Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

It seems to me that when riders are actually killed in a crash its from a neck injury. Is that correct? At the same time though it seems like the part of your body that doesn't get any kind of protection, can just flex around as easily as the wind blows. Do protection collars actually work? And does no one where them simply because of the annoyance of the discomfort? I was wondering whether there's any system that connects your helmet to your backplate, which would allow for a range of motion, but at the same time would protect against sudden jolts or heavy impacts.

Austin

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
camshaft said:
Hey guys.

It seems to me that when riders are actually killed in a crash its from a neck injury. Is that correct? At the same time though it seems like the part of your body that doesn't get any kind of protection, can just flex around as easily as the wind blows. Do protection collars actually work? And does no one where them simply because of the annoyance of the discomfort? I was wondering whether there's any system that connects your helmet to your backplate, which would allow for a range of motion, but at the same time would protect against sudden jolts or heavy impacts.

Austin
Referencing such collars used in Open Wheel and NASCAR Racing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jammin_Johnny said:
Yes but I've seen them sold on motorcycle sites with the intent to be used in racing too. They look just like the ones for auto racing.

·
Registered
775 Posts
camshaft said:
Hey guys.

Austin
I don't recall hearing much about people dying from neck injuries...usually it seems like it is major head or internal injuries. But, I have still wondered about this myself somtimes...you see pictuers of racers cranked over in a corner covered completly in gear except for their neck. I think though it is really about just needing to have full range of motion. I can't think of anyway to protect your neck without losing range of motion...unless of course they can invent some sort of airbag device...which I think I have actually heard people have done testing with.

My biggest conern regarding safety right now is helmets. Motorcyclist magazine did a comprehensive study and found that most SNELL helmets are too hard and don't absorb G's on impact enough. SNELL rebutted, but Motorcyclist's response (on their website) mentioned how many reputable scientists backed their study. Sorry...thread whoring!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
the only thing i know of is the hans device or the hutchinsons (i think thats it ) but they both are for stock car racing, and require seatbelts. which we obviously dont have them on the bikes. a few of my friends wear hockey neck guards while they ride dirt bikes and one does on the street but they are mainly impact protection from rock not really suport like you want.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Jammin_Johnny said:
and F1 , these just wouldn't work with bikes because of the amount of head movement you do to see what's happening around you. Just watch the bike racers, and they have less stuff happening around the periphery of their vision than we (as road riders) do.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i would imagine that anything that could keep your neck stable would greatly inhibit your head movement while riding.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
bomma said:
and F1 , these just wouldn't work with bikes because of the amount of head movement you do to see what's happening around you. Just watch the bike racers, and they have less stuff happening around the periphery of their vision than we (as road riders) do.
No dispute. Given time, who knows what we'll see next. Outside of possible movement restriction, you know rider aesthetics will be the Catch 22.

:cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was wondering whether something like this would work...
you have a solid aero hump on your back, which is integrated into a back protector so it can't move. then you have 3 pneumatic pistons stem from the front blunt side of the hump and spread apart in a triangular formation up to a plate bolted to the back of the helmet. You can then adjust the pistons so that they slide freely unless they receive a force greater than 4 g's (or whatever you pick). This would allow motion but would cause a lock up on an impact. Its a simple idea, so I'm guessing they're a reason its not already done. I was still interested in trying to build something like that with the machine shops and equipment here at school just to see what would happen.

Austin

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
On the neck and it breaking. The neck breaks because people resist during the process. If one relaxes one's muscles it would take more to break it.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
The neck is one of the STRONGEST muscles in the body.. I havent heard of anyone EVER dying of a neck injury.. it is always head trauma or massive body trauma..
Besides, I read an article on neck protection devices once (LONNNNNNGGGG time ago), and it basically said "bad idea". Having a device stop you neck when it hits the ground can hurt you even more.. It will hold your neck in place, but your body will still move, and having 170+ lbs hitting the ground will still break your neck, just in a different place.. (like wrist guards for snowboarding / rollerblading.. the wrist doesnt break, just your forearm radial and ulna bones, which are harder to heal).
A NASCAR driver has them because his head only has to be protected from going forward ONLY. There are already metal plates behind and to the side to protect him.. Motorcyclist have to have a system that protects them from 360 degrees of lateral motion, PLUS the up and down motion.. It just wont happen.. You'll see it in Superbike / MotoGP when they finally think of something...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
...I havent heard of anyone EVER dying of a neck injury...
Kato Daijiro... though it wasn't ONLY neck injuries, he fractured vertebrae, and had spinal chord injuries.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've personaly seen a couple of neck injuries from motorcycle accidents, but the only deaths I've seen were from head injuries and internal injuries as REDCBRLA said previously. Lacerated pancreas and spleen/lacerated aorta ect. ect.. Massive hemoraging in da head and so on.

I have read about a few deaths from only neck injuries in motorcycle accidents but not very many.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You have to be kidding for how in the 'ell would you do a "shoulder check" when riding your bike? IF you do NOT do a shoulder check when riding a m/c or driving a cage then forget the very idea of obtaining a DL for a cage or on a m/c in any Province of Canada.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As most have mentioned, there are few fatalities resulting from neck injuries directly. The celvical vertibrae and the connective surroundings are designed to be very flexible and strong. The only real weakness comes with force applied in the lateral directions. And even then, it takes a fair amount of force to snap and/or shatter the facets. Even then it's not necessarily the broken neck that causes death. It's the nerves, arteries, etc that the bone fragments.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Smitty said:
You have to be kidding for how in the 'ell would you do a "shoulder check" when riding your bike? IF you do NOT do a shoulder check when riding a m/c or driving a cage then forget the very idea of obtaining a DL for a cage or on a m/c in any Province of Canada.
+1 shoulder checks also let the drivers know what you intend to do.

I try to make my intentions as obvious as possible ...it helps cagers as well as myself :)

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Doesn't seem to feasible and is probably so esoteric that it would come with an astronomical pricetag.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Not practical for riding. And head injuries are the major cause of death, or head injuries with other trauma. A collar would not prevent these but might act as a fulcrum when landing on your head.

It would be possible, I suppose, to create an airbag that would ridgidize the relationship between your head and torso, but it would have to extend well beyond above the shoulders (as racing collars do.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts