Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a bit of a split post from the previous post on one of my Brother's, if you haven't been following, I'll just make a brief summary right quick...

Julian wants a bike.
He SOMEWHAT listens to my advice and gets an '02 CBR 600RR. (I advised him against this, but he got it anyway)
Another of our Brother's rides his 600RR and drops it.
He rides a friend's 2004 R1 and totals it, and rashes himself up good (still freshly scarred).
His '02 600RR gets stolen.
He gets a brand spankin new '05 GSX-R 1000 Black and Red.

...And that brings us to now.

So I finally decide to call him up and see how things are going with him. He says things have been ok, and he wants me to check out his bike. So I suit up and head out. We meet at a Backyard Burger and sure enough he has an '05 1000 that looks just like mine, only it looks like it had been raised, and a different windscreen. He says he's been taking it easy and all, and I said that's about all you can do for a very long while and that he's already made up his mind about the bike, so all I can do is teach him all I know in order for him not to kill himself.

I had told him about the MSF course before he got his first bike, and now he plans to get into the course on the 1000. So hopefully he'll learn the rest of what he needs to know there. We then talked and I met his girlfriend (who is quite a cutie, that I would HATE to see him get rashed up) which was why I asked almost right away did he have a jacket for her and he said he was working on that. I started to tell him she should be wearing his jacket, but I doubt he would listen anyway. But anywho, after about 30 minutes of chit-chat he wanted to go for a brisk ride for about 20 minutes before he had to go in to work.

I accepted and we suited up again and I let him lead out. Before we got out of the parking lot, I could already see things he needed to work on. For one thing, he shouldn't be having a passenger in the learning stages of riding, but I think he has a whole month's worth of experience so he should be fine. :bitchslap Leaving the parking spot, he made a seriously wide turn to the driveway in which he could have hit anything that was on-coming. I hope it was intentional but I don't see why. When we were approaching the driveway, he was dragging his feet before he came to a stop which made me
think he was about to dump it right there. The last thing I noticed is that he was in too high an RPM at his level, 2nd gear at 50mph around 5500RPM, thats damn near the peak powerband, one slip of the wrist and he could loop it.

Other than that, I guess he did ok for a n00b, but I'm definitely worried about him when it comes to a panic moment and will he be able to re-act accordingly. If it weren't raining today, I would try to give him guidance. Oh, and another thing I found out, a lot of his friends have pretty much done the same thing he had done and have, one R1, a guy on an R6, and another '05 1000. *big sigh* All I can do is hope and try to continue to teach.

Why did I make this post? Good question...I really don't know... :cheers :banana

·
Banned
216 Posts
Just shaking my head. I dont see the appeal of a Liter bike I really dont. I'd much rather ride a 600 and maybe even smaller and beat the hell out of it and have total control of it. By the way I wasnt aware they made the 600RR in 02?

·
Registered
89 Posts
good luck to your friend, he will need it. Get him to get some gear for his girl so that if he does go down it won't be as bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd put money on him droping it. you should tell his girlfriend to stay off of it. He wont listen- if he had any common sense he would not of bought the bike.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Twinsen, gixxerworld....when u think about it u can kinda understand why so many noobs want this bike...its an awesome bike :phatyo Im not saying its a good bike for noobs but they ask questions and they read mags they want to know what is the fastest, most powerful. Hopefully u can steer your friend in the right direction (no pun intended). Its not a good bike to start on but it can be done with a level head and controlled wrist. He already has it so the best you can do is try to keep him safe and under control on it. Its very easy to do something stupid on this bike.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
GixxerJRG said:
Twinsen, gixxerworld....when u think about it u can kinda understand why so many noobs want this bike...its an awesome bike :phatyo Im not saying its a good bike for noobs but they ask questions and they read mags they want to know what is the fastest, most powerful. Hopefully u can steer your friend in the right direction (no pun intended). Its not a good bike to start on but it can be done with a level head and controlled wrist. He already has it so the best you can do is try to keep him safe and under control on it. Its very easy to do something stupid on this bike.
That's the problem, when I was 20ish I couldn't be steered in the rite direction:lao

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
just work with him and hopefully you can guide him along safely. that is a hell of alot of bike for a noob we all know, but this really sounds like he could get in over his head fast. I just hope he is smart.

·
Registered
905 Posts
it makes me sad how many of theses kick-ass new gixxer 1K's are gonna get fucked up in the hands of retards.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Twinsen, do alot of your friends come down to Olive Branch Suzuki Yamaha to buy these new bikes? I swear, we sell a few a week to noobs and I end up working on them a week later because they are all smashed up.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
matt23 said:
Does the 05 1k come in black and red?
I assume they are referring to the black and silver with red graphics. I was thinking the same thing though because there isnt a black and red for 05.

·
Registered
229 Posts
G L said:
it makes me sad how many of theses kick-ass new gixxer 1K's are gonna get fucked up in the hands of retards.
hit eBay, search for "gsx* 1000" in motorcycle parts and accessories and look at the amount of shit there that's come off of wadded-up '05 bikes, it's amazing

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I hope this story does not have a sad ending before too long.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He is my brother in another since, not by blood. But he does remind me of myself when I was 2 years younger. Actually looks like me, acts kinda like me, and has a lifestyle like me (job is the same, has glasses when I had them, etc..). As far as his first bike, I meant '03. And yeah, on the '05, the Black/Silver with red graphics, heh, whatever the color is.

Redstar11:
Yeah, he said most of his friends got them from Olive Branch Suzuki. He got his from Performance Plus though.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts