Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quaker State makes a motor oil for high-mileage cars that they define to be greater than 75,000 miles. I think they need to rethink just how high that mileage is. Here's what I saw on my odometer on my trip from Des Moines to Iowa City. It's a 1991 Honda Accord lx AutoX beast.

Attachments

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Looks like you got your moneys worth! I have over 175k on an F150 and like 90k on my Expedition. You still got me whooped between them both.

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My spare motor (left over from a parts car - currently sitting in the garage waiting for me to work on it) is a low-mileage 177k mile engine. :D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ah to be young without a care in the world if you are stranded in the middle of nowhere....

Lets see - my high mielage truck just rollwed over 20K and the Odyssey just hit 9K. Better trade em in.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Sounds like my wife. She has been through 8 vehicles since I bought my f150.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
scotty said:
Ah to be young without a care in the world if you are stranded in the middle of nowhere....

Lets see - my high mielage truck just rollwed over 20K and the Odyssey just hit 9K. Better trade em in.

Ah to be old and able to waste money. :twofinger

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
S'pose I could save money and my face get all hairy and stuff so I could blend in with the critters befores I shoots at 'em. Yee Haw! :lao

Hey I paid my dues and have been brokey broke. But then again, I don't live too high on the hog. But 300K on a car - you got to be young to get away with that. With the wife and kids it's a diff story. Can I get an amen my brotheren? :bowdown

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dude, it's a Honda. The 1990-1993 Accords were damn bulletproof, as long as you take care of them. They have problems with frying the ignition coil (I always have a spare), and the main ignition relay (also have a spare). Other than that, rust on the rear fenders is all the problems they really have mechanically. In five years of driving it, I've only been stranded once, when I fried my ignition coil, and this includes some trips to NYC, Florida, DC, and such. There was a 92 one that went a million miles. Honda bought the car from its owner and gave him a new Accord. The old one is in some museum of theirs now.

Then again, I can see where a wife and kids wouldn't appreciate being stranded even once in five years.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Dude, it's a Honda.
Don't believe the marketing hype. I have seen Chryslers go 500,000 miles too but it doesn't mean they are very reliable. Inherently little things go on an older vehicle...even Hondas. I'm sure you have some of those and you may not give a rats azz about it but they are there.

Yeah, the whole little kids potentially being stranded thing prevents me from ever keeping a vehicle TOO long. I'd go 150K miles though.

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It helps to have a parts car for those little things, but I know exactly what you mean. As long as you have the time and energy to work on it bit by bit, it's not a problem. As soon as you have other much b***** obligations, yeah, it's time to move on. And if you don't have a parts car, those little costs start to add up. The easy part for me is that this car is going to become a dedicated AutoX car once I fix up the subaru, and I can work on the little things without aggrivating more little things into breaking.

And as far as the marketing hype, I don't believe it for the new hondas. The only reason I say it for this generation of Accordsr is because I've seen so many of them from under the hood, and have had experience with about 20 as far as people coming in for continued check-ups or minor maintenance.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Agreed - their reliability is down from whatit once was or maybe their reputation is up making people believe they are more reliable than they are.

Their designs are quite good though. The 06 Odyssey we have is a good runner. Hauls ass and gets great mileage especially with the VCM. I get almost 30 on the hwy when I am taking it easy and going the speed limit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are go for a buy a car that time you are show that what is that mileage, some time in a high mileage effected for your car engine. Good quality oil is most important for a high mileage. lower mileage is always better than that of a higher mileage, so that the lower mileage price is always higher.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Even tho the last post was a necrobump, i just hit 200k(last month, 205k now) in my 2000 Monte Carlo. Oil changes every 15k. Not even a check engine light.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Never owned a car less than a decade and drove it less than 150,000 miles, except the convertible which I totaled. But yeah, stuff starts breaking after awhile on any vehicle.

·
Spider Monkey Invasion
1,316 Posts
When I was testing 911 for cell companies, I put 396k on a Cadillac Seville STS, 289k on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and another 180k on a VW Jetta TDI in 3.5 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts