Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am maintaining a constant speed of say 30 mph in 1st or 2nd gear, and I whack it open the bike accelerates normally for the first second, then there is a slight lurch forward for a split second and then it continues accelerating as normal. I'm thinking possibly the chain is loose. Could that be it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
maybe its you going forward, not the bike. chain could be slipping on the rear sproket causing the bike to momentarily stop accelerting?

·
Registered
346 Posts
i got to thinking about this and maybe its not what i said. If the chain start to slip on the sproket under hard acceleration, it would most likely slip for more than a slip second. maybe timeing? clogged carb jets?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like the fuel mixture is off a little bit when the carbs get into the mains. They could be opening too much too soon or not enough. Any mods? Is the bike from the Rockies originally?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check your chain. I had a F2 which did the same thing the chain was loose and also the sprocket was worn causing the chain to slip on hard accel.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
If by lurch forward you mean that the bike momentarily looses power and then gains it back, another thing to check would be the vacuum hoses. My bike had a crimp on the vacuum hose that goes from one carb to the petcock to open the fuel. After I made it run with nice organic curves, part of the stumble went away. The rest went away after I found out that the vent on the tank was getting pinched by the seat. Easy things to check if the other posts didn't get at your problem.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I'm going to check all these things in the morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts