Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So figured its about time i showed off my baby.

Got it begining of last season, had around 9500mi on it.

1996 Suzuki RF900R.
Started as the yellow/purple paint with a vance and hines can.

So i rode for a while, then decided that it needed a new paint job. Me and my buddy started sanding, and i used a fiberglass repair kit to fix a hole in the lower left fairing. My buddy is an industrial painter so he sprayed the bike at his work. Some kind of flat black paint, has help up great he said it was super expensive stuff that was just left over.

So the mods so far:
Jet kit
K&N filter
Vance&Hines slip on(going to make it a shorty soon)
+4 ignition advancer
HID headlight
Cut down under tail
Chrome license plate relocator
Brushed aluminum chain guard

And now for the pics!

Attachments

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Eh. Flat black never did anything for me. Good luck with the bike. I hope she serves you well.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying your bike. I didn't know much about them prior to your post, and it looks like it is/was a pretty cool, somewhat underrated bike.

The Flat-black makes it look like any other crashed POS, though.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
I never understood where the RF's fit in. they overlapped with the GSX-R's and Katanas, was there really a big enough market in the mid 90's for suzuki to offer three levels of sportbikes? or is the rarity and fact that they only made the RF line for 2-3 years a sign that it was a failure?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I never understood where the RF's fit in. they overlapped with the GSX-R's and Katanas, was there really a big enough market in the mid 90's for suzuki to offer three levels of sportbikes? or is the rarity and fact that they only made the RF line for 2-3 years a sign that it was a failure?
I thought the RFs were the same as the Katanas, just a different name in different years.

PhilB

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I thought the RFs were the same as the Katanas, just a different name in different years.

PhilB
Nope, a 96 Katana still had a steel cradle frame.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
RF's had steel perimeter frame and a radiator!

I think it was Rad Greaves who raced an SRAD-style GSX-R750 with an RF900 motor (except the head) in FUSA.

Edit-Boy, not much 90's FUSA info online. It may have been Chuck Graves who built the GSXR/RF...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. The paint is actually a semi gloss flat black, and i think it actually came out really good to be honest, for a free paint job. And the old paint job, yes i agree was rare and would have been good to keep if it had been in good shape. But it was all scratched and just looked like shit.

I love this bike, wicked fast, smokes any 600 class newer bike that's for sure. haha and she lifts up pretty easy.

And its comfy as hell! Most of my riding is 2 up so once i throw a corbin seat on it will be great. I can already ride all day the way it is, but the butt goes numb after a while. So the corbin seat should really help with that.

oh also forgot to say i have dunlop qualifier q2s on her, and they are stickkyyyyyy! love those tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Paid $1400 for the bike, painted it for just my time with super expensive paint that will last forever, looks 100x better then it did before, and i get comments and get asked about it all the time. But i will say the pics don't do it justice.

And i don't go around bashing your bike, was just trying to show off what i have, and don,t care for the negativity, so please keep it To yourself, thanks.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal, and did the right thing. I admit that my first thought had been that it was a shame to cover up the original paint, but from your description I don't disagree with what you did. From the pics, we can't see how messed-up that paintjob was or what it would have taken to make it look nice. Now go for a ride (if the weather where you are permits) and don't let the nattering nabobs of negativity get you down.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 24 Posts