Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...so far. Six weeks about this coming saturday I called and ordered my Corbin saddle so as to have a nice comfy seat for the miles I expect to put on my bike over the long weekend. When I called I asked about getting the back portion of the drivers seat area moved forward and inch and having extra padding put into the seat. This was supposed to be no big deal and I was told that even with the mods I would have my seat in four weeks. Well at the end of four weeks I called to check on my order. To start things off, they couldn't find my order. After they finally found it, I was told that they had not even started the seat yet due to them being very busy. I was then told that they would however have it done and sent to me with in the next week with no problem. This monday was the end of week five and still no seat. So I called again. Once again, they cannot find my order and then when they do I am again told that the seat has not been started and it is going to be a week. At this point I was pissed. I explained how things had been going up to this point and that I was told twice that I should have it by now and how unexceptable it was for them to first loose my order twice, and then promise I would have it by a specific time but yet the seat still wasn't started. At this point don't remember exactly what reasoning I was being given since I was highly pissed. I did proceed to find out that if I wanted to give up the modifications I had asked for, they would be able to get a seat done that day (Last Monday the 27th). I decided that I wanted the seat bad enough for this weekend that I was willing to go this route although it didn't fell right to me. I felt like I was getting the run around some how. Either way I agreed and told Andy (the operator) that I expected the seat here no later then this Friday so that I would have it for my ride. He said no problem and promised to call me later that day to verify that the seat was done and would be shipped. Three hours later at about 130 in the afternoon, I get the call. I was still a bit upset with the whole situation but had calmed down for the most part. Andy tells me that it is going out ground and should be here on Friday. I told him to make sure it was here by then. He then asked if I wanted to pay and extra $20 dollars to have it sent 3 day express to make sure I had it. That flaired me up all over again. I told him that I didn't believe I should be paying for that after all the crap I had already put up with and that Corbin could pay for it. I told him that I him even asking that question was out of line as far as I was concerned and that I wanted to talk to his manager. After a few other words and not talking to his manager, he agreed to ship it at there expense. Well it got here a day early and I was pleasently suprised. I was happy as a lark right up until I tried to put the seat on my bike. At that point everything went down hill. I have a full tank bra on my bike and they made the seat fit very tightly around the gas tank. Needless to say, it would not go on with the tank bra in place. This was disappointing, but was something that was not life or death. I removed the bra and then attempted to install the seat once again.......wouldn't go. The seat would not latch to the bike and still seemed to be rather tight around the tank. I remembered that someone else on here had said they had to shim the seat pin to get there Corbin to latch, so I went in search of a couple of washers. I found some and installed them, adding about and 1/16th of extra length to the stem. I installed the seat again and this time it latched, but just barely. I sat on the bike to feel my new seat and was happy with the feel. That made me forget that I just had to shim my $400 Corbin seat to get it to fit on my bike. At least it did until I tried to remove the seat. At this point I figured out that I need more shims. The seat was stuck, I couldn't turn the key to unlock it because of the excess pressure from the ill fit. Finally I had to put the bike on the center stand, climb up onto the back seat and sit, then reach down and turn the key. Needless to say, that P.O.S went back to the factory for a revamp. If they can fix it fine, if not then they can refund all of the money I spent including the shipping that I paid when they billed my card for the original purchase. As far as the shipping back to them goes, they paid for it and don't know it. :neener I'll see if they figure it out. If they do fix it, I'm thinking to smooth things over, I should get a free back rest or something. I would never have expected a big company like this to be such a pain in the butt to deal with. I'm seriously dissappointed with the whole thing and I am still going to be sitting on that terrible factory seat this weekend! Pissed me off!

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
I had quick delivery, within 2 weeks. The seat needed 3 or 4 washers on each side to get it to latch. That was annoying but all was forgotten once I had the seat and put some time on it. Too bad more companies don't offer a seat because Corbin seems to be taking some things for granted. A little more competition would be healthy. The damn thing is comfortable though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Corbin is a custom manufacturer for seats... that's why it takes so long, would you rather have a seat fast that is crap or a seat slow that is gold???

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
J0HNK said:
Corbin is a custom manufacturer for seats... that's why it takes so long, would you rather have a seat fast that is crap or a seat slow that is gold???
It was slow because of lousy dis-organized service procedure. Lost the order twice, changed the requested order to make it simpler, and still ill fitting. Now that's what you call gold!.. :lol

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I hear this guy is the best, and great customer service: www.erston.com

They're moving to a new server, so give it a few days before you try the site.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J0HNK said:
Yes I ordered a seat to custom specs, but they told me that it would not take more then four weeks to get it done that way. And, not only did they lose the order twice, but they promised it to me before this weekend twice and were still going to drop the ball. If I hadn't have called, there would have been no seat here by tomarrow. Not that it did me any good since it fit like crap! Considering this is probably one of the top three or maybe even two most expensive accessories the average rider would buy for a bike, the customer service and quality of the product should be a lot better. I'm sure it will be very comfortable, but so far it doesn't fit my bike correctly so its a mute point. Maybe I'm being a little over particular, but hey, it cost freakin' $400!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My corbin showed up a week early when I ordered it, but I didn't order it during the beginning of the season for buying bikes/gear. As far as the latch is concerned, I think everyones does that. It's a simple solution of putting your hand over the latch and pressing down to latch/unlatch it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bryancfrench said:
As far as the latch is concerned, I think everyones does that. It's a simple solution of putting your hand over the latch and pressing down to latch/unlatch it.

No, that is how you put the factory seat on or a Corbin that fits correctly. If you read the above rambling, even after I put shims in it, I almost couldn't get it to release.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Let me plug Erston again- people take him Corbins that they're unhappy with, and he fixes them while they wait.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
karst said:
Let me plug Erston again- people take him Corbins that they're unhappy with, and he fixes them while they wait.
Well let me ask this then....does he make new seats from scratch? And if so, will it be as comfortable as a Corbin supposedly is? By the way, I tried the link you posted just to see if maybe it would work, I was curious.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
He does work from scratch as well. His customers claim his are better than Corbins. I have seen the work, and it's good looking. Now you know everything I know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
J0HNK said:

It's slow because we ride FZ6's, not a huge market, and therefore our seat comfort is not top priority at Corbin. It's a shame. I sat on a sargent seat on a superhawk this past weekend. Very comfy, but they don't have an FZ6 seat yet, but they will customize our seats for us. hmmmm.

·
POP
490 Posts
Got mine in two weeks. no mods to it though. I say one mistake is human nature but two mistakes and the time it's taking you to get it, I think they should be footing the WHOLE bill. Just my personal opinion and you can read my signature to find out about those.

Metric, If I was president of Corbin you'd have your seat the right way no charge. If I was president of Corbin HA HA. And maybe I could light a fart and fly to Uranus.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know your pain man, I sent mine back over a month ago a for a seat modification to move the pocket forward and make the nose job less drastic. I am going to call "Polo" on monday (Manager) and find out where it is. Be carefull they won't take the seat back!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Corbin; hope they make everything whole for you. I'm extremely happy with my Corbin...it's getting broken in and feeling better with each ride- no more dead ass. My seat did not latch without a firm smack above the latch (I did NOT shim it) when I first got it. Now, after having ridden on the seat for just over 1.5k miles, the seat practically falls into the latch on it's own. They DO fit tight up against the tank; I believe that's been mentioned here a couple times. I'm glad I got one and figure it'll last me a long time...getting better every ride. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Erston heard I was looking into custom seats and emailed me directly. I just thought you guys would like to know he's a resource, even if you don't want to go to Seattle for a fitting.:

"Lisa,

Were you asking for info about seat makers? My email server was down
Thursday so I only caught the tail end of the discussion.

Since I'm in the industry, I have a pretty good mental list of who's out
there and who does which type of work best. I'd be happy to help with
recommendations (even if it's not to me :) if I knew what area you were
in and what type of bike you're looking for a seat.

Cheers,

- Erston"

I told him he might get some questions from FZ6 riders.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I think Corbin has gone downhill in the past two years or so. They were booming for a while, they had two or three big ass buildings on their compound that were all up and running. About a year or so ago, they had to close one if not two of the buildings due to financial problems. I'm sure that their product quality has remained the same, but their staff and production has declined. The reason I know this is because I live about 200 miles north of the factories and a buddy of mine lives in Hollister, where Corbin is located. I was thinking of getting one right around the time that they went bankrupt, and he kept bringing in articles in the Hollister newspaper about their problems. I'm sure it's fucking frustrating as hell to have to wait forever, but i'm sure that you won't be disappointed once the damn thing shows up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts