21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i love the color.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Awesome stuff. I had a 1986 Yamaha Radian that was VERY similar to the Zephyr.

I wish I had never sold it...

·
Jive Turkey
4,528 Posts
^ I have a buddy with an '89 Radian that he bought in mid-'07 with 11K or 13K miles, and now has about 32K miles on it. It's definitely been a great bike (he still has it, but last Sept bought an '03 Triumph Speed Triple, so the Rad probably won't see too many miles unless his little brother decides to ride).

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
^ I have a buddy with an '89 Radian that he bought in mid-'07 with 11K or 13K miles, and now has about 32K miles on it. It's definitely been a great bike (he still has it, but last Sept bought an '03 Triumph Speed Triple, so the Rad probably won't see too many miles unless his little brother decides to ride).
Yup. Mine was pristine with about 9,000 on the clock. Of course it fell over in storage and then started to nickel and dime me with little things like carb rebuilds and such, and stupidly I sold the thing and bought the Ninja.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Ninja, but that Radian was awesome and I wish I still had it around.

Now, back on topic...

That tank looks BADASS!! I really like that color a lot. For some reason on my PC last night it wasn't showing those large images, so I couldn't see how great it turned out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The ZX6 gold rotors installed. Really updated the look of the bike, did more than I expected. On the performance side they weigh .2 of a Lb less per rotor! The stock rotors have 8 rivets and the ZX6 ones have 7. Looks like the surface has more holes drilled as well.

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts
Nice project. I like the color. Looks really good and not over cooked like some builds turn out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got it running this weekend. Had to do a few carb adjustments to get the idle decent. This thing sounds great with the Kerker pipe and thanks to the adjustable chain tensioner no more timing chain slap.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Fitting up the KR1 wheels

Started with the wheels this weekend. Cleaning the green paint off with super strip wasn't fun at all. Very messy, stinky, and tedious. Cleaning it off the machined outer surface wasn't that bad, but the spokes of the wheel? UGG! Spent all day messing with this thing. These wheels were painted about 5 times. First off came the green, then white, then purple, then blue, then GREEN AGAIN! :mad:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here are a few pics of them mounted. The front is pretty straight forward. Inner bearing diameters are the same so the axle slides right in. Looks like I may have to shave about an 1/8 inch or 1/16th off the stock Zephyr speedo housing and put a spacer on the other side. Disks bolt right up and the calipers slide over to fit them quite well. It's too bad one of the calipers froze up and now I have to rebuild them... :(

Unfortunately the rear wheel does not share a similar story. Had a hard time centering the wheel and lining up the chain. I may have to space out the front sprocket an 1/8th to get the chain straight. Now, since I got a new SS braided brake line kit I want to avoid relocating the rear caliper under the swing arm as it will render my new rear line to short to reach the caliper. Although this option is not entirely ruled out. We're entertaining a few different ideas and my friend is drawing up a new caliper mount in CAD. Depending on machining costs I may have a new mount piece made for me.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.