Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

so i really want a sport bike now. I've been driving my dads harley heritage softail all summer, and its just not my style. (i hate it). My roommate for next year has an R6, i rode that and fell in love with it. However i feel i'd die on that and my mom feels the same way. I've been looking at the FZ6, from what i hear its a bit less all out racing, and more comfortable. It's a 40 minute ride to work for me, and the R6 got uncomfortable after 5. Is this a good bike? Any thoughts on it for a first real bike?

Also, any ideas how to make my mom not cry at the thought of me on a sportbike?

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
mikef98765 said:
hey guys,

so i really want a sport bike now. I've been driving my dads harley heritage softail all summer, and its just not my style. (i hate it). My roommate for next year has an R6, i rode that and fell in love with it. However i feel i'd die on that and my mom feels the same way. I've been looking at the FZ6, from what i hear its a bit less all out racing, and more comfortable. It's a 40 minute ride to work for me, and the R6 got uncomfortable after 5. Is this a good bike? Any thoughts on it for a first real bike?

Also, any ideas how to make my mom not cry at the thought of me on a sportbike?
i cant get mine to stop crying still! she will get over it though if its somethign you want to do. I just got my bike a month ago. First bike that is. I also have a 40 min ride/drive to work. I bought a honda VFR 800 for my first bike. it cost me about five grand. its very comfortable and gets great mileage and is still fast as hell. MY buddy who has hardly ridden a bicycle in his life got a suzuki katana 600 as his first bike and its the perfect beginner bike for him and is designed very comfortably also. Most sportbikes though are uncomfortable, even mine and some other not true SS bikes are uncomfortable.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ahhh. . . .5th time this thread has been here this week. . .are you ready?

Same answer. . . sportbike with a little less "All out racing", and lower seat position, b***** more comfortable seat, but still is a sportbike and has lots of fairings so it looks cool (you know girls cant tell the difference), plus somethings that's a little less Expensive so you wont feel so bad when you drop it. . . . . . That's right folks, I'm talking about the One, the only, the Wonderful, fabulous, spectacular, Suzuki Katana!!!!

Kataaaaaannnnna

·
Registered
252 Posts
FZ6 is still a lot of bike. Essentially an R6 engine tuned for better low/midrange power.

I'd recommend an SV650S if you've been riding some already.

MSF & full gear also, of course.

So your mom is OK with you riding a harley but not a sportbike? Statistically I don't think there's much difference between the two in terms of safety ...cagers don't discriminate -- they'll try to kill you regardless of whether you're on a scooter, a harley, or a sportbike. Of course if you ride like an idiot on the sportbike, that's a different story.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I ride my R6 about 100 miles a day, feels comfy to me :) All I need now is a pillow on the tank, lay out and go to sleep :smilierr

You'll get use to the feel, your wrists will get stronger and so will your back--it's like working out, only you do it on your way to work :lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry for the repost guys.

but yeah i think she's scared im gonna do stupid shit on a sport bike, but i really dont know why she lets me ride the harley but not anythign else.

Anyway the 650s looks pretty cool. Looks are a pretty big part of my decision, im sure any of these bikes are gonna have more power than i'll ever use. I dont really like the looks of the katana, and my mom would never go for a bike that looks like that anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Triumph Baby! Get a TT 600 or a Daytona 600 (or even 650). Beautiful, different, not quite as powerful as the r6, gsxr, etc. but, still up there in horsepower (110). The TT 600 has a little bit more upright position, and you can get it cheap since they don't make it anymore.

Also, driving a british bike is soo much better than joining that japanese riding crowd. :grin

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
The FZ6 is a good bike. It is docile in the lower revs and has forgiving handling. If you wind it up it will also scream! If you plan to do much commuting, however, get a Corbin seat. The stock one feels like a brick after about 50 miles.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
I gotta say go with the FZ6 as well.
However, I'm assuming you've got some riding experience worth talking about. You said you've been riding your Dad's H.D. "all summer"... I know people who have been riding for 2 years and have racked up a whopping 500 miles. :rolleyes So, it's hard to know what "all summer" equates to. I wouldn't recommend the FZ to a new rider, but if you've got some experience, it's a great choice. Much more comfortable than the SV, and MUCH prettier. :lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just spent the weekend on my roommates R6, pushing it a little bit, and i have to say its really not uncomfortable once you figure out how to sit, so i think the FZ6 will feel great.

All summer doesn't mean much. I still am not a great rider, as i learned on the R6, but im at least safe.

I doubt im gonna buy a bike this summer now, its getting late, and it just isn't worth the hassle of making my mom upset. In a month and a half i'll have an R6 to tool around on permanently.

BTW... women fucking love this thing!!! (R6) and every guy i pulled up to from minivan to corvette gave me an "i hate you" look.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
the sv650 gets my vote, and look for a used one you'll save some cash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts