Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hugger is off-center pretty badly and I was wondering that other peoples huggers looked like. I've looked at it and taken it off and not sure what could be wrong. Could it possibly be from when I lowsided and somehow that bent the swing arm?:eek: I'm probably over paranoid about this but wondering what else it could be. The hugger itself does not look bent when I took it off. Its hard to see but here are some pics. The hugger is almost touching the sidewall of the tire on the left side.





 

·
Ride Naked
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
Here's a pic of mine for reference. Yours does look a bit off to me. If the bike's been down, I'd be guessing something got bent. Any possibility it could be the two tabs that the chain guard side mounts to? They could be bent, which would skew the whole thing.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the picture crx, I did check the two tabs and one looked a little bent. I bent it back so it was straight and the position of the hugger didnt change, so I'm stumped.
 

·
Ride Naked
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
FZSilver said:
Thanks for the picture crx, I did check the two tabs and one looked a little bent. I bent it back so it was straight and the position of the hugger didnt change, so I'm stumped.
Hmmm... I was thinking that they could be causing it to bow, making it appear crooked. Have you taken the whole thing off and set it on a flat surface to see if the hugger itself is misshapen? Other than that, I'm kinda stumped too. Hopefully it's NOT the swingarm. I could be wrong, but I would assume that if the swingarm was bent, you'd feel it when riding... right? Anybody? Bueller?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crx81 said:
Hmmm... I was thinking that they could be causing it to bow, making it appear crooked. Have you taken the whole thing off and set it on a flat surface to see if the hugger itself is misshapen? Other than that, I'm kinda stumped too. Hopefully it's NOT the swingarm. I could be wrong, but I would assume that if the swingarm was bent, you'd feel it when riding... right? Anybody? Bueller?
I've taken it off and put it on the ground and it seemed to be fine. I have noticed a little difference when I am cornering but I think its just because I am still a little shaken from when I went down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
Can you take a pic of the right side of the hugger, particularly the mounting points? It almost looks like the mounting is off somehow on that side, causing things to be crooked. I can't remember how it's mounted right now, but I know there's a little metal bracket on that side that might have gotten oriented wrong.
 

·
TD Survivor
Joined
·
944 Posts
looks like this part is bent which seems to be causing the problem
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fraggle1 said:
Can you take a pic of the right side of the hugger, particularly the mounting points? It almost looks like the mounting is off somehow on that side, causing things to be crooked. I can't remember how it's mounted right now, but I know there's a little metal bracket on that side that might have gotten oriented wrong.






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for poiting that out redoliander, I'll take the hugger off and try to bend that part and see what it does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
cut it off :)
 

·
TD Survivor
Joined
·
944 Posts
or wait till i have a chain guard made, with a little more modification ill send it in to get finished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rdy2rd said:
Sure it's the hugger not the tire?
I did adjust the chain not to long ago but I was carefull to turn each adjusting nut the same amount. Do you think the rear tire could be that out of alignment and I wouldnt feel it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Did your swingarm contact anything when you low sided? I don't see any marks on it that would indicate that it did, but thought I would ask. The hugger is obviously very flexable and is going to misshape to match any other problems that you may have. If you truely think you did something to the swingarm and you have some mechanical ability, it isn't very hard to get the swingarm off of the bike. If you did that, you could check to see if its bent pretty easily.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top