Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened in yesterday's race practice (CCS Summit Point). My entire body is sore (feel like a trampled rodeo clown) but nothing serious and no broken bones:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ugg! :-( Glad to hear you're ok, man.

That oscillation was pretty quick....no damper?

Rest up and hope you're feeling 100% soon.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Sorry to see, hope you didn't get rashed up too badly. I think I've posted before that you can't find the edge of the envelope without a few paper cuts. Good luck healing and repairing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn man, didn't you just lowside like 2 weeks ago?
Yeah about 3 weeks ago I had a 100 mph low side. This crash was near the same speed except it was much more painful (was launched a good 5-6 feet into the air). Bike is pretty beat up, fairings are toast, gas tank has a hole, rear set is cracked, master brake cylinder exploded. Frame, engine, and suspension is fine thanks to woodcraft sliders. This bike has a factory steering damper (which was revalved to increase damping force) and it was setup stiff, but not stiff enough apparently. I have the rear ride height setup higher than factory spec which has made the bike shake its head pretty violently coming out of some corners). Here is another video I took of my buddy (he crashed ahead of me in turn 5), you can see how bad the head shake is coming over the hill in turn 3:

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Don't mean to pour salt in the wound, but I can't help wondering. You ever thought perhaps Odin was trying to tell you something?

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Wow. Glad to see you are still able to type!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
This bike has a factory steering damper (which was revalved to increase damping force) and it was setup stiff, but not stiff enough apparently.
Its entirely possible it was too stiff and prevented the bike's geometry recovering itself although there are also a bunch of other setup factors as no doubt you are aware. Glad you're relatively ok.

·
B O R I C U A
1,216 Posts
WOW dude, hope you are feeling better by now!!!

My very first track crash was on that spot. Hope you fix the bike asap, and get back on the track.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Damn man, didn't you just lowside like 2 weeks ago?
It happens...

Maybe just change a mil here or there and see if it's just a hair calmer? Took me a while to really figure out my zx10r, and it still isn't quite where I want it

·
Registered
380 Posts
ouf turn 3 headed for 4 ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It happens...

Maybe just change a mil here or there and see if it's just a hair calmer? Took me a while to really figure out my zx10r, and it still isn't quite where I want it
Yeah...I shimmed the rear shock height about 6mm, come to find out, should have left it at stock height. It never used to shake its head like this, until AFTER I raised the rear. Pretty bad idea in retrospect ;) These new zx6rs like the stock shock height, front end can be raised 5-15mm safely (likes A LOT of trail to keep things stable). I thought that taking some trail away would help me transition faster (full lean to full lean) which it did, except it was at the expense of front end stability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts