Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I'll spare you the details. Anyway, I got a smoking deal on a used 2004 Triumph Speed 4 - only 1200 miles on the clock. :banana

The shipping company finally delivered it. Here she is:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats! Looks like it's in good shape.
It is in good shape, I mean it only had 1291 miles on it. :banana

Last night I did a few modifications to the Speed 4. I added the seat cowl I purchased and I also removed the factory exhaust and added an Ixil Short exhaust so soft luggage won’t touch the pipe. I had a few issues but got those resolved.

My buddy stopped by and since I now have insurance on my bike I decided to really stretch out its legs. All I can say is Triumph made a gem of an I4. The engine wants to just go!!!!!!!!!! It likes being reved and the front wheel wants to come off the ground. I felt it pop up slightly a few times but once I got use to throttle input, that was resolved.

The bike is very flickable but I didn’t want to play too long seeing how the Kentucky plate is on the bike (and I’m a little rusty from not riding in close to a year).

I’m going to get the registration taken care of Friday. My mirrors are scheduled to arrive Monday so I’ll be able to get the bike inspected next week. There are still a few things I need to do yet:

- Install my front fender extender
- I’m going to replace the rear signals with a set of 675 signals I purchased and originally intended to add to my 955i
- I have a rear hugger to add but I’m going to have the dealer do it when I take it in for the inspection.

Oh, another thing I did notice is wind protection. It’s not bad but it’s nothing like the 955. I cannot wait to put some miles on it but I know with the new addition my riding time will be limited this summer – this is why I’m looking forward to the trip to the IndyGP in September.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
What is this wind protection that you speak of? :neener

No kidding. My bug screen only keeps the wind from jacking me in the chest. It's alright though, after a while you get used to it. I get a sore neck on my first ride every season, but then I commute 400+ miles a week on it and afterwards it's all good.

Grats on the new toy....black is faster though:twofinger

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to get the bike registered Saturday morning and the battery was dead. :angry It seemed odd because I just took the bike out a few days prior. Oh well, it is the orignal battery on the bike and the bike only has 1200 miles on it. I'm picking up a new battery today.

Also, my mirrors arrive today so I can get the bike inspected. :banana In the meantime, I've added a cowl and Ixil exhaust. (sorry for the bad pics, it was raining that day)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love my mine , my wind screen helps alot, see pic
Enjoy a grat machine:cheers
Hey, what fender eliminator is that? I'm thinking about one but not sure if I want to go to that extreem just yet. I might just dremel mine down.

Also, how much do you like the screen? I read some initial reviews that said the screen bounces/flaps when at speeds of 75+.

I know I'm going to add the LSL bars at some point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
S-4

i don't know about the fender kit , it was done when I bought it. I can send you a closer pic if you want.

I have not noticed any of that wind screen buffer I read about. I do some freeway miles at 75 + ;) , seems to work just fine, it is the Luminar screen
Great looking bike you have, enjoy.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Very nice bike. For those of us not really familier with Triumph, some details on these bikes please?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice bike. For those of us not really familier with Triumph, some details on these bikes please?
Here is some quick, down and dirty info. It was the last I4 motorcycle Triumph made and was discontinued in 2006.

Introduced in 2002, the Triumph Speed Four is the naked (non-faired) brother of the TT600 sportbike introduced in 1999. While the TT600 was prone to fuel injection problems, these were fixed for the 2002 Speed Four. While aesthetically similar to the larger Speed Triple, the Speed Four has an entirely different frame and engine. Power comes from a 599 cc inline-four cylinder engine, the same engine in the TT600 but tuned for better midrange, it produces 98 hp @11750 rpm, with a 13,500 rpm redline, and a respectable 50.2 ft·lbf (68.1 N·m) of torque at 9750 rpm. With a dry weight of only 375 lb (170kg), the Speed Four is a phenomenal street machine that is also capable of handling track duty. The bike has a top speed of 135mph and a 0-60 time of about 3.5 seconds.

The Speed Four in fact is mechanically very nearly identical to its predecessor, the TT600, with the exceptions of the cam profiles, ignition and fuel injection mapping, front spring rate, and other minor concessions to its streeetfighter style; the frame and fully adjustable suspension are race-ready. With the addition of a race exahust and ignition mapping, the bike's performance is comparable to any 600cc four of the period. The Speed Four's only aesthetic relationship to the Speed Triple is the bug-eyed headlight pair and bikini fairing; the Speed Four even retains the clip-ons of the TT600, versus the motocross inspired handlebars of the Speed Triple and other streetfighters like the Tuono, FZ-1, Monster, etc.

The handling of the bike is generally superb and eminently adjustable. The engine makes broad, smooth power from 5000 rpm all the way to redline at 13,500 rpm, with serious boost and growl kicking in at 8000 rpm. Above 8000 rpm the Speed Four, like many 600s of its class, makes power that is very difficult to apply on the street; 10,000 rpm in third gear will see the operator exceeding any speed limit in the United States. This is, therefore, a highly capable, high-performance machine, very capable for track use. At street speeds the Speed Four cruises effortlessly between 5,000-8,000 rpm. The gearbox is geared tall, but there are no gaps between gears due to the engine's strong, broad output. Wind protection is surprisingly quite good; although the bikini fairing appears small, it is nonetheless adequate, and the girth of the inline four itself provides ample protection for the legs, despite the absence of a lower fairing.

Speed Fours are notorious for a poorly designed crankcase breather seal, which causes small amounts of oil to blow back into the airbox. Eventually the oil drips from the airbox onto the lower end and from there to the ground. While the amount of oil lost is negligible and does not affect performance, the drip is unsightly and leads to many comments about Triumphs leaking oil—an infamous trait of the vertically-split cases of 1960s vintage Triumph parallel twins, such as the original Bonneville. Such a drip is also unacceptable for bikes to be used on the racetrack, and there is a chance that oil might contaminate the rear tyre leading to loss of traction.

The Speed Four was voted No.1 for handling and suspension in Ride magazines Rider Power Surevy, Triumphs Daytona 675 was 2nd in the same category.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Thanks for the info. Intresting looking bike with those intake tubes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seat Cowl?

It is in good shape, I mean it only had 1291 miles on it. :banana

Last night I did a few modifications to the Speed 4. I added the seat cowl I purchased and I also removed the factory exhaust and added an Ixil Short exhaust so soft luggage won’t touch the pipe. I had a few issues but got those resolved.

!!!!Where did you get the seat cowl and exhaust from. I cannot find a seat cowl anywhere.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
!!!!Where did you get the seat cowl and exhaust from. I cannot find a seat cowl anywhere.
Look for old TT600 parts. The tails are the same and I think that wind screen is the skyking one.

The Speed Four is the bike that got me into Triumphs. I was with a buddy at a dealer that had one, I found my current Speed Triple on a bullitin board outside the bank going to get financing for the Speed Four. lol

Best $4500 I ever spent was that Speed Triple!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a riding bud who currently has an '08 S3 who had a Speed Four five or six years ago, and he would wring that things neck keeping pace with us on the S3's. He is a good rider, and made that thing work. A cool bike, but lacking in the low/mid range.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I have a riding bud who currently has an '08 S3 who had a Speed Four five or six years ago, and he would wring that things neck keeping pace with us on the S3's. He is a good rider, and made that thing work. A cool bike, but lacking in the low/mid range.
I'd have to flail my Daytona to keep up with the Speedie on a really tight road. The 675 just doesn't have the torque my Speedie lays down, at 4000-9000 on the speedie I'd have to run +9k on the Daytona.

I can't wait to get going rebuilding the old Triple.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts