balanced array of conditions which is great for learning.

My father is a retired highway motorcycle cop who just bought a 2008 HD 2 weeks before I had gotten my bike. I ride with him a lot and learned a lot from him. I'm sure that gave me an advantage as well.

As for older riders, age doesn't matter, experience does. The OP for example is 28 but has less experience than me, therefore I wouldn't take his advice on motorcycle issues.(no offense)
Also, I don't know what makes me immature. I may be young compared to other riders, but young and immature aren't always interchangable. I've always been known for acting older then I was and even my parents acknowledge that. Hell, I'm more mature than my 24 year old sister who's getting married this summer.
But I haven't done any stunts, no wheelies no really excessive speeds to merit me being called immature.

Like I said, young and immature are not always the same. And not every beginner will have a hard time learning to ride, everyone is different.
I never said immature for your age. And looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the way I think. It's nothing against you, but your experience is pretty much worth nil to those who get 25,000 miles each year and have been riding for the past 20 years. Those are the people that mostly post in here, and the people that we really need to listen to.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
heres my story

i started out on a 07 gsxr, at 30 years old, took the mfs course and wear full gear. rode dirt bikes and four wheelers when i was younger but very little experience. the first month and 1/2 i ended up lowsiding because i grabbed the brake alittle hard because i got nervous when a lady merged into my lane at the last second. could i have avoided it? maybe now but not then. id say that was about 1000 miles.

since then ive been riding non stop. even done a track day. cr's said i was doing well and was almost placed in intermediate my first day. i decided i need some more practice first on passing, and other things.

right now for this year im at about 13k miles. learned alot of things. would i start on a 600 if i had to do it all over again? yes but i agree with alot of people saying that most people should not. i probably didnt even get totally comfortable or to what i consider "good" for about 6k miles of hard cornering.

with an older 600 i think u will be fine. make sure to gear up, take it easy and above all respect it. dont want u to wreck but for $500 if something happens to the bike it wont be a big deal at all.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Generally I vote against getting a 600 for a first bike, but that's because the person asking is normally like TurboTommy, a "mature" rider with 1700 miles on his Gixxer who really knows his shit. :eek:nfloor

You actually sound pretty reasonable, so I say get it, wear your gear, and be smart.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Understandable. Just giving some insight from my perspective, that's all. And I wish I had more miles but I work 2 jobs and go to school so I try and use my free time evenly. I can't take the bike to 1 of the jobs and not sure if I'm comfortable leaving it at school.
But I understand, still doesn't make up for lack of experience.

+1. Don't take it personal dude. 1,7xx miles isn't enough to really say you're a good rider. What other bikes have you ridden to say that the GSXR600 is a "perfect bike?" It's not an attack, but with 1,7xx miles, you don't even know what you don't know...yet. You will learn in time. Stay safe.
Not taken personal, thanks for being cool about it. I never did say I was a good rider though, I know I have a lot of learning to do. And no other bikes, I just meant it was 'perfect' for me, as in there hasn't been anything that I haven't liked about it and it performs the way I would like it to. I guess I could hop on another bike and think it is even better than mine, but for now I have zero cons for mine.

I never said immature for your age. And looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the way I think. It's nothing against you, but your experience is pretty much worth nil to those who get 25,000 miles each year and have been riding for the past 20 years. Those are the people that mostly post in here, and the people that we really need to listen to.
Gotchya. This forum is for new riders to ask questions and get feedback from people with experience. The guys with 25k/year don't need to take anything from my posts. But yes, I would agree with you that those guys have way more credibility in their posts and those are the guys I would listen to over someone with less experience.

I was just offering my point of view as someone who started with a 600 instead of the typical 'get a 250', whether you think either choice is right or wrong.

I respect you guys for being cool and civil and stating your beliefs the way you did. Too many people attack people just for having a different opinion. :cheers

Generally I vote against getting a 600 for a first bike, but that's because the person asking is normally like TurboTommy, a "mature" rider with 1700 miles on his Gixxer who really knows his shit.

You actually sound pretty reasonable, so I say get it, wear your gear, and be smart.
And it was bound to happen, someone blows it with a wise ass comment. You don't know me from a brick in the wall. You're judging me based on some other assholes that happen to be my age. That's just like judging a race of people based on the actions of some.
I know there will always be people out there like you, not willing to accept the fact that not everyone who is young is incapable of doing things that you're able to do. Which is why I'll say no more.
But I'm sure the OP is delighted to have your deeming of his being "pretty reasonableness", coming from someone who just so happens to be able to tell who's reasonable and who is not without knowing anything about them. :eek:nfloor

To the OP, sorry the thread turned into this, heh.
And now back to your televised broadcast!

·
Registered
139 Posts
If the f2 is in fair condition, then get it. I had an f3 as my first bike and have no regrets. Just dont get in over your head and the bike will do what you tell it to.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts