Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres some before and after pics of my rattlecan paint job. I'm really pleased with the results, and although I couldn't get out 100% of the orangepeel look, I came damn close. But for a total of about 100 bucks, I'm really happy and it was great experience.

Before:

After:

This was all done with Duplicolor Truck, Van and SUV primer, paint and clear from meijer. I bought a rashed lower fairing and added that as well as a lower front sprocket, homemade slip-ons, polished lips of the rims, and flushmount signals. I highly reccommend for anyone thinking about trying it to dive right in. Reading articles on this and other forums got me started in the right direction. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
looks about 100 times better....good work.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Good job man...How did you get the clear coat to cure???
I did my tank and if gas gets on it, it gets tacky.

·
Registered
489 Posts
kazlab67 said:
Good job man...How did you get the clear coat to cure???
I did my tank and if gas gets on it, it gets tacky.
Technically, you need to use a special clearcoat (urethane, me thinks?) that is resistant to gas for the tank.

That looks incredible considering how much you spent, and honestly it looks great anyway! I'm thinking very seriously about repainting my bike. I love the silver and orange, but I'm getting sick of the polished frame, so I'm thinking of just changing everything. Maybe black and white or possibly even a shade of gold.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looks great! What brand of spray paint?

Not looking to do this myself, just want to know how you got that kind of gloss out of a rattle can!

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
It looks real good dude, but if it's all rattlecan, won't the clear never cure quite right? And if you ever get gas on it, it's going to be no good. I guess you could bring a rag with you everytime you get gas and cover the tank...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks damn good bro! Definite improvement over stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, you all are right about the problems with the clearcoat and gas. I was a little nervous, but I've already filled up and really I just get a couple rags and take it easy when inserting & taking out the nozzle and all is good.

Paint is Duplicolor primer, base and clear, all available at Meijer for about 4 bucks a can. This particular color is called torch red I believe, I just like the shade of it.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I'm amazed what ppl can do with spray paint.. Not to shabby man!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
nice job, the bike looks good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts