Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I made this over the last 2 days. It's a $40 setup if you already have all the tools you need. I wired it up so that it comes on with the key. I made the monitor bracket out of a piece of sheet metal and used one of the stock bolts by the gauges to hold it. A piece of foam supports it on the other side against one of the headlight dust covers.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I opened the monitor and waterproofed everything with silicone aquarium sealant. This worked great on my garmin and it was mounted totally flat on the handlebars where water would pool on the screen.

The camera is flushmounted into the tucked license plate bracket. I used a hole saw "10mm maybe?" and used the included bracket plus glue and liquid nails to hold it in there. I haven't been able to test it on the road yet because we had a little snow storm today and everything is wet and nasty and cold.





I have one minor issue maybe you guys can assist with. I wired this into the ignition wire so that it comes on with the key, but when the revs go up there is a little static on the screen. I think this is because of increased voltage but I'm not sure. Is there something I can add in-line to stabilize everything at 12v?
My old garmin that I mounted on the headstock of the F4i had the same issue but it never damaged anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
Cool setup, but I can't stop wondering, what's the point? I usually just check my mirrors, or turn my head. And it's not like you'll be backing up a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool setup, but I can't stop wondering, what's the point? I usually just check my mirrors, or turn my head. And it's not like you'll be backing up a lot.
I wanted to take my mirrors off. They look dumb on the 2004-2006 R1. It's so much sleeker without them and easier to lane split. I have a REEVU helmet which takes care of 90% of my mirror needs and I'm hoping this screen will take care of the other 10%.

Can you see directly behind you and with 180° vision in a single glance? I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
I wanted to take my mirrors off. They look dumb on the 2004-2006 R1. It's so much sleeker without them and easier to lane split. I have a REEVU helmet which takes care of 90% of my mirror needs and I'm hoping this screen will take care of the other 10%.

Can you see directly behind you and with 180° vision in a single glance? I can.
Ah, well check your local laws, I know in many places is illegal to run without at least one mirror. If they do those lame motorcycle checkpoints near you they might jam you up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OldSchlPunk

·
You are here
Joined
·
3,535 Posts
I could see wanting a full time camera setup to protect agains abuse by LEOs. But replacing simple mirrors with complex technology seems a bad idea at best. Technology can and does break, mirrors not so much.

If you really need to loose your mirrors to lane split you aren't doing it properly. Slow down, you'll live longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I could see wanting a full time camera setup to protect agains abuse by LEOs. But replacing simple mirrors with complex technology seems a bad idea at best. Technology can and does break, mirrors not so much.

If you really need to loose your mirrors to lane split you aren't doing it properly. Slow down, you'll live longer.
If you would have read above you would have seen that I have a REEVU helmet that I use for 90% of my mirror needs. The other 10% are when it fogs up or when I want to see details "license plate, hot girl behind me at a stoplight etc". My issue with lanesplitting is the mirrors being the same exact height as car mirrors. I don't split moving traffic or anything but I do often use a liberal definition of 'right hand turning lane'.


I LOVE my REEVU but on rare occasions the internal mirrors get really foggy and those take a while to clear up again.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, well check your local laws, I know in many places is illegal to run without at least one mirror. If they do those lame motorcycle checkpoints near you they might jam you up.
I think any reasonable cop would let me go when he saw that I had a mirror in my helmet "REEVU" AND a rearview camera. If not the judge would probably throw it out. The cops around here really don't mess with you much unless you're causing trouble, but then they will throw every single law at you and see what sticks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
I think any reasonable cop would let me go when he saw that I had a mirror in my helmet "REEVU" AND a rearview camera. If not the judge would probably throw it out. The cops around here really don't mess with you much unless you're causing trouble, but then they will throw every single law at you and see what sticks.
If the DMV law for the state says that a mirror has to be physically present and attached to a motor vehicle, that is it. Your helmet will add on, but it wouldn't suffice for your motor vehicle.

And a judge won't throw it out, because they can simply ask "what keeps you from just wearing a different helmet for some random reason?" (Like for example, someone runs off with your helmet, or your helmet is damaged).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the DMV law for the state says that a mirror has to be physically present and attached to a motor vehicle, that is it. Your helmet will add on, but it wouldn't suffice for your motor vehicle.

And a judge won't throw it out, because they can simply ask "what keeps you from just wearing a different helmet for some random reason?" (Like for example, someone runs off with your helmet, or your helmet is damaged).
Well if I do get stopped it's a fix-it-ticket and doesn't cost anything, but the police around here don't care as long as you're not causing trouble. It's illegal to carry icecream in your pocket in Kentucky. Go try it, I doubt the police will waste their time on you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
The mirror in the helmet wasn't meant to replace the mirrors on your bike. It is there to add on to your rear visibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Theadamie

I admire your setup, it's clean and well done. I won't criticize your mirror removal - if between the helmet and camera you can truly see as much or more behind you or to the side as you can with the stock mirrors then I'm good with it. I never believed in regulating the equipment, they should only regulate minimum levels of performance. Like the fact for so long in this country they've regulated the type of headlight and not at all whether it had to be worth a damn to actually see at night. I do agree with the one comment regarding failure though, you are kinda screwed if it fails and you don't have mirrors. Then again, I can't see a damned thing directly behind me with the stock mirrors so I'm not sure it matters. And as one who elected not to run a front license plate on my car because it flat looked better (stopped twice for it, no tickets or warnings because I had it in the car), I know where you are coming from on the looks thing. I will ask though - how and why are you lane splitting in Kentucky? It isn't legal anywhere in the U.S except California. That's more an issue with me because all it serves to do do is piss off car drivers toward all motorcyclists. Yes, I believe it should be legal ... but why make a bad name for all of us?
 

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
Joined
·
1,491 Posts
Nice clean setup. Could the static be vibrational related? How secure are your connections and what did you use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Theadamie

I admire your setup, it's clean and well done. I won't criticize your mirror removal - if between the helmet and camera you can truly see as much or more behind you or to the side as you can with the stock mirrors then I'm good with it. I never believed in regulating the equipment, they should only regulate minimum levels of performance. Like the fact for so long in this country they've regulated the type of headlight and not at all whether it had to be worth a damn to actually see at night. I do agree with the one comment regarding failure though, you are kinda screwed if it fails and you don't have mirrors. Then again, I can't see a damned thing directly behind me with the stock mirrors so I'm not sure it matters. And as one who elected not to run a front license plate on my car because it flat looked better (stopped twice for it, no tickets or warnings because I had it in the car), I know where you are coming from on the looks thing. I will ask though - how and why are you lane splitting in Kentucky? It isn't legal anywhere in the U.S except California. That's more an issue with me because all it serves to do do is piss off car drivers toward all motorcyclists. Yes, I believe it should be legal ... but why make a bad name for all of us?
When I lane split it's usually just squeezing on the right side of traffic to make a right hand turn when the car in front is wanting to go straight. So it's just a very liberal definition of turning lane lol. On RARE occasions if traffic is really backed up and I'm roasting to death I'll drive between the lanes of stopped cars and go up to the light. I've only done the latter a few times and never had anyone get mad about it. ONCE the light turned green and both cars in both lanes just sat there and wouldn't go. I don't know if it was a prank "very dumb one" or what but I just split between the lanes and went on through.

If the monitor fails I still have a mirror in my helmet that works great 90% of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I talked to a police officer tonight. There's one at my gym and I told him about my set up. He said as long as I can see what's behind me he can't imagine me ever getting a ticket for it. He's seen my helmet before and he said if he pulled me over that would satisfy the mirror need for him. He's actually a marshall and doesn't mess with traffic stuff anymore but he still works with all the local cops.
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Top