Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that upsets me to no end is when a new rider is given bad advice. Think about it, when you’re a new rider, you tend to turn to sources you trust, a friend for instance. What happens when that friend is given the wrong advice? He passes it on and the chain of misinformation stays intact. Here are a few bits of advice that seem to stick and will not go away.

Helmets will break your neck in a fall:
This one is BIG. There’s always been a huge debate on whether to wear helmets or not. In my opinion, the debate should be about personal choice. Instead, this little gem has been brought out as supporting “evidence” that helmets are the devil. Now, I’m not denying the possibility, in all truth, the evidence supports that you’re EQUALLY as likely to sustain a neck or spinal injury whether you are wearing a helmet or not. Another thing that they show is that a helmeted rider who has perished in a crash has to sustain greater injury then a rider not wearing a helmet in order to do so.* I will warn you with this one, there are some people that are pretty persistent with this one. I’m guessing that their craniums are thick enough to absorb a large impact. The bottom line is, wear a helmet if you want to live longer.

Don’t use your front brake:
This one is easy and yet so common. A bike rolls around its axis. Think of it in terms of a teeter- totter. When you hit the front brake, the braking forces push the weight of the bike forward. When you hit the rear brake, the braking forces push the weight of the bike forward. In other words, since the weight is forward and the rear isn’t weighted, which brake do you think is more effective in stopping the bike with the weight on the front wheel? Well, considering your rear wheel is not weighted and your front wheel is, this means most of the traction is coming from the front wheel. As a matter of fact, if your rear tire is in the air, 100% of your stopping power is on the front tire. In other words, use the front brake if you want to stop.

Riding next to your friend is cool:
I see riders next to each other in the same lane constantly. This one seems like a simple one, but it doesn’t seem to register. When you ride right next to someone, you take away a lane of escape should you need to perform an emergency maneuver. You always need to leave yourself an out. Ride staggered. Besides, it looks codependent.

Loud pipes save lives:
This one will cause arguments, but science kind of poops on this one. Sound comes out in waves. The waves go where they are directed. In other words, sound coming out of a motorcycle pipe is forced out backwards, meaning that if they don’t have anything to bounce off of and go directly forward, they don’t. Try this. When you’re driving next to a loud bike on the highway, roll up your windows. If you go behind them, you can hear it perfectly. If you pass them (safely and respectfully) you won’t hear them. There’s a larger point to this also. Don’t think that you’re safer because of your pipe. All you’re doing is getting riders banned from neighborhoods and downtown streets. Don’t believe me? Try riding in downtown Chicago with a loud pipe.

Don’t use your rear brake:
I’m guilty of this also. In most racing schools, they frown on rear brake use, at least the ones I’ve been to. They have a point in the sense that racing stops are harder then street stops. If you’re coming to a normal stop, then the rear brake is perfectly fine. It settles the bike a little and allows some correction. You have it, use it.

You’ll get sucked under a semi if you ride next to one:
This is my favorite. I’ve ridden next to semi trucks often and have yet to experience this sucking. I’m a guy and it there’s sucking going on, I’ll find it. The only thing that sucks is that people keep this one going. It’s not a good idea to ride in one’s blind spot because they can’t see you, of course. Riding behind one is not a good idea either, they can mask obstacles that are coming up and those long strips of rubber you see lying on the road are coming from the semis. Those are things you want to avoid. Don’t worry about being sucked under one when you’re passing. You’ve got plenty of real things to worry about.

You’ll outgrow a 600 in a month:
In a word, impossible. Today’s motorcycles have limits so far beyond those of a new rider that you wouldn’t outgrow a 250 in a year. The idea is to learn good technique and have fun. How can you have fun if you’re intimidated by the bike? How are you going to learn to ride comfortably when you’re scared of how the motorcycle will react? Anyone can twist the throttle and go straight. It takes skill and knowledge to turn, stop and react properly to a situation. You can’t do this if you can’t control the bike.

I’ll get laid if I buy a bike:
If this is your motivation for buying a motorcycle, save your money. If you’re an ugly person who can’t get laid, do you think placing a machine next to you is going to fool someone into thinking you aren’t a troll? I’ve never gotten laid because of my bike, usually there is some sort of alcohol involved. If you’re buying a bike to compensate for something, visit a plastic surgeon instead, please.

I’m sure I’m missing a thousand or so more of these, but, if it sounds really stupid, chances are it is. If you have a question, please consult the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, or read up on it. Don’t just take my word for it.

MSF- Check it out
Journal of Trauma Medicine helmet study

·
Registered
7 Posts
:banana Hahahahhahaha I like the Laid Rule. Sweet.
The real funny is that some blokes actually buy bikes for that reason.:lao

1 - 2 of 2 Posts