Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I call my buddy up today askin if he wants to get a ride for tommoro. He said he got a nail in his back tire. He says that the tire is not loosing any air, but he is still concerned with riding. I told him to call a few places but everywhere he called said they wanted around $200 or more to fix/replace it.

I figured i'd ask everyone on here first. What so he do? I was wondering if he could get the nail takin out then patch it up as compared to replacing the entire tire? Or is the only option getting another tire? Or is there something else he can do? I told him to check out the site so he will probably check on the thread. Any help is appreciated, thanks. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
The best thing to do is replace it. If you would rather fix it find a place that still patches tires. Make sure that it is a patch that is inside the tire and not just a plug. You can put a plug in it to get the bike some place to have it fixed just don't ride hard with the plug in, they can come out.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Just replace the tire. There is too much at stake to have a blow out when riding.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Ah, the age-old plug it or replace it question. I had a mushroom plug put in the rear after getting a nail and went another 3000 trouble-free milles. If the shop knows what they are doing and the hole is close to the middle of the tread, a mushroom plug put in from the inside works fine. Might not trust it at the track, but for "normal" riding it's fine. The shop that did mine for $25 runs track days as well so I guess they know what they are doing. Plus, they've never heard of one of their plugs failing.

BTW, know why you never get a nail in the front tire? The nail is lying flat on the road when the front kicks it up for the rear to run over NOT flat on the road. Someone who does failure analysis on tires and wheels told me that. YMMV.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Repair it, keep an eye on it occasionally so that there is no shape distortion(damaged belting) if it starts to look funny at all change it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Peresonally I'd Replace the tire it is not safe I had a 85 mile an HR blow out on my corvette the tire was just patched so I say replace it Just My .02 !!!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
dont forget the tire doesnt have steel belts like car tires, its just nylon, and thin not much for the plug to grab on too., ive plugged and pached and it was fine, but if i had to race I couldnt, it was just for cruising.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That depends on how big the nail is; I had the same problem, so I pulled the nail. It was about 3/4 of an inch long and I took a tube of superglue and squirted the whole tube in the hole. A few minutes later, I aired up the tire, applied some soap on the hole and it was airtight. It never leaked and I never worried about it until I had to replace the tire from mormal wear.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
I'm with the majority, get a new tire.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
A proper inside patch can't push out. The liklihood of belt failure is miniscule after a nail puncture. If it makes you feel better, get a new tire. But don't do it because of handwringing.

Plugs, are notorious for failing. But I've never heard of a properly patched tire, bike or car, failing, track or street.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Seeing as how most people ride 'balls out' on the street instead of saving it for the track.......get a new tire.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used to be with the majority here and say get a new tire. But in the last 1½ years I've run over a nail/screw 6 times!! I've bought 4 brand new tires (two withen 2months of eachother) then I finally said screw this and had one plugged and patched by the local shop. (my 5th) I took the tire off and they charge $25. I ran with that setup for 3000miles before I ran over something AGAIN! :mad: This time I bought a race takeoff from the owner of the shop and run that. Cheaper than a new tire.

So see if they offer race takeoff's. If not just have them do a plug/patch combo. If they know what they are doing it shouldnt be a problem. I've ran that thing hard on the street and at the drag strip with the plug/patch in there and haven't had a problem. 150+ doesnt bother it either.

Wes

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sugessted for him to try a plug. But he is still kind of weary. He makes a good point. We only got 2 tires, he wouldn't feel safe riding with that in the back of his mind. On a car at least you got 3 other tires, a bike it's just one. Wouldn't want anything to happen going 90. Wouldn't want to take that chance.

I'd probably get it replaced just to be on the safe side and it looks like thats what he is going to do. Thanks for the info. :D

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I guess I am with the majority and think you should replace the tire, I've ridden with a plugged tire but just for a couple of days till my tires came in and then replaced them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got my first flat this past Thursday and while I was riding!
I was doing a nice sweeping left-handed ramp when I felt the ass end start to shake. The guys behind me said they saw sparks coming from my rear tire, checked the rim, no damage so my only guess is that it was the nail that eventually worked its way out.
Pulled over and there was a nice hole in the tire where the nail was and damn that tire was HOT!
Bike is in the shop right now getting a new tire.

·
Registered
389 Posts
2 choices totally up to you. It comes down to how much money you're willing to spend to eliminate the IMHO very little chance of a plugg failure. I plugged two tires, one by myself (from the outside in). None failed. But the peace of mind you get from knowing your tires are 100% is sure worth the price of a new tire. I did it because at the time I didn't have the money, period. So it was either plug it or not ride.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts