Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 916 with 3,500 miles that was running just fine last weekend.
The orange GEN light came on when I tried to start it last and it starts to crank but dosen't kick over. It sounds like the battery was on it's way out, but I put a charge to it and it was good. I even tried to jump it but that didn't work. The cranking just gets slower and then won't even turn over. I pulled the plugs and they are clean. The electronic fuel turns on and sounds right. It has new gas. I am at wits end before I must take it to the dealer who said they can't get to it for 3 weeks. If anyone has any suggestions or can shead some light on what might be the cause I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks Again....Tobias.

·
Registered
475 Posts
the three things an engine needs are air, fuel and spark. make sure it's getting each of those. I know you said you checked the battery, and even tried to jump start it, but if the cranking just slows down and eventually stops, it definately sounds like a dying battery to me. can you push start it?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
All things considered, check the wires to the battery first. Make sure they're tight and making good connections. If the wires were loose, the old battery is probably discharged as it could never get a good charge. If that's the case, fix the wires then recharge or replace the battery. If the wires seem OK and the battery is original, it may have just given up the ghost.

·
Registered
103 Posts
First of all, don't jump-start your bike--you can fry some electrical components that way. I damaged my bike's ignitor that way.

What does your manual say the "GEN" light means (generator?)?

"Sparking" the battery by connecting the terminals doesn't mean that it's in good health. I'd take that battery to a dealer and have them charge it and run a load test on it (good dealers will do this for free).

Definitely sounds like your bike needs a new battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clean your plugs. You probably fouled them up. They may look clean when you take them out, but nevertheless take a brass brush, clean the shit out of them, and I bet your bike starts right up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ok, heres what you can do. one check out your voltage regulator right under the battery. Is it the newer version or not. Also on the left side, stator side take the cover off see if you have a broken stator happend to me. cracked in two. check your fuel filter to see if you have a cracked hose from the pump to the filter. check the fuses on battery side. also check the to main relay's under the tail. usually also the negative on the starter side (left side) has problems and doesn't make the best contact. make sure all wires have good clean contact points. lots of problems on the early ducs with that.

Slava

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great suggestions!!

Thanks everyone for the input. I will be working on it tonight and let you know what I find (cross your fingers). This is why I dig the motorcycle community!! Thanks again. Tobias

1 - 10 of 10 Posts