Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i'm new to this forum.
I got my '06 FZ6 about a month or so ago. My only complaint is that the clutch engagement seems to be very narrow so I can't "work the clutch" for slow speed maneauvers (excuse my spelling) very well. I haven't found another thread on this unfortunately. I talked to the shop and they said there's nothing they can do. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem? And have they found a way to adjust/fix it?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Practice makes perfect is all I can suggest. Not much can be done about the friction zone on our clutch. One guy did make a liitle doo-hickey that seemed to help but not sure who.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
There is a fix for sale in the classified section....killernoodle's clutch slave replacement...increase the leverage and increased the action....problem solved. Another member is selling his (selling the FZ6 as stock) for $20.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think once you get use to it, you'll like it. The narrow engagement range out at the end of the lever travel makes shifting up and down fast and easy, with not much more than just a quick flick of the clutch lever. It now makes the clutch action, full lever movement, on my Harley and XS650 seem like I'm using a one of those hand exercise squeeze things. roger

·
Squaring Off City Corners
1,109 Posts
i've gotten my speed down to about 5 mph indicated without having to feather the clutch - engine in first has no problem with that speed. maybe get used to using the rear brake during slow maneuvers - that helps a lot.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I simply adjusted my clutch lever so there's a ton of slack and it engages about halfway back. Its definately one of the 4 or 5 things I really don't like about my FZ6

·
Drunken Philosopher
947 Posts
Killernoodle made them - I missed the offer, didn't catch up w/ him until after school started....which should be ending soon....hmmm....if he's not in the middle of finals, maybe we'll hear from him.

I had similar problems when I got the bike. I was so not used to such a small friction zone, I was stalling it a lot, enough to be really frustrating. I've gotten used to it. It's different than my truck, that's for sure... Give it some time, maybe a little quality time in a parking lot going around in circles

+1 to Fred's comment on using the rear brake to slow the bike in lo-speed maneuvers

·
Registered
674 Posts
Auto part Engine Motorcycle accessories Vehicle Disc brake

Hope this comes out...If your handy with a welder the clutch arm can be cut and extended about 5/8"..This reduces the amount of "pull" and increases the engagement area...works good....:cheers

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey jlehman78! Welcome aboard.

Yes, the FZ6 has a narrow clutch engagement. It didn't take me long to get use to it <maybe a few days at most> and now it's no issue at all. Sorry I can't help you more than that.

·
Little Foxen
356 Posts
I love the clutch engagement on this bike. The narrow friction zone took some getting used to, but it really is a breeze once you've gotten the hang of it (which only takes a couple of weeks). Once you are familiar with it, changing gears is much quicker, and there is no problem with feathering or slipping the clutch if need be. I find that I can be very precise with the clutch despite the small amount of movement involved—or perhaps because of the small amount of movement. Large friction zones, in my opinion, are basically just a way of compensating for the fact that a lot of people have sloppy technique and need a forgiving margin of error.

Stop making mistakes, and you find that the margin for error just becomes annoying.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i have killernoodles clutch slave lever and it really sorts the problem out! not only does it increase feel in the friction zone, it also makes it easier to hold the clutch in at stop lights and makes it lighter work on your hand due to the extra leverage. i don't know if he's still makin em but if you can i seriously suggest you get one! Also i must add that the build quality of killernoodles lever is 10 times better than the stock one, which appears to have just been "Tacked" on!

·
Registered
691 Posts
well he posted a thread on here recently saying that he was thinking of starting a parts fabrication business, that was a couple of weeks back so he still hangs around here, drop him a PM......

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
vaanen said:
well he posted a thread on here recently saying that he was thinking of starting a parts fabrication business, that was a couple of weeks back so he still hangs around here, drop him a PM......
Yes, open the flood gates once again :)

If I make them this time, I'm probably going to send them out to be water jetted in bulk, most of my time was spend at the band saw and grinder shaping. I'd also probably make the cable hanger so that the side load on the cable isnt so much. I made this piece for my bike, but it would be difficult to make one for everyone elses too the way that I did it.

·
Cappo
872 Posts
Another thing that can help in slow speed maneuvers is to put the bike in second gear until you get used to where your bike's clutch engages. By slow speed I am assuming you are at the speed where your feet are not on the pegs and sort of "walking" the bike in the maneuver.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts