Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a good buddy of mine hooked me up with a computer for free a couple weeks ago. I think now I have everything set up the way I like it finally. I had the system and components set up on an old wobbly kitchen table that I had brought up from the basement. That thing wasn't working for me, so after a lot of looking around, I picked up a new computer desk today. :banana

The computer itself is some kind of older Dell. My buddy has a fiber optics company and probably had this computer at work somewhere. He has a bit of a hobby tinkering with computers and upgrading them. From what he told me about the computer and what I can find out myslef, it's got 750MB RAM (?). It has a DVD drive and burner (which I've never had before), 250Gig hard drive, upgraded sound and video cards (???). Just seems like a decent home computer for what I'll be doing with it. I can't complain about anything for the price.

I figured since I got the compuer, keyboard, and mouse for free, I could splurge a little on the monitor. I researched for a while, then went to Circuit City and picked up a Westinghouse 22" widescreen.:banana Also picked up a 3 piced set of Logitech speakers from Office Max. A lot of people gave me some good advice to go with some better and more expensive speakers, but from what I've heard out of these so far, I'm really pretty happy with them, even for watching DVDs.

Like I said, I had everything all put together a couple weeks ago, but I didn't get the desk til today. Went back to Office Max for that. They had a nice desk that I liked, and was actually on clearance, but it was a taller desk and when I shook it a little, it felt pretty wobbly. This glas top desk I got is very solid. This thing will hardly move. I wasn't sure if I'd like the glasstop because everyone being able to see all the wires, but I figured nobody ever really sees my computer room anyway, so what the hell.

Anyway, just thought I'd share where I will be spending all the countless hours at on Sportbikes.net and on the web in general. :banana

Plus I just wanted to take a couple pictures of everything before the desk get's all cluttered up. :lao

Attachments

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Sweet bro :cheers Looks good!!!

·
Calm like a bomb!
7,944 Posts
That's a badass set up dude!

For free!?!

I hate you!

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iceman_954rr said:
That's a badass set up dude!

For free!?!

I hate you!
Yeah, computer, keyboard, and mouse were free from my buddy. I actually used a gift card that I got from work to buy the monitor, digital video cable, and wireless router I needed, so I guess that was all free too. So far I've bought the speakers, desk, and the surge prtector.

:neener

:eek:nfloor Sorry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Justin726 said:
From what he told me about the computer and what I can find out myslef, it's got 750MB RAM (?). It has a DVD drive and burner (which I've never had before), 250Gig hard drive, upgraded sound and video cards (???).
You could try: Start, Run, msinfo32

Edit: Forgot to mention, looks nice. :)

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mikem317 said:
Looks good, but I'd get that sub down on the ground.
You know, I thought that's were it usually goes, but I have never figured out why. Can someone fill me in as to the reason the sub is usually on the floor. Is it because of the vibrations?

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
a sub is supposed to fill in the area where the sound is weakest. every room has a dead zone and you put your sub there. as for why you want it on the floor, well glass + vibration/loud noise = new computer desk.

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
Cool Justin! I guess you'll have time to catch up with Will in posts now! :D

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
Nice setup man.. Can't you utilize the rest of the screen with a wider res??

Noice man.

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
the frequencies that come from a sub are low enough that they tend to bounce off most materials without losing much amplitude....ie, the room doesn't absorb the sound like high frequencies...

think of when the ricers go down the street....all you can hear is the bass....sometimes you can feel it.

doesn't really matter where the sub is, but lower tends to be better so your not vibrating your eardrum so hard.

·
Yes I'm a FIB
2,139 Posts
Sweet set-up Justin, congrats!

·
TeamFelony.com
1,632 Posts
Justin726 said:
I had the system and components set up on an old wobbly kitchen table that I had brought up from the basement. That thing wasn't working for me
Justin726 said:
They had a nice desk that I liked, and was actually on clearance, but it was a taller desk and when I shook it a little, it felt pretty wobbly. This glas top desk I got is very solid. This thing will hardly move.
So,,,,,, What are you gonna be doin' on that computer that you need such a sturdy, non-wobbly computer desk???????

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
May I suggest Ohlins Forks for the legs of the table?

And a steering damper might help the wobblyness.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Justin, you ever need to find out more info about any 32 bit comp just unzip this file and click the little computer inside it inb a second you will know every frikken thing about it.... Just choose the section you want info overload on LMAO :lol

It will also point out any potential problems. Excellent program I've used for a long time.

http://z15.zupload.com/download.php?file=getfile&filepath=37828

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
The Logitech Z-230 bass speaker should be placed on the floor, with at least 1.5 feet between the back of it and the wall.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Ivan_markII said:
The Logitech Z-230 bass speaker should be placed on the floor, with at least 1.5 feet between the back of it and the wall.

That will help strengthen its response. The reason is low frequencies are non directional and will use the wall to reflect off of and strengthen the output of the sound. Low frequency doesn't need to point your way to be heard.

Higher frequency's are very directional and need to be pointed in the direction you want them to go.

My subs (4 15 inch JBL Pros) are built in to the stand that supports my 37 inch hi def TV pointing at the wall and they tend to rip the wallboard off the studs on the opposite side of the room :lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts