Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Red Dragons
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in training here in GA with other people from the southeast,one guy was from North Carolina and said that the state is currently considering closing "The Tail of the Dragon" due to too many deaths i.e. they are spending too much money keeping ambulances and lifeflight helicopters and such in the area.Anyone know anything about this?

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.

And correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't about 90 percent of Deals Gap in Tenn.?? What would they do, just dead end the road? I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
DEMIAN1970 said:
I was in training here in GA with other people from the southeast,one guy was from North Carolina and said that the state is currently considering closing "The Tail of the Dragon" due to too many deaths i.e. they are spending too much money keeping ambulances and lifeflight helicopters and such in the area.Anyone know anything about this?
They will probably do as they did for Angeles Crest here in Socal. Designated it a Special Enforcement Area and go after motorcyclists exceeding the posted or safe speed limit.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Jammin_Johnny said:
They will probably do as they did for Angeles Crest here in Socal. Designated it a Special Enforcement Area and go after motorcyclists exceeding the posted or safe speed limit.
I doubt it. The road attracts to much tourism for them to do something stupid like that. And, as I said before, there's only about 1 or 2 miles of it in NC (from what I understand...I've yet to make a trip there), and the rest belongs to TN.

For them to do something drastic like the above, they'd have to get TN to agree to it and go in on it with NC. Highly unlikely, as TN makes most of the money of the famous road b/c of the tourists.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
TRaGiK said:
I doubt it. The road attracts to much tourism for them to do something stupid like that. And, as I said before, there's only about 1 or 2 miles of it in NC (from what I understand...I've yet to make a trip there), and the rest belongs to TN.

For them to do something drastic like the above, they'd have to get TN to agree to it and go in on it with NC. Highly unlikely, as TN makes most of the money of the famous road b/c of the tourists.
I know nothing about it but tourism or not speeding is still speeding. They could very easly do this if they wanted. We have roads down here that are watched by the police all the time for this reason. They will pull you over and write you for a reckless. They won't give no warrnings. But like I said I don't know for sure.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
Look, ma, another unfounded rumor!!! :bitchslap

There are concerns over the amount of money spent on Emergency services, but for NC it's on the Cherahola Skyway, not the gap!! There's talk of changing who is responsible for enforcement on the skyway, but it's far from being decided and implemented.

As far as spreading rumors go, please quit it - I'm tired of hearing all of them constantly. If that guy from NC showed up and said that the state was considering requiring people from GA to prove that they're not inbred before they rode on the gap, would you be telling that to the world, too?

It really is aggrevating to hear all this BS... I had a buddy tell me last week that the gap averages one death per week.. he was so misinformed, and I had to explain that at least 3 tourons per week die there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
PJFZ1 said:

There are concerns over the amount of money spent on Emergency services, but for NC it's on the Cherahola Skyway, not the gap!! There's talk of changing who is responsible for enforcement on the skyway, but it's far from being decided and implemented.

As far as spreading rumors go, please quit it - I'm tired of hearing all of them constantly. If that guy from NC showed up and said that the state was considering requiring people from GA to prove that they're not inbred before they rode on the gap, would you be telling that to the world, too?

It really is aggrevating to hear all this BS... I had a buddy tell me last week that the gap averages one death per week.. he was so misinformed, and I had to explain that at least 3 tourons per week die there!
The rumors are definitely getting old. This Demian guy has been spreading that rumor on several boards this week.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
PJFZ1 said:

Damn, high strung are we? Pull over and practice some deep breathing... :lao

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Damn, high strung are we? Pull over and practice some deep breathing... :lao
It just strikes me as wrong after the last couple of years of it - I've got hundreds of safe passes on the Dragon, and many friends among the locals who are great people.

These rumors just tarnish a great road and area, and if anything raise the Macho quotient for the squids from out of state who go there and try to make it even more difficult to keep out of the news and rumor mills.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
PJFZ1 said:
It just strikes me as wrong after the last couple of years of it - I've got hundreds of safe passes on the Dragon, and many friends among the locals who are great people.

These rumors just tarnish a great road and area, and if anything raise the Macho quotient for the squids from out of state who go there and try to make it even more difficult to keep out of the news and rumor mills.
I agree with everything you said. Of course, I take medicine for my blood pressure. ;-) :cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
I maybe wrong, but if you go to the website, it says that they have 1.3 deaths a year since 1995-96. I don't think that is a lot considering the amount of riders that visits that stretch of road. I think they have had 2-3 deaths this year. If it is not the Dragon's tail, it would be another twisted road that riders will be killed on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts