Sport Bikes banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start with a brief background on me. 24, just bought a Katana 600 (1998) like 10 days ago...had no riding experience and just finished the MSF course this weekend. Leading up the course I rode my bike 3 times around a parking lot so that was my experience going into the class.

I took the class in Dallas,TX (if anyone local wants to know from who I can tell you as they did a great job)

The reason for this is so newbies might see it and take the class...you see it posted all the time from seasoned riders to take it, but I am not sure how many really do. THe class was great! I gained a huge understanding of all things related to motorcycling, what to do and what NOT to do, and how to ride in many situations. The classroom part was not boring like I expected and the range part was even better, although very hot here! I made a 98 on the written exam and lost NO points on the riding evaluation....not bad for someone who knew almost nothing going into it.

Moral is if you are new to riding, take the advice most give and take this MSF course...you might just learn a small detail that is the difference between a "close call" and a serious accident. In fact, many of the accidents that I have read about on this site and others could have been prevented if the rider made a better decision.

Thanks for your time
Jason

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
WTG on the MSF course... I'm waiting for my paycheque to come in to schedule. I think it was a great idea for you to post this--especially since a lot of newer riders would probably take more positively to the pressure of "I am doing it, you should too" (Read: Gixxer-style peer pressure) than a seasoned veteran telling them to do something. That whole disobey the b***** stronger person thing. *Shrug*

·
Registered
750 Posts
Definatly a beneficial course. I had a blast at mine and was all smiles all day, even in the pouring, cold, rain! I had never even sat on a bike before and those 250s felt fast as shit... obviously I had nothing to compare to :twofinger

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rode a Suzuki GZ 250 all weekend it I was surprised it was pretty fun and really easy to manuver...a little harder now that I am on the Katana but that is what practice is for

·
Registered
968 Posts
Congrats on both. Happy riding!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can't wait till my class happens (at Buell "Javalina" Dealership in Boerne, TX.. North of San Antonio). I was told the training is conducted on Buell Blasts (500cc). Can't wait till then so I can get my license and get my own bike.

BTW, can you tell me what you had to do after taking the class, in order to get a license? ... I have a Montana D.L. (for a car, since I'm in the military)) and I want to keep it (as TX and MT don't exchange records and as long as I pay my tickets-they don't make it on my insurance), so I wonder if I can get just a bike license from TX?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Filip75 said:
I can't wait till my class happens (at Buell "Javalina" Dealership in Boerne, TX.. North of San Antonio). I was told the training is conducted on Buell Blasts (500cc). Can't wait till then so I can get my license and get my own bike.

BTW, can you tell me what you had to do after taking the class, in order to get a license? ... I have a Montana D.L. (for a car, since I'm in the military)) and I want to keep it (as TX and MT don't exchange records and as long as I pay my tickets-they don't make it on my insurance), so I wonder if I can get just a bike license from TX?
don't know the answer, but the MSF class will let you forgo the riding portion of your motorcycle license...

i'm sure if you live/drive in tx after a certain amount of time your supposed to have a TX D.L.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
if you pass the MSF class, the DMV will waive the riding portion of the test.

jasfrmn, i live in frisco, hit me up if you need anyone to ride with or whatever i can do to help you along riding.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Filip75 said:

You will have to get at TX license I believe...I just went to the DPS this morning and took the written test...what a joke! What they do is replace your class C TX license with a new one that is class CM...meaning you still have a class c license and now have added the M for motorcycle...it was no big deal and good luck with your class.

The instructor of my class told me they had a few Ninja 500's but they dont use them anymore

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, i think his question whether you can have ONLY a "M" endorsement

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took the class in PA and there's no excuse for a new rider in this state not to take the class because it's free :) I hadn't been on a bike for about 10 years (esentially a complete noob) and I thought they did a great job of teaching the basics. From there, it's up to the rider to take what they learned and use it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't want to give up my MT license, it's my shield from insurance :a2

·
Registered
646 Posts
ITS FREE IN PA? ahhh...does it still qualify you for getting your license the same way it does in Jersey?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Flash6R said:
ITS FREE IN PA? ahhh...does it still qualify you for getting your license the same way it does in Jersey?
yep - if you pass the test at the end of the class, you have your license.

One thing my rider coaches did not mention which I think they should is that once you pass the class and buy a new bike, you should take it to a parking lot and go through as many of the exercises as you can with your new bike. I've found that the brakes on the SV are a wee bit(much) stronger than the ones on the 250 Nighthawk.

·
Registered
203 Posts
which one did you go to? I'm in carrollton right now and signed up for the course over at our high school's stadium.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The MSF has saved my ass more than once. I still flip through the booklet they gave me to brush up on certain things.

I don't see why everybody doesn't take it.. $90.. they GIVE you a fun bike to ride around in a parkinglot with, that you can crash with no expense out of your pocket. The information is VERY usefull. It saved me $170 on my insurance. During lunch they even let me and a friend ride around for an hour while everyone ate.. I was cranking my little dualsport up to 40mph comming out of the turn they set up. I even pulled a wheelie and didn't get yelled at. EVERYONE in my class passed, and 50% of them had never sat on a motorcycle before. One lady even dropped her bike the first time she took it off the kickstand, by the end of the weekend she was riding figure 8's like everyone else.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.