Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyway, I signed up for the MSF course and took the classroom part on Thursday. And today was the riding part.. I had to wake up at 5am so i can get down to Mission Viejo. Man i tell you, this course is worth every penny. I hear that constantly, and it's the truth. It's amazing how 5 hours of nonstop riding and coaching can actually make you feel and ride the bike comfortably. It was raining today too... like drizzling (but a lot)... and everyone ended up getting pretty wet with water on their face and eye protection. But i guess it was for the best cause .. now i have ridden and learned in a more dangerous situation. Man, it was real fun though. Got used to the bike pretty quickly ... and taking those corners while leaning is the best feeling in the world! For those of you that are not taking the MSF course, i will be one of the many people to support the fact that the MSF course will save your ass. During the course, i was wondering how people learn to ride on their own with bad habits and not get killed. It seems almost impossible to ride a bike without some type of course or training. The only thing that I had some tiny trouble with was.. the staloms. When the cones were evenly spaced out, i did fine.. but when they were zigzagging and spread out unevenly, it was pretty hard cause it's hard to control the bike at such low speeds. But overall i had a great time. I just hope to get my bike reallll soon cause now, i know riding is for me! :D thanks for the advice from everyone on my previous threads.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from the looks of it... im thinking a 500r. I wanted a cbr600 or something like that.. but it'll cost me too much. Also considering a 250ex ninja too. But i have no idea where to find these used bikes! ebay is so limited

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yeah.. i want to ask something.. just to take opinions. (Kind of like a poll)

If you were beginning and choosing a bike, would you take a 1) Kawa 500r , 2) 250EX, 3) Honda cbr f2.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Try craigslist too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
wow, cowabunga dude, totally sweet - im gonna throw my flip flops on and go ride - after that I might come in and kiss up to the sportbikes.net "Anything besides an ex250" sucks croud

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
have fun out there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On the offset slaloms you have to remember to look ahead to the next set of cones instead of the set your currently going through, that way you don't get fixated on one and run right over it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
personally i thought the MSF was boring and too n00bish, but i already had riding experience so i already knew it all. i have a 04 500r, awesome bike, would recommend it. its def better than the gs500. i wouldnt consider the 250 ninja, its too weak for highway riding and you really have to wring it out to get usable power. i would take the 500 ninja over the older f2 cbr too.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
513speed said:
wow, cowabunga dude, totally sweet - im gonna throw my flip flops on and go ride - after that I might come in and kiss up to the sportbikes.net "Anything besides an ex250" sucks croud
okay dude. took me a while to understand what in the world you're saying. If I misinterpretted, my apologies. However, sounds to me like your post has no relevance to this thread. I'm just talking about my MSF experience and asking around for good first bikes. Has nothing to do with "anything besides a ex250 sucks". As for the kissing up? Please.. nothing in my post shows any "kissing up" other than my thanks to those that gave me advice.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
For a new rider I would get a 500, but I am saying this from my experience. After having taken the MSF course myself, I would love to have a 500 or an older F2 to just beat on.

However, I remember what it was like to be a new. You have no experience on the bikes so you don't know what they are like. You're about to drop a chunk of change and you're afraid that you will get a small one and be disappointed. Get the 500 anyway. You really won't be disappointed, and you haven't even made it up to highway speeds. That EX500 will seem plenty fast when you get goin 60 or 70 mph.

When I got the F2 in 94, I wish someone had been around to tell me these same things.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lemosley01 said:
For a new rider I would get a 500, but I am saying this from my experience. After having taken the MSF course myself, I would love to have a 500 or an older F2 to just beat on.

However, I remember what it was like to be a new. You have no experience on the bikes so you don't know what they are like. You're about to drop a chunk of change and you're afraid that you will get a small one and be disappointed. Get the 500 anyway. You really won't be disappointed, and you haven't even made it up to highway speeds. That EX500 will seem plenty fast when you get goin 60 or 70 mph.

When I got the F2 in 94, I wish someone had been around to tell me these same things.
thanks for the advice. i'll go with the 500 for a couple months to a year. then upgrade. :D I think... as much as ai want a damn nice looking and quick bike, the insurance just ain't worth it.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
question. at the end of the MSf course... the last day of riding, is there a test? If you fail it, you don't get to pass the course, meaning you don't get motorcycle endorsement? Or is it just.. as long as you do decent and don't do anything stupid like dropping the bike, it's okay?

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
You need to pass the written test as well to get full cert. The test is pretty easy. If you've been paying attention and studying the motorcycle booklet you should be fine.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I thought the MSF was fun too, although I found the classroom time a bit boring. Anyway, the written test is a breeze and the riding test is no sweat, either. Honestly, don't get nervous about it because that's when you'll screw up. Just take it easy and have fun :cheers

Also, go with the 500R. I did and I have no regrets. Easy on insurance and it's a blast to ride. You'll have a lot of fun with it :banana

1 - 20 of 41 Posts