Sport Bikes banner

My K6 600

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  DrBuzz 
#1 ·
Gone

:eatpop

Bought it in October last year, traded my R1 in on it... dissapointed, How can Suzuki make such a great engine, and wrap it in a shit body?

Paintwork - shit
Fit and finish - shit

7500 Klms on it, $10500....did my dough on it but am relieved to be rid of it...

Never again Suzuki... :bitchslap

#6 ·
Anyone want to let Mladin and Spies know their bikes are shit?

I have had mine for a little over a year and love it!

#8 ·
Thorny said:
i thought "australian" was just english with an accent and some different slang terms like of like english in england.

what dont you like about the newer models? i personally dont like the newer ones because of the seat fit and the odd headlight.
Painwork - extremley thin, my knees had managed to wear through the paint on the corners of the side fairings, and i'd only put 7500 kays on it (occaisional weekend rider between using other bikes), scratches on the black paintwork painfully obvious.

No clearcoating?? - Sticker actually started to lift on me during a light washing

Rear indicator lenses - great idea having them integrated, piss poor idea to have the clear lenses not actually mesh with any of the other body work

Frame welds - were they designed to snap ?? i'd love to know... i've seen three current models written off in lowside front end impacts... compared to a honda 954 that snapped in the tripple clamps leaving the frame and headstock untouched

Injection - no where near optimum.

Look, i totally understand that many customize their bikes over the course of ownership, I did not expect a brand new motorcycle to perish to the extent mine had over the last 10 odd months, my bike was always garaged, and looked after.

Even at this rate, I wouldnt be putting PC3's and pipes on, i'd be re spraying it and buying alternate body work.

I owned a 2000 model R1 before it, rode the pants off it, and still managed to sell it in great condition.

Are manufacturers saving money in production? are we not paying enough for our bikes??

I paid 14,500 for my bike last year (14500 aud) is actually a run out price (originally 16k) - I just fail to see the value.

#9 ·
Maybe they do things differently for them in Australia? The clear coat on mine is pretty thick plus I used to wax it a lot. For the sections where your body will be rubbing a lot, like the fairings where your knees are, use the clear tape they use for cars when they paint them and know things are going to be rubbing against them or adjust the rearsets to take some of the angle out of your knees so they are not as pressed up against the fairings.

The bikes are tuned from the factory with fuel mileage and only mid-range on the full output on the bike's performance. A new fuel injection map would take care of some of the issues with the throttle or throwing a power commander on it. Some of what the performance issues might be the fact that you went from a bike that pushes 140+hp to a bike that only does 112hp. The only problem I was with the fuel injection was the instant drop when you rolled off the throttle with the on/off affect, the power commander fixed that.

As with anything that is welded, with enough pressure the welds are going to snap. The welds are a weak point on frames as when the energy is passed thru the frame that is solid and gets to the weld, they can't hold them same pressure. On the lowsides you mentioned, was the welds on the swingarms that gave way?

#10 ·
OFFICER737 said:
On the lowsides you mentioned, was the welds on the swingarms that gave way?

All good points occifer, I want to believe, I really do, but in comparison to the other manufacturers, Suzuki are seriously lacking.

The frame snaps were on the main weld a few inches back from the headstock (identical to the K7 THOU we saw pics of that was launched into a dealership wall) Snapping the forks and the headstock clean off)

I understand aluminium doesnt have great tolerances to bending, and I wasnt directly affected by the problem, but having seen both yamahas and hondas in similar situations I constantly ask why what differences are being made in the manufacture of the frames?

The clear coat is non existant in all suzukis over here, possibly a regional thing too, frustrating none the less.

With such advances in motorcycling, we are still left with a product of this sort of quality.

My bike is not unique, every year model 600 / 750 / 1000 I know of are suffering the same detrimental effects on the paint job, the same lack of finish in the joins of the plastics, and internal fairing mounts.

#11 ·
Ahhh....I know exactly the weld areas you mean now! If it is the same problem as I am thinking about people had issues with landing hard wheelies and the front end snapping clean off too. Most of the cracking I have seen on the 600 so far has been on the swingarm.

