Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now I know why the M5 forum guys nickname this car "The Beast".

Edit: 2 pictures on page 3. Most pictures on page 4.
 

Attachments

·
Habitual line-stepper
Joined
·
11,594 Posts
More pics, man!!!


I'm buying an M3 this week......

mmmmm..... M cars.....

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
NinjaDuck said:
Now I know why the M5 forum guys nickname this car "The Beast".
Welcome to the M family. :cheers Have you looked into the Dinan upgrades?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
Very nice man! More pictures though.

I was walking around and drooling over a brand SPANKIN new M6 today at the gas station. Truly a work of art, especially that engine! I've seen one 2007 M5 in Greenville but this was the first M6 I've seen, too bad both of them were the hideous light blue color.
 

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kevinwilly said:
More pics, man!!!


I'm buying an M3 this week......

mmmmm..... M cars.....

:D
I'm suprised you finished your car comparisons and decided on a car. RX8 to S2K, (I may have missed others) and finally M3.
 

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JCM0165 said:
Welcome to the M family. :cheers Have you looked into the Dinan upgrades?
No Dinan. But I've spent a couple thousand in upgrades... to the driver. I was able to transfer those upgrades from my Miata (still have) my Audi TT (sold) and now the M5.
 

·
Habitual line-stepper
Joined
·
11,594 Posts
NinjaDuck said:
I'm suprised you finished your car comparisons and decided on a car. RX8 to S2K, (I may have missed others) and finally M3.

Oh yeah!! You had that TT.

Man! It took me a year and a half and about a million test drives to finally found something I'd be happy with! The M3 is just a REALLY fun car to drive. The steering feedback is fantastic, and the power delivery is so smooth. PLUS- it's fairly practical.

I was considering checking out the M5, but decided it would not be a good candidate for a track car if i needed it to be. Too much money if something were to go wrong (wreck). So i crossed it off the list. I'd still like to test drive one, though. See what i'm missing.

And i would still like an RX-8. But the M3 has more aftermarket, it was cheaper, and has more power. So there it was. I should be picking it up on Saturday if everything goes well.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,267 Posts
kevinwilly said:
Oh yeah!! You had that TT.

Man! It took me a year and a half and about a million test drives to finally found something I'd be happy with! The M3 is just a REALLY fun car to drive. The steering feedback is fantastic, and the power delivery is so smooth. PLUS- it's fairly practical.

I was considering checking out the M5, but decided it would not be a good candidate for a track car if i needed it to be. Too much money if something were to go wrong (wreck). So i crossed it off the list. I'd still like to test drive one, though. See what i'm missing.

And i would still like an RX-8. But the M3 has more aftermarket, it was cheaper, and has more power. So there it was. I should be picking it up on Saturday if everything goes well.

:)


You forgot the part about it out living the R8 5 to 1 or more.... :lol





Wonder how long the 5 will last with Mr. AWD is the only way to go driving it..... LOLz :lao
 

·
Habitual line-stepper
Joined
·
11,594 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
You forgot the part about it out living the R8 5 to 1 or more.... :lol

Yeah, no kidding.... I test drove an M3 with 298,000 miles on it, JUST to make sure they held up pretty well. That thing still drove GREAT.

A rotary engine doing that? Doubtful!

But the RX is a tad cooler in my book. The M3 has the sleeper appeal, though.

I'm gonna be happy with the M, i think. I'm making the correct choice. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,267 Posts
Getting a rotary to 100,000 would take a act of God.... the Beemer 6 as with any I6 are inherently very strong durable engines since they are almost naturally balanced by design. That is one of the best designed engine types made.

The BMW's worries will come in the form of wiring problems as it gets older. BMW is famous for it's electrical systems ability to drive even the most dedicated mechanic's to the edge and beyond in the older cars.... as is MB's older cars as well. Usually takes 10+ years or more to surface.
 

·
Habitual line-stepper
Joined
·
11,594 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Getting a rotary to 100,000 would take a act of God.... the Beemer 6 as with any I6 are inherently very strong durable engines since they are almost naturally balanced by design. That is one of the best designed engine types made.

The BMW's worries will come in the form of wiring problems as it gets older. BMW is famous for it's electrical systems ability to drive even the most dedicated mechanic's to the edge and beyond in the older cars.... as is MB's older cars as well. Usually takes 10+ years or more to surface.

Oh, I-6's are my favorite engines by a LARGE margin.

And yeah- i'm not too worried about the wiring. In about five years or so it'll most likely get turned into a track-only car. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,267 Posts
Hehe, ought to be a fun one.... :) I've personally done things to I-6's that simply defy description.... I have tortured many engines in my lifetime but none can do the things those 6's have done.... imagine a engine running at WOT on the side of the road. With no oil (ripped a hole in the pan several hours before parking it!!!) or water in the radiator... driving away in friends car getting a 12 pack going to the beach and kicking back finishing the 12 off in 2 hours or so and driving back to my house passing the 62 Nova on the side of the road STILL RUNNING!!!!! Not well of course, sounded like it had 2 dozen chimps in it with ball peen hammers going crazy in it, backfiring from the carb like a UZI because the intake valves had burned and was allowing combustion chamber fire into the manifold igniting the incoming mix.... it was a scene I will never forget...

Talk about insane.... the entire upper half of the engine was glowing bright orange!!! :eek:
 

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kevinwilly said:
The M3 is just a REALLY fun car to drive. The steering feedback is fantastic, and the power delivery is so smooth. PLUS- it's fairly practical.

I was considering checking out the M5, but decided it would not be a good candidate for a track car if i needed it to be. Too much money if something were to go wrong (wreck). So i crossed it off the list. I'd still like to test drive one, though. See what i'm missing.
:)
The M5 can be a decent track car. The AMG sedans I’ve seen take it easy most laps (get passed), hard one lap (pass others), and stop 10 minutes into our 20 minute session at Infineon. It seems the brakes and discs can’t hold up stopping 4k lbs for a whole track session.

Time to brush up on my conservation of momentum.

The power in the M5 is smooth like the M3, there is just a little more of it. :)
 

·
Habitual line-stepper
Joined
·
11,594 Posts
NinjaDuck said:
The M5 can be a decent track car. The AMG sedans I’ve seen take it easy most laps (get passed), hard one lap (pass others), and stop 10 minutes into our 20 minute session at Infineon. It seems the brakes and discs can’t hold up stopping 4k lbs for a whole track session.

Time to brush up on my conservation of momentum.

The power in the M5 is smooth like the M3, there is just a little more of it. :)

Oh- they make GREAT track cars. They are just a LOT more expensive. I'd rather have something that i could survive crashing (financially). Plus the M3 is lighter weight, which i'm all about.

There's nothing wrong with the M5, that's for sure! Just a little more than a wanted to spend at this point!
 

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Wonder how long the 5 will last with Mr. AWD is the only way to go driving it..... LOLz :lao
I cross shopped the Porsche Turbo (out of price range), RS6 (auto transmission only), and Evo (not my style). I will miss passing everyone (not kidding) on Turn 4 of Infineon with a short all wheel drive drift to the left.

I know if I try that maneuver in the M5 I’ll spin. The 5 will last, I’m going from group 4 (most experienced) to group 2 to learn the characteristics of my 5. I’ve raced my Miata also, it’s just the Audi TT has gotten me the most wins.
 

·
Smiley Gladhands
Joined
·
3,050 Posts
NinjaDuck said:
Now I know why the M5 forum guys nickname this car "The Beast".
Is that really the only picture you have of the car? The M5 is a great car, but that one seems a little beat up for a 5 year old car...:rolleyes I would like to se the rest of the car.
 

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kevinwilly said:
But the RX is a tad cooler in my book. The M3 has the sleeper appeal, though.

I'm gonna be happy with the M, i think. I'm making the correct choice. :)
+1 on the sleeper appeal, especially for cops. It feels like I'm wearing a shirt and tie everywhere in the M5. The Audi TT felt more like "look at me" Prada.
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top