Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just when I thought it would never happen to me, I wrecked. I was out riding yesterday around rush hour when all 5 cars in front of me werent paying attention and slammed on there brakes.. I was going the flow of traffic (probably alittle faster than I should have been going) and hit the back of the car in front of me. I went up over the handle bars of the bike and hit the car then rolled off on the road (I think thats what happened, at least what I was told). After that I got up really slowly, not sure what was going on, and walked over to the side of the road. Well I ended up breaking my forearm pretty bad and gettin alittle bit of cuts. Thank god this happened in front of a Hospital and the Police officer who saw this happen helped me out. He was really nice to me and stayed with me til I was temp released from the ER. From what I was told, the bike was in decent shape. Only front end was damaged and I'll probably need new tires front rim ect. One thing I wanted to ask you guys was what should I do with the bike? Sell it and get a new one? or repair it and pray no problems come along with it?

(sorry if it jumps around alot and/or not fully explained.. if you want to know more I'll explain it)

thanks everyone

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad you're ok man. I just had my 2nd accident about a month ago. Locked the front brake but managed to do somewhat between a low and high side. I got a radial tip fracture, sprained my wrist, and displace a pocket of fat in my arm to the point I couldn't articulate my arm. Other than that, gear saves. The bike is ok, mostly cosmetic damage, excpet I broke the clutch lever. Anyways, man glad your ok.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Glad you're ok for the most part. Did you have all your gear on?

I think your focus should be more on how to prevent this from happening again instead of what to do about your next bike.

The lesson to learn is allow more distance between you and the cars in front of you. I learned that lesson the hard way too, I think the two second rule should be more like four seconds if you're on a bike. At least that's how I ride now.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
th32070 said:
I think your focus should be more on how to prevent this from happening again instead of what to do about your next bike.
This is some of the best advice a SBN member has ever given :dblthumb

·
Registered
333 Posts
Cloud_Strife said:
Well just when I thought it would never happen to me, I wrecked. I was out riding yesterday around rush hour when all 5 cars in front of me werent paying attention and slammed on there brakes.. I was going the flow of traffic (probably alittle faster than I should have been going) and hit the back of the car in front of me.

So that would be all 5 cars and YOU weren't paying attention..correct? Glad you came out of it ok..condolences on the bike....no one likes a wrecked bike.

As said in the other post...leave ample space betwen you and the car in front of you..and scan as far ahead as possible. If you had been scanning ahead and reacted when the first car hit it's brakes instead of the last car, that might have made all the difference in the world.

Disclaimer: This is all just pure speculation from my experiences and I am by no means saying you are a bad rider.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
So its their fault you hit them eh? You could have avoided rear ending someone, even avoided panic braking in the first place.

When someone slams on their brakes, ALWAYS swerve to the side and brake next to the white line. Or just swerve and split the lane. Stop being a tard by tailgating people in the middle of the lane.

·
Duc hunter
1,269 Posts
since everyone else is harping the safety factor here, I'll say something about your bike haha.

If you slammed smack into the back of a car with the bike still upright, I'd be willing to bet you've got fork issues. As in, bent forks. Could be wrong, but I'd be extremely surprised they survived something like that and are still true. Might wanna get that checked out before you ride it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I wasnt tailgating (wasnt really far tho, but left a tire mark all the way to the point of impact) but yeah I had gear on. It was my fault.. really wasnt saying otherwise, but yeah I thought about trying to move out of the way but if I did the cars next to me would have hit me, and who knows what would have happened. But I most def am going to pay a lot more attention. Like I said, I thought I was a pretty decent rider but I think this was a message to wise up, so next time im not dead. I do agree, maybe it was a little dumb to be thinking about what I should do about the bike. AND my shoei helmet, saved my brain. I had couple of head scans done and everyone was shocked when I came back completely ok.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
leave more distance.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Cloud_Strife said:
Well I wasnt tailgating (wasnt really far tho, but left a tire mark all the way to the point of impact) but yeah I had gear on. It was my fault.. really wasnt saying otherwise, but yeah I thought about trying to move out of the way but if I did the cars next to me would have hit me, and who knows what would have happened. But I most def am going to pay a lot more attention. Like I said, I thought I was a pretty decent rider but I think this was a message to wise up, so next time im not dead. I do agree, maybe it was a little dumb to be thinking about what I should do about the bike. AND my shoei helmet, saved my brain. I had couple of head scans done and everyone was shocked when I came back completely ok.
I guess if coming back okay means coming back negative then sure. lol.

Apparently 5 cars in front of you WERE paying attention. It was that last person that rear ended somebody that wasn't. I couldn't even conceive of having so little skill and such a slow reaction time that I could rear end a car.

As for a next bike, I would see if you could sell the suzuki off as a track bike and use the cash towards a nice huffy or cannondale.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
BurnMyHeartDown said:
I guess if coming back okay means coming back negative then sure. lol.

Apparently 5 cars in front of you WERE paying attention. It was that last person that rear ended somebody that wasn't. I couldn't even conceive of having so little skill and such a slow reaction time that I could rear end a car.

As for a next bike, I would see if you could sell the suzuki off as a track bike and use the cash towards a nice huffy or cannondale.
Easy Rossi. Yeah, he screwed up, he knows, we know it, end of story. Get the bike fixed, pay more for your insurance and don't do it again. Always ride on one side of the lane, never the center. Also don't ever put yourself in a situation where you can't stop in time, cages will hit the brakes for the littlest things.

I'd bet the forks are done and I'd check the frame, Suzuki has never been known for their bikes withstanding front end hits well (more so then other brands lately) :D.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Oh how quickly the person that rear ends someone is to place the blame on the driver in front of them...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats funny.. I recall saying it was my fault. Oh well thanks for so much humble advice and sorry I wont be half the rider I suppose you are

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If you have to replace the front wheel I feel pretty confident that you'll have a problem with your forks too. Check the frame/steering head also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts