Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know motorcycle speedometers are off a bit, but on my 04 gsxr 600 I noticed when going down the interstate where everyone drives pretty conservatively, usually around 75 or so. Well, I'll be cruising along doing 75-78 and I'm getting passed like I'm doing 65. I even have semi's pass me sometimes, wtf is going on? Is the speedo off that much at higher speeds or should I look into it further?

Gracias. :)

btw- Where can you have another key for your bike made, and does anyone know the price?

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Your speedo isn't off by say 3 mph at every speed. I think most speedos are off by 10 percent. So if you're going 30, your speedo is off by 3mph. If you're going 60, your speedo is off by 6 mph. Make sense?

·
Registered
321 Posts
You can buy a speedo healer that corrects the factory error on the speedos.

You could go to a hardware store to get a copy of your key made, if that doesn't work then call a locksmith, don't know how much it will cost.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
v4barnes said:
You can buy a speedo healer that corrects the factory error on the speedos.

You could go to a hardware store to get a copy of your key made, if that doesn't work then call a locksmith, don't know how much it will cost.
So I'm guessing bike speedo's are off worse than automobiles, right? Because when I'm in my car and doing 75-78 I seem to be passing cars not getting passed.

As far as the key, I thought about a hardware store but I wasn't sure if the bike has some type of chip in it or something (may sound silly).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, you can always get a speedohealer to correct it. It was some of the best money I spent, but my speedo was pretty far off since I had the factory error as well as the addition of the lower gearing.

And yes, you can get keys made at hardware stores such as Lowes and Home Depot. I got a couple sets made at a locksmith, and I think it was only a couple bucks a piece.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
murfnamedsmurf said:
Yeah, you can always get a speedohealer to correct it. It was some of the best money I spent, but my speedo was pretty far off since I had the factory error as well as the addition of the lower gearing.

And yes, you can get keys made at hardware stores such as Lowes and Home Depot. I got a couple sets made at a locksmith, and I think it was only a couple bucks a piece.
Thanks a lot man.

How much is a speedohealer and where can you buy one?

Thanks again gang.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
some motorcycle speedos are off by as much as 6-8 mph at 70 mph..

·
Registered
218 Posts
As for the key, i went to Home Depot and they couldn't do it because my key was to small, i would just go to a lock smith or call ahead to home depot. It cost me i think 4 and change for 2 keys, not to shabby.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah I went to home depot to get a key made, and they said they couldnt do it...guy who was helpin me had a shadow and said he checked lowes and they couldnt do it either...but that just might be in my town...the delearship did it no prob though...i think it was like 4-5 per key.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have a GPS on mine, which shows current speed. At about 40 it is 3 mph slow, at 65 it is exactly 5 mph slow. So mine does get worse the higher the speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts