Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was some of the greatest news I've heard this year when I got the phone call. I don't have all the details, but they brought it in from some drug dealer's house in Coconut Grove, Miami. I don't have pics of it yet, but the dude at the impound thinks it's in good shape. He's sending me pics today. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and I'm just curious to know what kind of hassle it is. I guess my real question is how much does it cost to replace the ignition, which was prolly ripped out when it was stolen. I'm assuming they don't have a key for it, so am I gonna need a whole new ignition or will someone make me a key? I wasn't sure they could/would do that. Anyway, I'll keep you updated as I find out more stuff. I'm talking to the officer today.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Glad to hear your getting your bike back. They should kill the bastard that stole it :mg Death to those that steal our girls :devil

·
Registered
140 Posts
Depends on how bad they wrenched it. I had to replace my switch and all my locks when someone tried to steal mine. If they stuck a screwdriver in your switch then its shot. If not, they can sometimes order you a key at the dealership. Just check everything out cuz when they attempted to steal mine they used a hammer and pry bar to brake the steering lock and twisted the forks in the triple clamps. After trying and trying to get it all straight I found that they had bent the upper triple clamp by prying on it and had to replace it. If you do have to replace those you can probably get them from ebay. Prices on those parts have actually been pretty low compared to when I had to buy mine. Glad to hear you got yours back, they couldn't get mine cuz the theives were retards and they blew the main fuse trying to hot wire it. Maybe you can get them to pay for the repairs, I didn't have full coverage(300 month here in Arkansas) and the cops weren't in the least bit worried about me getting it back on the road. Good Luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Glad to hear you getting your bike back.

Well right of the top, you going to have to pay to get it out of the impound yard. NJ is $150 for towing and $30 a day for storage.

You going to have to provide registation and DL. FL don't have insurance regulations so you probably wouldn't have to show that.

Did you have full coverage insurance, if so take it to the dealer and let them handle that.

They probably did rip out the ignition switch, so look at it as getting a new switch. They have them on eBay as buy it now items. You can also go to the dealer and order one. Either way you going to have to wait, because the dealer might not have them in stock. But, eBay will be the cheapest way.

It is easy to put in, you have to take of the upper fairing an trace the wires from the switch to the connectors. Its just a plug and play deal. But, on my belated Honda CBR I needed a special hex key to take off the ignition switch itself. So looking at buying that also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On the bolts for the ignition it is a hex key with a hole in the middle. I just used a regular star bit though and took a small punch and knocked the tab in the middle of the bolt flat so I could use the tools I already had. Worked fine and I didn't have to buy one of Honda's special tools.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Congratulations on the news. Hopefully it wasn't dropped or otherwise hurt more than the ignition. Anyway, if you have insurance, they should be paying for any of the costs incurred including the storage and repair costs, less of course a deductable if that's applicable on your policy.

How did they recover it? Do you have Lojack?

·
Registered
55 Posts
njdjh2o said:
Glad to hear you getting your bike back.

Well right of the top, you going to have to pay to get it out of the impound yard. NJ is $150 for towing and $30 a day for storage. QUOTE]

Why will he have to pay to get it out. He didnt do anything to get it put there. it was stolen so that should be something else stuck on the thief.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
its sounds like good news.. i can imagine how you feel.. bastard bike thieves

·
Registered
912 Posts
JonLD said:
Why will he have to pay to get it out. He didnt do anything to get it put there. it was stolen so that should be something else stuck on the thief.
Because the impound yard will not release a vehicle until the towing and impound fees have been paid in full. Standard procedure, even if your vehicle is stolen.

·
Registered
304 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
Because the impound yard will not release a vehicle until the towing and impound fees have been paid in full. Standard procedure, even if your vehicle is stolen.
He is correct, be there done that. When my car got stolen, I had to pay the towing and storage charges for my car. I was like WTF, why do I have to pay. First it is your vehicle and second they don't care how it got in here. You want it you pay for it.

Your insurance company is not going to pay for it. So, the thief is not going to pay for it. So who is left with the bag, the owner.

Plus if the owner leave it in there, it get auction off and the owner get a $100 fine (in NJ) for adandonment of a vehicle.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really didn't get any information about how the bike was located or how it got to this guy's place. I do know that drugs were involved, so maybe it was payment or maybe the drug dealer bought my bike from some thief. I just called the towing company and he said it's $12 a day storage until I send in the release (which I did today) then it's $25 a day. Hopefully, I can have him get this thing to Miami for Forward Air by Wednesday, thusly getting my bike ASAP and minmizing my charges. He's gonna send the pictures tomorrow morning; I'm very excited/nervous to see how it's looking. I'll post up some before and afters as soon as I get them. Hopefully the before's are not too much different then the afters! Oh, and I had zero insurance, so the fact that I've got another 3 years of payments on this thing, needless to say I'm very happy to be getting it back. Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
775 Posts
good to hear that they recovered it. I really, honesly, wouldn't have any problem with them publicly hanging bike thiefs.

Maybe you will get lucky and they will have added some mods. A nice Yosh pipe...maybe a power commander or some ohlins?

Good luck with it and keep us posted (pics too!)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Already had a Scotts, and a Two Bros pipe, and ALOT of other stuff I'd really love to still see on it. So, I guess we'll see what happens. Anyone know of the cheapest motor cycle shippers? Best I've got so far is God damn $573. Ouch.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Congrats on getting your bike back. Wish I would have gotten mine back. Oh well, I'm happy now with my '05, so its all good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
How far was the bike from you, Forward Air that means a good distance between you and where the bike was founded.

After you get the pictures and see it is ride worthy, can you save some money. Go an get it an ride it home.

You can rent a uHaul pickup truck and bring it home yourself. Way cheaper the Forward Air would charge.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the bike was found in Coconut Grove, Miami, which is about 5 miles from where it was stolen from my apartment in South Miami. I actually drove up and down the suspect street (Grand Ave) many times looking for it. Anyway, I'm living back in NY now, so Forward Air was the most economical. However, they can't get a crate for 14 days. I can't get down there to take care of the bike to build a crate, drain all the fluids, etc etc. So, I'm gonna have JC Motors pick the bike up at the end of the week and send it back up this way to the tune of $573. Forward Air was $428, plus I'd have to pay to get the bike to the airport (maybe $100 anyway). I've been saving all summer to buy SOME kind of bike (was looking at a SV650) so now I've got a nice chunk of change to spend on my bike to get it back home and back on the road. Can't wait...

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Glad to hear that you're getting your bike back StreetSpeed2000. Hopefully it's in good condition when you finally get it back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts