Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, after weeks of debating on what we should do in order to get to the east coast, my wife and i finally decided on our course of action.

my plan was to go to work this morning, talk to NC1 (navy career counselor) and get the paperwork rolling on our decision. THEN . . .

NC1 phoned me up and told me that the detailer was willing to send me to the east coast w/out doing the one year bahrain or one year USNS. the deal is, the detailer said she would send us to norfolk for my sea duty, but the only platforms i can choose are carriers!!!!! i absolutely have no desire to get assigned to a carrier. but this is a definite east coast move and it puts us in the position we want to be in, in order to do my shore duty in italy. it gives me east coast asset status, but i have to go to a carrier.

so, now here are my options:

1) extend one more year here in san diego on shore duty, then choose a one year unaccompanied tour to bahrain, then choose the east coast.
2) extend one more year here in san diego on shore duty, then choose a one year USNS assignment, then choose the east coast.
3) don't extend one more year here, but take orders to a carrier in norfolk in october.

to me, this is equivalent to, do you want to be punched in the nuts or kicked in the nuts?

ugh, what to do, what to do.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
No clue.....

In the USAF the choice is usually, go to korea, or stay in a desolate town. Most choose korea so they can go somewheres nice :)

Hope that helps .

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
absolutely . . . NOT! :)

my sister is in the USAF (weather) assigned to an army unit, she loves it, but also has told me the same about the regular USAF. she gets a different aspect being assigned to an army unit.

i think we'll stick with what we decided since our plan - option 1 - was put in place (mentally).

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
coronado, how long have you been in now? Do you have your ESWS pin? If not this is a perfect oppurtinity to get it. If your not already an E-6 you'll need it to get advanced to E-6 (or at least you used to)

Plus you'll get to see some great places

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do not have my pin yet but now they really don't count for much as they used to. you do not get any extra advancement points for them now either. however, even though they supposedly do not count anymore, they carry a lot of weight with the detailers and other factors (i.e. up for chief).

i know if i go to a carrier, i am the type of person to get both SW/AW in minimal time, but i don't want to go to a carrier b/c you can get more responsibility on a small platform than you can on a carrier. on a small platform, i'd be able to assume more higher paygrade responsibilities in addition to my work style, so that is why i don't want to get assigned to a CVN.

·
20,262 Posts
What's your rate?

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IT2 (not sure if this was a rate while you were in, but it is a combination of DP and RM)

·
20,262 Posts
I remember when the DS's combined with the DP's to makes RM's...showing my age again? :D

WHy not try and go for a small boy then? Plenty of curisers and destroyers out there.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there aren't any billets open for a small boy in the states for ITs (as of right now)

the only reason she's willing to let us change coasts is b/c nobody (at least ITs) wants to go to a carrier. the detailer mentioned they had 5 carriers she would let me go to, or the uss bonhomme richard in san diego (lsd 6 i think is the hull number). no thank you.

·
20,262 Posts
The bohomme richard is the better bet then a carrier, only 1000 folks when the marines aren't onboard, alot of things you could take charge off. I did 2yrs on the BOXER and the madien cruise.

I find it hard that there are no IT billets on a small boy.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
coronadozx said:
1) extend one more year here in san diego on shore duty, then choose a one year unaccompanied tour to bahrain, then choose the east coast.
2) extend one more year here in san diego on shore duty, then choose a one year USNS assignment, then choose the east coast.
3) don't extend one more year here, but take orders to a carrier in norfolk in october.
Think CAREER ENHANCING ASSIGNMENT. If you were in my office I would tell you 1 or 3.

With option 1, you go to an overseas/arduous location, get paid well, knock out some college courses, get involved in the command (command collateral duties), then go on to a choice follow-on assignment.

With option 3, if you don't already have it, you can get your SW/AW which you WILL NEED FOR E7. There are ways to shine amongst your peers on a carrier. Just think COMMAND collateral duties or even duties like Work Center Supe. Stuff that will put you ahead of your peers.

Option 2 won't get you anywhere as far as advancement in my opinion. From what I remember, it's almost skate duty. No real way to stand out. You do your job and that's it. Unless duty has changed on a USNS from the last time I got someone orders to one.

·
20,262 Posts
Bomb, i thought if you were at a sea billet and up for E-6 is was a required thing to have your ESWS?

·
20,262 Posts
jim schmidt said:
I have to admit I'm a little surprised that all this quid pro quo is required for you to get what you want. All this tit for tat seems really over the top.

Is your detailer a big narcissist?

Needs of the Navy my friend, needs of the Navy. Alot of detailers I knew really didn't care too much for the job because they really couldn't look out for the interest of the sailor.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Rascus said:
Bomb, i thought if you were at a sea billet and up for E-6 is was a required thing to have your ESWS?
Yes, if you are on a ship, you have 18 months from the time you arrive onboard to get your ESWS. If you do not, you will not be eligible/recommended for advancement/take the exam.

But, having both pins will make him look even better when it comes time for the selection board.

·
20,262 Posts
Oh agree both pins will help out alot :cheers

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rascus said:
The bohomme richard is the better bet then a carrier, only 1000 folks when the marines aren't onboard, alot of things you could take charge off. I did 2yrs on the BOXER and the madien cruise.

I find it hard that there are no IT billets on a small boy.
not this cycle, and not for my NECs.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jim schmidt said:
I have to admit I'm a little surprised that all this quid pro quo is required for you to get what you want. All this tit for tat seems really over the top.

Is your detailer a big narcissist?

just the way it is now-a-days. the navy no longer overlooks the things it has in the past. a prt failure in today's navy can seriously hurt your advancement and have an adverse affect on your evaluations, therefore your career. 3 prt failures in a 4 year period and you are done; 2 DUIs and you are out, no questions asked. there are no more detailer-sailor "hook-ups" regardless of who you know. a sailor cannot say they are not going to reenlist if they do not get the orders they desire, no matter how "A.J. squared away" he/she is.

the navy is making it so hard now for people to stay in that if you are willing to stay in for 20 years, you're going to have to earn it.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bomb300 said:
Yes, if you are on a ship, you have 18 months from the time you arrive onboard to get your ESWS. If you do not, you will not be eligible/recommended for advancement/take the exam.

But, having both pins will make him look even better when it comes time for the selection board.

not trying to argue, but there was an E-6 (retired about 8 months ago) at my current command who did not get his SW until after he was an E-6. he got his SW pin while serving TAD on board a minesweeper b/c he served with that OIC at another command.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts