Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my girl decided that she would would like to get into the sport. We've reserved a spot for her in August to take the msf. (not paid yet)

I was just curious as to what kind of bikes the smaller ladies are riding. She's only 5' and weighs 100lbs, so she is quite tiny. (the runt of the family)

Can you ladies make some suggestions or let me know what bikes you are on, or that she could be comfortable on. The only way I know how to lower a bike right now is by shaving the seat a little.

Anyother advice or opionions abotu her getting started are welcome...

I think Im more excited than she is....

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Congrats to your girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And good for you for being a caring b/f.

I started out on the Ninja 250--great bike, very forgiving, it has a low seat of 29" but like you said if you shaved off some--that would help it too, light bike and easy to handle. I am 5'4" and totally flat foot that bike and my knees are bent when I do.

Also make sure to get her good gear especially a good helmet--don't settle for a cheapie! Have to protect the coconut LOL

Take her out to some dealerships and let her sit on the bikes as well to kind of get a feel for them too!!

I am so happy for you both!!! Keep us updated on her progress ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got her gear a few days after I got my bike. We got her a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, gloves and an HBC helmet. (Same helmet has mine, just a lot smaller.)

Were going to a local bike shop this evening so she can get a feel for what she likes. Im trying to push her more towards a sportsbike type ride, but whatever she feels good on is what we'll get.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Congrats to her and you for being such a supportive bf! I think the bst thing to do is go fot the 2fiddy.. or 250. It'll let her get a feel for a sportbike, but not to much power. I did the wrong thing and started big! I started with a 750. Huge mistake but I did learn alot, like how to wad my bike .. :D no but seriously, have her start small. When she feels confident enough, go to a 500 or a older used 600.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmm...I can't speak to the height issue (I'm 5'11" with a 35 inch inseam) but I have shorter friends that had the same dilemma. One chose an SV650 and she had problems on any type of grade because she was right on the border of tippy-toes. Like the other ladies have said, have her "try on" various bikes. A Ninja 250 might be right up her alley. No need to start huge.

Thanks for getting another lady into the sport - and safely! Too many people overlook the importance of proper training. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
On bikes say like the SV650 you can also get lowering links. Sorry I wouldn't know where to get them seeing as I'm 5' 10" but I have seen girls with them... just a suggestion. :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Triton said:
Well, my girl decided that she would would like to get into the sport. We've reserved a spot for her in August to take the msf. (not paid yet)

I was just curious as to what kind of bikes the smaller ladies are riding. She's only 5' and weighs 100lbs, so she is quite tiny. (the runt of the family)

Can you ladies make some suggestions or let me know what bikes you are on, or that she could be comfortable on. The only way I know how to lower a bike right now is by shaving the seat a little.

Anyother advice or opionions abotu her getting started are welcome...

I think Im more excited than she is....

MORE POWER TO YA!

My 16 year old daughter (now 17) said to me one day...........Dad, can I race the drag bike? It took me a second to respond. To tell you the truth, I WAS AND AM ELATED!

It find it so cool that more and more women want to learn how to and/or are riding street bikes.

SO TOTALLY AWESOME!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
vfr rider said:
Hmmm...I can't speak to the height issue (I'm 5'11" with a 35 inch inseam) but I have shorter friends that had the same dilemma. One chose an SV650 and she had problems on any type of grade because she was right on the border of tippy-toes. Like the other ladies have said, have her "try on" various bikes. A Ninja 250 might be right up her alley. No need to start huge.

Thanks for getting another lady into the sport - and safely! Too many people overlook the importance of proper training. Good luck! :)

NINJA 250R!

So easy to work on
Many oem & race parts
Woman / Young Lady friendly
305 dry weight
more, more, more

·
Registered
234 Posts
the 250 is a great beginner bike and has a very low seat height. i'm 4'11 and i can touch ground on them. plus they are light. right now i am on a ducati monster 620, there are lowering kits or ways to lower most bikes out there. mine is down about 4 inches from stock.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I started on the kawai ex 500. After 3 years I went to the 750 and it spanked my ass on the june 27th in a bike wreck. Please be safe and don't ride over you head

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am sure you get the idea to start little.....I started on a 600, but I am a lil taller and really used to driving things with a scary amount of power....I raced cars before waking up and getting a bike. Weird thing is, I have never attempted to race my bike.....you learn to get a huge amount of respect for a bike and its strength.

Cj

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm 4'11" I'm on a SV650S we cut the seat down and put lowers on it"s a great bike easy to handle and balance.
Welcome to the sport! :grinbounc :grinbounc :grinbounc

·
Registered
157 Posts
250 or 500 ninja are the best choices. I got a 500 and don't regret it one bit and I'm 5'4" and can flat foot on the 500 with NO problem.

And kudos to you to let her ride!!! :headbang

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am 5'9 with a 34 inch inseam but I started on a Ninja 250. I really liked that bike it was great for a first bike. She should be ok on that with her height. I have since moved on to a GSXR 600, and after she becomes a good rider she will be able to move on to b***** just get it lowered. Starting small is always the best way to go, not to mention if you are little it will be alot more comfy and she will feel more secuire becuase she will have better control on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm glad to hear your girl is interested in getting into the sport. There's really not a whole lot I can add to wait everyone else has said. I too started out on a Ninja 500 I am 5'9" and wanted something small to start off and was really glad that I went that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started out on the Katana 600. I'm 5'6 and wasn't ever flat footed but I got used to it so it wasn't a big deal for me. She is pretty tiny so they ninja 250 or 500 would be a good starter bike. My girlfriend had a 250 and it was a blast. She can always move up later :eek:) owh and I miss austin. beautiful city... I'm up in madison WI now.... austin is my home :eek:)

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
250 or 500, but also suzuki has a gs 500 that looks more sporty, i dunno about the seat height though. i started on a ninja 250 and i'm 5'5. i was able to flatfoot w/o problems. i have a girlfriend that has a 250 and is 5'0 even and she can flatfoot, and move the bike around w/o any difficulty.

congrats on her getting into the sport! it is sooo great to see another female rider out there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congrats Triton for your gf wanting to learn to ride and to you for making sure she gets the training/gear and help she needs!! I love my 250.. glad I started out on that one since I am small too. Get her to join SBN~she'll get lots of tips on here that will help her out and she'll have fun being part of the sportbike 'community'!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts