Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Rod here, ima newb to the sportbike community, just wanted to drop by say hi n stuff. I do have a question tho. I'm really looking into getting a bike. I've seen really cheap ones on ebay that ive actually gone to look at, they were all as described, there was a 2002 R1 for 3,500 with 2k miles..why so cheap? but anyway, whats a good beginner bike for someone thats never drove a motorcycle? i appreciate any advice, thanks

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
NOT THE R1 get a 250 or a 500 to start

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
ne_ZX said:
whats funny...?
You are not going to be able to handle the power and are going to waste a good R1 in the process

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would watch the things you on ebay. Being someone that has never rode any type of bike in his life, the R1 is really to much. I have rode and raced dirt bike most of my life and I only got a zx9 to start on the street. once I can ride this one then I will move up. Maybe you should start a little smaller.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I really think that a newb thread should be set up just for "Will this bike kill me?" posts.......

·
Registered
136 Posts
He never said he was gonna get the r1, he just asked why it was cheap. Go with the advice though and go for a Kawasaki ex250 or 500.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
^^^^

You've been drinking, haven't you?

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Oh hell ya, yje r-1 is a whimps bike. I would sujesst you skip it and move directly to a Bus hopefully one with a turbo or bawssssss that will thin the bad gene pool that much faster for us all :D

u crazy mofo.. :alky :alky

·
Registered
206 Posts
THAT is absurd! I hope to god your kidding. If not your in trouble. Your most likely going to get killed or maimed badly. Scroll this these forums. Tons of post about people getting to big of a bike and getting it wrecked or much worse.

Some people :dunno

·
Cool and Refreshing
703 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Oh hell ya, yje r-1 is a whimps bike. I would sujesst you skip it and move directly to a Bus hopefully one with a turbo or bawssssss that will thin the bad gene pool that much faster for us all :D
:lol KH you always saying some crazy shit, Im crackin up.

·
Cool and Refreshing
703 Posts
ne_ZX said:
Hey everyone, Rod here, ima newb to the sportbike community, just wanted to drop by say hi n stuff. I do have a question tho. I'm really looking into getting a bike. I've seen really cheap ones on ebay that ive actually gone to look at, they were all as described, there was a 2002 R1 for 3,500 with 2k miles..why so cheap? but anyway, whats a good beginner bike for someone thats never drove a motorcycle? i appreciate any advice, thanks
Ok Rod, first off welcome to SBN :)twofinger <~~ SBN's standard greeting)
2nd, if your considering uptaking the sport congrats to you, its more than just a sport its a lifestyle, an awsome comrodery(sp?) with peeps.:dblthumb

Should you decide to pursue getting a bike, I would highly recomend you taking the MSF course, unless you have an extensive background in riding dirt. Alot of people in here (myself included) did not take the MSF course, BUT I have been riding on 2 wheels since I was about 9 years old.

AS far as bike selection, which is very important, in your case Im going to say start small and get to learn the bike and the basic princaples(sp?). Like some of the other guys have said, a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, I think Suzuki makes a small bike which is smaller than the Katana 600 its a GSXE 500 if I am to be correct, or even a Suzuki Katana 600 is a good begginer bike, and it has a little more umph than ll the others.

Reason we say start off small is because all the bikes listed above have less than 80 horse power, and of all those the Katana is the most powerful at 80hp and I think all the other have less than 70hp.

Your asking why do we suggest a bike that is so weak in horse power, well just sit back and I will tell you my friend. The majority of the bikes that we ride weigh less than 500 pounds, some weigh less than 400. A beginner bike with that little horsepower with that much weight is still gonna get on down the road and boogy, now think about it like this, the same weight with
127hp - 155hp. As a begginer it would be no time before you really hurt yourself or someone else if you had a bike with that much horse power and you not knowing all the mechanics that are involved in riding.

Now lets get in the gear part of this. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR, NO EXCEPTIONS. There is 1 thing I can tell you right now that you can count on, and yeah it sux but you know what its gonna happen. YOU WILL GO DOWN, its just a matter of time, it might not be your fault, it might be, it might not happen next week or next year or even 5 years, but 1 day you will go down, I promise you. So minimal protection that you should wear when you ride is a leather or textile jacket, riding gloves(preferably with carbon fiber knuckles and carbon fiber on the outher palm area) and helmet, DOT and SNELL Approved. Road rash is not something that feels good, and I am am saying that from experience. If you have never had road rash before, image your arm, leg or whatever that is rashed, the meat and nerves are so sensative you can feel the SLIGHTEST wind draft in the room. Do yourself and your skin and hand and head a favor and wear all your gear all the time.

And as far as e-bay goes, there are so many damn scams with bikes on there its pathetic. I dont suggest shopping on e-bay for a bike, although alot of the auctions are real, I just wouldnt suggest it. As far as an 02 R1 for 3,500 bux, either its been wrecked or its a scam or the auction wasnt over yet.

I hope all of this has helped you in your quest, good luck and when and iff you start riding ---- Ride (speed) safe and keep the rubber side down.

Sorry for the long read but I had alot to say.

·
Registered
319 Posts
UGA Dave said:
And as far as e-bay goes, there are so many damn scams with bikes on there its pathetic. I dont suggest shopping on e-bay for a bike, although alot of the auctions are real, I just wouldnt suggest it.
I just bought a bike on ebay and it worked out well. A few days after I won, I picked it up in person (3 hour drive), which is the only way I'd recommend doing it. I had a chance to completely look it over and even testdrive it before handing over a single dollar. The guy was really nice, and the bike was exactly as described. He even gave me $100 back as I was leaving, to cover the (cosmetically) damaged clutch lever he'd been meaning to replace (and something else small). Now, he didn't have to do that.

Just wanted to point out that there are some good people and fair deals on ebay, too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
get ex250, ex500 max. There's more than plenty of power on either one

·
Registered
297 Posts
bike

Hello friends
i have bought my v-max on e-bay and my 2002 ford crew cab diesel last week on e-bay. Thing is i went and looked at the vehicle before giving up the money.
The v-max i went to birmingham alabama to get it.
Told the guy that if i bought it i would come and get it, he was ok with that.
If u are looking at something, ask around here for someone to go and look at the bike for u. I bet u can't go 20 miles in the whole usa that doesn't have a member here.
Oh, get a ninja 250 to start with, u will kill yourself on anything b***** than a 600.
later

1 - 20 of 20 Posts