Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my first bike four days ago. A 1999 Honda CBR 600 F4. Not sure how
How many miles on as I am the third owner and the bikes odometer doesn't work. Two days before I got the bike it was started so I could hear it run and it ran really good. It had very little fuel in it and ran out when running it. Well when I got it home it only turn over and won't run. I hold the starter button down and it want to start but just won't run. I asked the person I got it from if he had problems with it an the answer was no. But he then told me that the bike had sat for a few months ant that fuel was old. What can I do. Any help is appercitated. This is my first bike so I want to try and work on it myself to learn the ins and outs of the bike. Also there is fuel in the tank. Thanks to anyone that can help

·
Registered
971 Posts
Did you fill up the tank or is there still very little gas in it?

Do you know how to work the petcock? If there is little gas in it, you should switch it to reserve.

If it's been sitting a few months, you should be fine filling it with premium (I think F4s need 91+ octane) and add some SeaFoam to the gas (I usually add one ounce per gallon) to clean the fuel system.

I'd also recommend changing the oil and filter, changing the coolant, changing the spark plugs, and changing (or recharging if it a K&N) air filter.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Fi bikes dont like any throttle when starting it floods em .Many a noob has made the mistake of tossin around with the thottle while trying to start a Fi bike . To clear said flood pin the throttle wide open and crank her till she starts . After that only touch the starter button do not twist the throttle when starting . If its the carb model .. well it could still be flooded in which case wide open throttle again and cranky away .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts