Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to make a post, because I saw a guy today riding in shorts, t-shirt, and glasses...

I loaned both of my helmets to a friend so he could Auto-x this past weekend, planning on bicycling to work the next day. Woke up the next morning late, wife left with the car already...so the only thing left was to take the bike....with no helmet. I havent ever ridden a bike w/o a helmet aside from moving my bike from the street to my garage, so I was a bit hesitant. Threw on the boots, the pants, jacket, gloves and my bug-like sunglasses and headed out.

The little respect I had for people who ride w/o helmets went away as soon as I got above city street speeds. At 50 mph my eyes were blinking 4 times what they normally did, and once I got to 60 mph I couldnt check my blind spot for fear of my glasses being pulled off my head due to the wind. The wind noise at highway speeds was deafening, and of course going down would be deadly.

I am now of the belief that there is no way you can ride safely at highway speeds with glasses only. The reason this is a big deal to me, is that odds are at some point I am going to have to try to keep some kid alive that goes down on his bike w/o a helmet.

Point being....wear your helmet. Or buy one if you dont wear one currently! Once you wear one...you wont want to ride without it.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Yeah I'm with ya, besides the eye problem it just feels unsafe (for lack of better words?)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had to move my bike the one night, I usually just hop on with no gear because I am just parking it closer to my building. I got the bright idea to do a lap around the block without my helmet. This was the first time I tried it, I admit the exhaust sounded pretty decent and the wind on my face was a different experience. But the thought of crashing and mashing my face freaked me out. I live in Pennsylvania where they just passed the law that you don't have to wear your helmet, I see people all the time ( just shorts, t-shirt/beater, and glasses) I mean come on. I saw a guy the other day, no shirt, with glasses and shorts. :lame

Bottom line: WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
yeah, I have never pulled to a light and someone say "nice hair".... but I get compliments all the time on one of my helmets (the Duhamel rep is my fav)

Helmets are cool. People who don't have a license, are too cheap or don't know the law (here in Texas) are the only ones without helmets....

·
who......me????
293 Posts
well...to me a good helmet is about $300, skin graphs...if you are still alive to get them, are much more costly

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
The only time I go without a helmet is during bike week, when you are stuck in traffic and only move about 10 feet per hour...I agree that I don't know how people do it on a regular basis...It's brutal on the face...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree... riding without a helmet is pretty uncomfortable. I can't imagine how much more fatigued I'd get from the wind without it.

I'm amazed when I pass through Connecticut, where they don't have a helmet law... it's very rare (I mean like 1/50) that I see a rider wearing a real helmet. So, the rest are betting that they won't EVER wreck?

The helmet improves the ride and, of course, the fall.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I don't, it does not feel right and there's no reason for it.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
L8 Braker said:
The only time I go without a helmet is during bike week, when you are stuck in traffic and only move about 10 feet per hour...I agree that I don't know how people do it on a regular basis...It's brutal on the face...

+1...if even that fast at Daytona!! :cry

I have contacts so the time when I lived in an apartment complex and just went to ride the bike over to the car wash section...it felt weird..I felt naked and the wind was drying up my contacts pretty bad..

·
Registered
522 Posts
iceman6729 said:
I think a sportbike rider without a helmet doesn't look right. I love my Suomy helmet and didn't pay all that money for it to sit on some shelf and look nice.

+1...helmets are what separates us from the harley guys

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
when i first started riding a sportbike i bought goggles for this reason. after a lengthy ride, the wind numbs your face, and when you stop, you have that 'ants' feeling on your entire face and neck. it was one of the most horrible sensations ever. the proper goggles work great for the wind, but the face numbing wind, and of course the lack of protection keep me from doing it anymore. i tried again a few days ago, just riding down to the beach, and i actually felt unsafe and almost scared while riding.

besides, the priller almost sounds like its broken when i dont have my helmet on. its wierd. this has been remedied since i put the new cans on, but before, i heard the engine noise without the muffling of the helmet, and i thought something was wrong, hehe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i actually feel more comfortable without a helmet when im jus riding around town jus crusin around...the wind in the eyes dont bother me anymore because i ride my custom around all the time w/o a helmet and i got a nice pair of riding glasses...but dont fallow my example i also drive w/o my seatbelt, skydive, and rock climb...i guess i jus put a lot of trust in god, and if he thinks its time for me to go i dont think anything is gonna save me from that...i think the way you ride is more important then the gear you wear...becuase when you hit a pole or guard rail at 100mph all your helmet turns into is a carrying case for your head...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Houston_Rider said:
but I get compliments all the time on one of my helmets (the Duhamel rep is my fav)...
I get so many compliments on my helmet as well.... You cant beat the dragon on the Duhamel! Everyone loves it!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I've done it once or twice to go to the store or across the street to a resturant, but it gave me the creeps... I dont like the feeling, and besides, the traffic noise if deafning. Even at 10 mph

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'll go a step further...

I can't see how guys can ride in open face helmets. I get back from a ride and there's so much shit on my faceshield that I can barely see sometimes. I'd hate to have that stuff bouncing off my face.

Of course, I look like an outcast with the Harley guys, but fuck'em. I ride further and faster than most of them anyway.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
808 said:
i actually feel more comfortable without a helmet when im jus riding around town jus crusin around...the wind in the eyes dont bother me anymore because i ride my custom around all the time w/o a helmet and i got a nice pair of riding glasses...
Do you ever wear a helmet?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have ridden with and without. I prefer a helmet for before mentioned reasons. The bugs, the wind etc.
When I ride without one I ride a bit slower because of the reasons cited above.
It is a great sensation to me but I prefer to wear a helmet.
I do respect the choice to not do so.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts