Sport Bikes banner

My latest crash (CCS race at Summit Point)

19K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Tony216 
#1 ·

If you want to skip all the boring stuff, there is a link in the video description that will fast forward to 17:13 where the crash happens (video is unedited). I was running an insanely low tire pressure for my front tire, which probably contributed to the crash (Bridgestone R10 soft compound). I was unhurt, bike was unhurt until the next race my motor exploded.

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah that particular turn is pretty bumpy. The bumps might have set the whole thing off, not really sure. I was definitely asking a lot of the front tire (it was low on pressure, and on its 4th race weekend). There was a lot of chatter before the tire tucked. Not sure if that was the tire gripping/re-gripping or just the normal zx6r chatter that I sometimes get. I tried to lift the bike with my knee, but didn't work out so good.

Wow, if you pause it right you can see the guy behind you whizzing right by your head. Scary shit, man. Glad you're unhurt. Damn shame about the bike, though.

Yeah I'm glad he didn't run me over, that would have sucked. All in all not a bad crash though (was going about 90-100 mph) tumbled when I hit the gravel a little bit. My leathers are destroyed (5 different holes). So I have a new engine installed, and a new Dainese suit. Racing is expensive. At least I don't have any broken bones to heal!

#6 ·
It's funny, I was watching the video and watched you go way down the inside of that lapper and thought, "well, I guess this is where he's gonna crash."

Are you going to Summit next week? If so, keep an eye for me. I'll be on a red/yellow Buell XB, am216. I'll probably be cursing up a storm because this is a new bike to me, as my old one is dead.

#8 ·
not sure if it was just the camera vibration or not, but it seemed that your front was giving you hints that it was unhappy for a few laps before you finally tucked-it.

but, you were doing some serious work out there all the way up to the wreck. glad you're ok...

s3aturnr

#10 ·
As for the suit, contact Alexa @ SpyderWorks or Buffalo Bill (Google him, you'll find him). Maybe one of them can replace a panel (or 2) and the suit can be used again.

#12 ·
The suit is REALLY jacked up, not only are there holes, but the entire right side of the suit is "thin" from all the road rash, non replacable elbow slider is pretty much worn all the way through as well. Might just hang in my garage as a reminder of what not to do in the future ;)

#13 · (Edited)
I've heard that generation zx6r has some suspension chatter issues up front when you're really pushing it hard. Was that what we were seeing right before the crash?

Edit: Re-read the thread and noticed the comment about the chatter earlier. Has it ever been bad enough prior that you thought it could lead to a crash?

#14 · (Edited)
On Dunlops its bad, on Pirelli's or Bridgestones, it rarely chatters. Even on the Dunlops, if you play with the suspension you can tune out the chatter. I'm pretty sure the chatter in the video before the crash is just the tire saying "bye" to traction. This bike is on a completely stock suspension (no cartridges, no rear shock, no nothing). So dealing with a bumpy track like Summit is tough, there are HUGE bumps at the apex of almost every high speed turn. This was another reason I was running the air pressure very low on the front tire (to help absorb the bumps at full lean). I feel the R6 (with adjustable high speed compression for the stock forks) has a big advantage in this regard. I actually like the Showa BPF's, especially on the brakes but compared to the R6, it just doesn't have the same front end traction. I still prefer the zx6r for the motor however. At the track everyone and their little brother have an R6, its kind of annoying ;)

#15 ·
It looked to me that you may have possibly ran out of front end travel. With entering that corner under hard braking I noticed the front wheel was no longer moving up and down, it seemed bottomed out. If that's the case some added spring rate maybe even compression could have helped prevent that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.