Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I could have swapped the swing arm, but honestly I hate modern swing arms on old bikes. They look out of place. Same goes for big fat tires. This bike makes like 60hp at the most, all a big rear tire would do is make it handle worse. I may still build a custom swing arm just because this one is kinda plain and ugly, but for now my goal is to get riding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I could have swapped the swing arm, but honestly I hate modern swing arms on old bikes. They look out of place. Same goes for big fat tires. This bike makes like 60hp at the most, all a big rear tire would do is make it handle worse. I may still build a custom swing arm just because this one is kinda plain and ugly, but for now my goal is to get riding.
Good points and well thought out, what ever you decide i am sure by the work skills on show it will look stunning.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Back on the little details. Got a nice simple license plate and tail light mount made up. The light has built in signals and is much brighter than it's size would indicate. I'd love to be able to run nothing at all...but obviously that's not an option on a street bike.

Attachments

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Also made up some little brackets for the front brake reservoir as well as the speedo sensor. The fork I'm using is off an ABS equipped bike, and the stock sensor hole gave me a perfect mounting location for the new magnetic pickup.

Attachments

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
One of the reasons for the full length seat on this bike is that I wanted to be able to carry a passenger. Only problem is how to mount the pegs without building some big ugly abortion of a bracket to hold them. Instead I decided to mount the passenger pegs to the swingarm. When I started looking at it however I realized the metal was super thin, and I was a little nervous about damaging the arm simply from someone standing on the pegs so I cut out some reinforcement plates to spread the load a little.

I know someone is gonna say this is crazy talk, but there are a number of bikes that actually came this way from the factory, and since I dont plan on having a passenger a lot I'm pretty sure it'll work alright.

Attachments

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I think the main thing will be to instruct any passengers to keep weight on the seat and not the feet. If the passenger stands up, suddenly she will be entirely unsprung weight, and that will affect the handling adversely.

PhilB

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think the main thing will be to instruct any passengers to keep weight on the seat and not the feet. If the passenger stands up, suddenly she will be entirely unsprung weight, and that will affect the handling adversely.

PhilB

Good point, could not a pothole break someones ankle?

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I would think not. There are a ton of harleys that dont even have rear suspension at all. Though uncomfortable IMO, I dont hear about any of those riders or their passengers being injured by potholes.

I cant say that I've ever had a passenger try to stand up while riding, but yes I see how that could change the handling a bit.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Been working on details the last couple nights. One detail I kept forgetting about was the brake caliper. It just barely rubbed on the outside edge of the rotor when you fully tightened the bolts. There are a couple little sleeves that fit into bores in both the caliper and the mount to align everything so I just turned out some new ones with a flange in the middle to space the caliper out a touch. I had also forgotten that I wanted to put longer bolts in the rotor because of the spacer. I had bolts of the proper size from one of the Ninja wheels I used for another project, but the heads were too large to fit into the recesses on the rotor so I turned those down as well.

Since the temperature here has finally started to drop at night, and it was a little chilly in the shop last night I decided to warm it up by spending some time doing the finish welding on the seat pan. I wasn't cold anymore after running those beads.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
unheated shop?
seriously?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I guess . . . I forget at times that the entire world is not an ice cube for half the year.
still, for all the toys you have, I kinda expected some form of heat beyond "I weld shit when I'm cold"

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'd rather spend that money on tools that make me money, rather than a heater that only costs money. If I lived in a place that actually got cold I'm sure my priorities would be different though. I go back to Chicago to visit family every couple years, and when I get in the shop with my uncle I always wonder how anyone gets anything done in that cold.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Love your skills. Still waiting for more....

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Last night it felt like I started out by going backwards. I remembered that I still hadn't made a steering stop, which is just a simple tab underneath the head tube, but required taking the forks off repeatedly to get everything right. I think they went on and off about 6 times.

Once that was done I got to work on cutting the flanges off the stock exhaust in order to start on the new stainless pipes. I was a little surprised to find that the stockers were double walled. Guess the new stuff is really gonna flow a lot better! Right about the time I got them all cleaned up and ready to start measuring, my shop dog decided it was time to go inside and started getting in the way, nudging me away from the bike.

So here is how she sits for the night. Tomorrow I'll be getting started on the exhaust after I get some actual paying work done. Hopefully there will be something exciting to see.

Attachments

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well I finally got through all the real work (the stuff that pays) and got to spend a little time working on the new exhaust for this thing. It's all 304 Stainless, and so far it's coming together pretty well. The upper pipes are all 1.5" and the 2 outside ones step up to 1.75 just after the first bend. The plan is to have the 2 inner pipes merge into the outers and run down both sides to the mufflers with a cross pipe under the belly somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
excellent, clean work as always.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Haven't had a lot of time lately, but I've been trying to sneak in an hour or 2 here and there. Tonight I got to spend a little more quality time with the exhaust. Got the right side merge finished up, which was quite the tedious process. Getting everything to fit perfect takes a lot of fitting, grinding, sanding, fitting, marking, sanding, fitting, tacking, checking, welding... I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together though. Just need to make the other side match now!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 83 Posts