I wonder if maybe there is some chemical used in the paint or clear coat that Australia doesn't permit or something? My issues haven't been with the paint job but more of how thin and brittle the plastics are.

#13 ·
Maybe its because they keep selling like candy to the kids/squids, so need to make it better, they will always sell. I have always loved the suzuki but because of the fact that everyone has one, I don't think I will ever buy a GSXR. Its like owning a Honda civic.

#14 ·
OFFICER737 said:
The only problem I was with the fuel injection was the instant drop when you rolled off the throttle with the on/off affect, the power commander fixed that.
This is one of the only dissapointments I have with my k6 600. Aside from the random rattling in first or second. I can't stand the sudden jerk when rolling barely off the throttle, you say a PC will fix it? Are they easy to install? I like having a little bit of trunk space, so I'm not sure how much it will take up.

#15 ·
prodigal27 said:
This is one of the only dissapointments I have with my k6 600. Aside from the random rattling in first or second. I can't stand the sudden jerk when rolling barely off the throttle, you say a PC will fix it? Are they easy to install? I like having a little bit of trunk space, so I'm not sure how much it will take up.
Good point. I'm still so new to riding, I can't put into words what I feel or what is going on that I do infact don't like. I also have an issue with the roll off, but its that way on my 650r as well. I don't think its solely the problem with Suzuki's EFI. Its hard to sit down and say what seems to be an issue, when I feel its just the way it is.

I'll have to go home and check out my Gixxer a little closer for the paint. I love my Gixxer because of the way it performs. It was also a matter of what felt good to me. My only 2 choices for middle weights were a zx6r ('07) or the gixxer and the gixxer felt better on my ass. Honda's were to expensive for what you got and it only performed marginally better than a Gixxer 600. And lets be serious, how many of you out there are going to put a Gixxer600 or CBR600rr to the limits on the street?

While I understand some people's feelings about gixxers being like Honda Civics, in my town, it really isn't so. From what I see there are equal mixes of all brands of bikes.

-JD-

#16 ·
I've never heard someone compare a GSXR to a Civic, but I can somewhat see the correlation. They are both outstanding vehicles, and until recently the Civic has been pretty easy to come by in terms of pricing.
But I think every experienced rider on this board can appreciate that the major bike manufacturers, don't compare to car manufacturers. I believe that motorcycle companies put a lot more heart, design, and appreciation into their work. Especially if you consider pricing. I love my GSXR, if it were a lady friend I would probably have mini-gixxer running around.

#17 ·
In my past experience a power commander and exhaust will fix all of the throtttle response and deceleration issues.

#19 ·
WhoUtink said:
Maybe its because they keep selling like candy to the kids/squids, so need to make it better, they will always sell. I have always loved the suzuki but because of the fact that everyone has one, I don't think I will ever buy a GSXR. Its like owning a Honda civic.
coming from a person who rides a lil 250... who gives a shit what other thinks... Suzuki's are the baddest bikes out there... best top end ever!

everyone has there own diffrent opinions..

i love my suzuki..

#21 ·
Nothing wrong with Ninja 250's. I had one for two years with no regrets except for selling it. Put a 15t front sprocket on it and it will run down the highway at 90 mph all day at about 9.5k rpm. I just love it when people run their mouths about them and have no idea what they are talking about. It may not be a real sportbike ( it's not far from a standard) but it holds it's own, unlike the other 250's.
/threadjack off :p

#20 ·
Just joined up...and have just bought a new GSXR 600 K8...did a little bit or shooping around first and came down to the CBR600RR AND THE GSXR600. I liked both bikes but went with the gsxr with the new 2008 changes...Only done 350km on it so far but it feels good on the road and is very comfortable 2 ride.....so far so good....would like to upgrade after 12 months to a 750 and will keep options open to other models then 4 sure....sydney roads are very unforgiving as i have learnt in the past but have to ride somewhere...haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.