Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to put off getting a track bike and save up for the California Superbike School. Suddenly I have an 01 SV650S in my garage. Man, best laid plans and all that. Still, I love to tinker and getting it ready for next years track season will be a fun winter project.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
I would highly suggest looking for a good deal on a 2nd set of wheels over the off-season, in fact now (late in the season) is when alot of deals become available. If you do get a 2nd set of wheels it's nice if you can get the sprocket carrier and brake rotor for the rear wheel and the brake rotors on the front wheel, also ask if your getting the wheel bearings and any spacers for the wheels as well. If you're getting the rotors with the wheels try and find out what thickness they are ahead of time and see how close to the wear limit the rotors are, if their heavily worn you shouldn't be paying much extra for them in a package deal (rotors that are on the thin side will heat up your brakes faster and cause less braking ability and possibly boil your brake fluid much quicker).

Also, if the bike you bought doesn't have anti-freeze in it make sure and drain the cooling system before it gets cold! :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Mike. I've already put some feelers out on SVrider.com for parts and I've already got a line on some inexpensinve NIB Woodcraft rearsets. There's a complete rear wheel on there but I think I'm going to hold out for a set. Good advice on the spacers and bearings. I wouldn't have thought of that.

The bike was a street bike with an Emgo filter and a Yosh slip-on and was just tuned by Cafe Racers here in KC. I plan on keeping it CCS Supersport legal so I don't go crazy on modifications. Just need to get the suspension setup for my weight. It has a set of Pilot Powers on it right now that look like they're in good shape with most of the edge rubber remaining. They should last me a little while at least.

The bars are real light compared to the 1125R but once leaned over it turns WAY slower. What with the normal geometry and all. By the CCS SS rules it looks like I can change the rear shock as well. I'll probably do that and raise the rear a little.

I wonder about WERA. They seem pickier. For instance, it doesn't look like they allow cartridge emulators. That saves me a bit of $ on the forks. ;) But, I don't know what if any WERA LW Superstock events might take place at HPT, and I probably won't try competing until 2010. But we'll see.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
SV650 FTW!!!!!!!!

1st gen! Even better!

Hey, later this winter. I'm gonna take apart my one of my SV650s and sell it piece by piece. If you need anything... Like wheels, or rear-sets. Just let me know. You'll be first one the list. Plus I live about 15 minutes from Cafe Racer, and I'm there all the time. So I could drop the stuff off there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cool, thanks for the offer. Here's my current wishlist in order of "urgency"

Chain [edit: nix the new chain. I just cleaned the one that was on it. Everything I thought was rust was just dirt and now it works fine.]
clutch cable
.90kg/mm fork springs
motosliders, frame and swingarm
braided front lines and race pads
brake pedel
stock seats (has Sargents on it now, comfy for the long hall, but not hanging off)
bellypan

Want to haves:
2nd set of rims with disks, sprocket, bearings, and spacers
race bodywork

I'm going to take off and sell or trade the Sargent seats and the integrated LED tail light. I found a set of Woodcraft rearsets on SVRider that I'm picking up and a 636 rear shock to upgrade in back.

Compared to the Buell the handle bars are really light for steering input but it takes forever to get through a corner. The longer trail and wheelbase really show themselves. I'll be raising the rear and lowering the front to try to get the geometry closer to what I'm used to. Just have to make sure it doesn't get unstable at speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts