Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with ZX11's, you know you can't just pull the rear turn signals and put on some short stalks because they are molded into the body.

All that is made for this bike is clear lights, or at least thats all I could find. I thought that clear lights on a black bike would look a little odd, so I did something a little different.

For those interested in doing it yourself, here is what I did.

I removed the lights from the bike. I made sure they were clean of dirt and moisture.

VHT makes a spray called "Nite Shades." It is basically a transparent black used to tint various objects. I sprayed it on, a couple coats, and saw that the finish was not what I expected, it was very dull, a flat black if you will, and the lights stuck out like a sore thumb.

I ran to the local Wal Mart and got some Krylon clear coat, it was some "Tripls Thick Glaze" or something, and it worked great. If you use this clear, it may turn cloudy as you spray. Do not worry, it will dry and be perfectly clear. I used 3 coats of this clear, to make sure it would withstand the rigors of street driving. I let them sit for 24 hours then put them on the bike.

I used the same process for the front turn signals as well, and pulled off the Ninja stickers to enhance that "all black" look.

Let me know if you all have any questions!

Arron

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Hot damn, that turned out excellent!!! Good job Stang Man! I got a feeling you may be starting a trend for all the ZX 6 & 11 owners out there.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
ya know, it looks really good. Im impressed. Im not into alot of mod work, but I have to say, I like it!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Very, Very Nice. I use to have a 91 ZX11 and all the had was the clears so I didn't change them out. That definitly looks good. Excellent Job.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
nice i have a zx-6d. could u take some pics of the front lights to. but very nice

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I'm sure I could make a little bit of money if I sold them to the other owners out there, but its so easy to do I couldn't justify charging someone to do it.

Heres a shot of the front, sorry the lighting was so crappy, its really bright outside.

bdavis24 said:
nice i have a zx-6d. could u take some pics of the front lights to. but very nice

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
slo_tom said:
Damn, man. That is really good looking.

Thanks :nerd All I need now is a tinted windscreen and I'll be done until I repaint it Kameleon Orange!

Heres what it used to look like...

Attachments

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
where's you get that stuff at? I'm thinking what a cheap way to do a tinted windshield.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may work for a windscreen, I was thinking of doing mine as well, but its got too many deep scratches.

I got mine from the local auto parts store, they had to order it though. www.summitracing.com may have it, or www.jegs.com, but I'm not totally sure. If you can't find it, do a search on google.

Arron

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
looks good, nice work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts