Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went and tested out a Street Triple R this morning since I was interested in seeing whether or not I made the right choice by going with my Daytona. Unfortunately, the STR was the only bike from Triumph's "urban sport" model selection that they would allow demos of. I was really hoping for a Speed Triple, the 09-10 version of the Daytona, a Sprint, and a Tiger demo (I will be doing the Tiger in the future, they just don't have a demo bike assembled yet).

Compared to a non-stock 2006 Daytona 675.

First impression from sitting on it. Much more comfortable riding position. The handlebars make you sit quite a bit more upright, and the pegs are about an inch lower than my Daytona. Seat was hard, but that was likely due to me being used to my gel seat. New Gauges looked pretty, but I think the old gauges are easier to read off when you just glance down. I love the matte orange color.

Riding impressions: Very quiet stock exhaust compared to my Daytona with the TOR exhaust on it. Low speed handling is excellent, good throttle response low in the RPM range, very clear and uncluttered view. The mirrors actually work well. I don't have to move my elbows every time I want to look behind me. The wide bars make it very easy to flick from side to side while riding down the road. The road we went on wasn't too twisty and we didn't go that fast so I didn't get much chance to lean it over and hang off. Left about 1/3" tread on the sides of the rear tire after it was all said and done. High speed turning wasn't as comfortable to me, however I am used to clipons rather than handlebars. We hopped on 81 for about a mile and a half at the end of the ride and the wind was very clean. It was smoother on the highway than my Daytona is. That is likely due to me needing a better windscreen, however. Suspension was softer than my Daytona, which I liked (my Daytona has upgraded springs in it for a 230lb rider and i'm all of 165).

Pros: Great low speed turning, great throttle response, comfortable for an every day bike but could still use a gel seat, very smooth in everything it did. Shifting was smooth like butter, throttle was smooth, everything just felt comfortable on it. Sweet matte orange paint job

Cons: Felt awkward to hang off on the freeway exit clover. By the end of the circle I had settled in, but I prefer clipons for high speed turns. Seat was fairly hard. Gauges aren't as easy to read as I would like and there is lots of little stuff going on. Stock exhaust is ugly (like every other bike out there), but the arrow pipes they had on display were very sexy. Felt almost too smooth sometimes. It's hard to describe, but I like that my bike jostles me around when I'm going fast. Makes it more fun to me

Bottom line: My Daytona rules in the twisties. The Street Triple R rules on the normal streets. If I could have some time with the Street Triple R to set it up the way I like it, then I think I could love the bike. Right now, my Daytona is set basically the way I want it, aside from needing new fork springs and maybe a touring screen. Was it better than my Daytona? I don't think either was better overall. Each had their strong points, and each was built for a different purpose. If you hit backroads more, go for the Daytona. If you commute and travel more, buy the Street Triple R. Had I bought a STR originally instead of my Daytona, I think I would be just as happy as I am now with my bike.

The salesmen that went riding with me actually took my Daytona out on the ride rather than a dealer bike. He races a FZR400 and really knows how to ride. Since the dealer didn't have any D675 demos, he wanted to ride mine so he could better explain the differences. I plan on talking to him more about track time once I do the trackday in a couple weeks.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
I absolutely love the Street Triple R. I have not ridden one yet, and have only sat on one, but I want one... bad.

Getting about time to trade my CBR in I thinks.

·
Resident Breast Inspector
3,285 Posts
The Triumph demo days by me had every bike from Triumph's lineup but I only took out a Speed Triple a Daytona,. The Daytona had a full Arrow exhaust.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I absolutely love the Street Triple R. I have not ridden one yet, and have only sat on one, but I want one... bad.

They are pretty amazing machines. For me, it just wasn't leaps and bounds better than my Daytona. Which makes sense since they're essentially the same, except for handlebars, lower footpegs, and an engine tuned for power lower in the RPM range. Besides, I wouldn't get much for my Daytona on trade in anyways with it having almost 29k miles now.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Triumph demo days by me had every bike from Triumph's lineup but I only took out a Speed Triple a Daytona,. The Daytona had a full Arrow exhaust.
There was supposed to be a full demo day tomorrow, but there was way too much interest. There would have been no way to handle that with the amount of bikes they have.

The salesmen said that they were planning on having a day later when the rides were longer and on better roads (including probably the one that's my favorite. Tuggles Gap). Unfortunately, I couldn't convince him to let me take the bike for the day so I could do a more thorough report.

·
trippin orange
50 Posts
Great review. The only thing I would argue with is your statement about the Street Triple ruling on the streets. It does...but only behind it's big brother. :)

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great review. The only thing I would argue with is your statement about the Street Triple ruling on the streets. It does...but only behind it's big brother. :)
They won't let me ride the Speed Triple. Bastards.

And the review was mainly just a comparison between the Street Triple R and the Daytona. Pretty amazing how just a couple changes can lead to very different bikes.

·
trippin orange
50 Posts
They won't let me ride the Speed Triple. Bastards.

And the review was mainly just a comparison between the Street Triple R and the Daytona. Pretty amazing how just a couple changes can lead to very different bikes.
I understand.

To my defense, I got to borrow a Daytona for a couple of days a few years back when I had to take Speedy in for some warranty crap (mushy brake syndrome). I got half a mile down the road and was trying to figure out why anyone would buy such a bike to ride on the street. It was so uncomfortable. I almost took it back to get the Tiger instead but figured I could live with it for a day or two. Very cool bike but totally not for me. I do too much city riding for something like that.

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts

i'm with you on this one.. just diff bike and i'd sell my bike as opposed to trading it in.. i either want the street trip R or the speed trip... loving the triumphs

thanks for the write up OP

·
Just chillin'
209 Posts
Ever since I sat on one at a dealer, I've been thinking that the Street Triple will be my next bike...in a year or so.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the record, if I was looking to buy a bike and had the option between the Street Triple and the Daytona, I'd probably take the Street Triple (provided I did not have my Daytona). I ride around town a lot (doing deliveries for Moes, actually), and go on weekend mountain carving blasts, go on longer trips, etc. The Street Triple R is a better street bike for my riding style. That being said, in no way shape or form do I have the kinds of funds needed to buy one, even with selling my Daytona. I've also modified my Daytona to the point where it fits me perfectly now. As I pointed out, maybe just some adjustable rearsets and a touring windscreen and it would be perfect. Helibars if I really wanted to spend some money.

I <3 Triumphs. That is all.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ever since I sat on one at a dealer, I've been thinking that the Street Triple will be my next bike...in a year or so.
Spend the extra money and get the R version. You'll be thankful later. The suspension on the regular Street Triple is mushy and hardly adjustable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts