Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am happy to be above ground after getting sideswiped on the freeway, knocked into a utility truck, and then bounced off the cement barrier. My bike is totaled but I am thankful I am alive with a broken finger, a concussion and road rash everywhere. This is a testament as to why I always wear safety gear.

So, my mangled bike was a 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S. I really liked the power and comfort of that bike. So what do I get next? These are the bikes I am looking at: what's your opinion/why or what else should I look at?

2010 Honda VFR1200F (46k miles)
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS (54k miles)
2010 Yamaha FZ1 (36k miles)

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
Is your Bandit mangled to the point you can't rebuild it? Totaled just means the insurance company will give you what they think the bike is worth. Which may be more than you would need to put it back into decent condition.

If that's not an option, I would probably go with the VFR, even though I'm really not a Honda rider. The FZ1 comes next, and the Concours last, mostly because it's just too big for what I think a bike should be like. And, with the mileage on those options, see what kind of maintenance history you can dig up and what you can see that would let you assess what kind of condition they are in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not even seen the bike yet. It’s been in the impound lot for a few weeks. If it’s in decent shape I will consider buying it back.

·
Are we not men?
9,011 Posts
Impound lot for weeks?! You may owe more than what the insurance company is going to give you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Three weeks. The insurance company is transporting it out of the impound lot.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'd think the FZ1 would be the closest thing to your Bandit. If the bike only sustained light damage and only slid on the highway without crashing hard into something or without being run over by anything, I'd consider buying it back only if I have the skills, time and desire to rebuild it. If I take on a rebuild project just to end up with $2-3K in my pocket - fuck this shit... not worth it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, from my perspective, it depends on how you want to use the bike. The VFR has some weather protection and bags. It's a fun enough bike to ride, but not as flickable as the Bandit was. I always felt the VFRs felt a little heavy & wooden, but that's me, comparing it to the Yamaha FJR that I was riding at the time.

The C14 is a solid bike, super engine and you're getting real weather protection, all three bags, ABS and honest two up capability for touring or traveling. Still a fun machine and while she's 600 lbs, the big girl can dance, but she's still a big girl compared to the 600 bandit.

The FZ1 is closest to the bandit, another naked bike. And that's a fast machine with a great motor. I had an '02 FZ1 before the styling change to a more sport bike look. An easy bike to ride well, but like the Bandit, minimal weather protection.

If you want to take more trips and ride longer distances, get the C14. If you enjoy shorter trips and some hooligan sport riding, get the FZ1. If you want some of both, and some hard luggage, the VFR fits in the middle of the other two. Try to ride all three before deciding, as how they ride might make or break one or more to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the FJR and ST1300 as well. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a naked bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can find some great deals on low mile older FJRs. The basic bike hasn't changed and is a 200k mile motor. Lots of known info and accessories to suit your tastes. Again, she's a big girl at 600 lbs and with that 6.6 Gal tank, you notice it at parking lot speeds, but it disappears at speed. The turbine like whine and fantastic power delivery make it a wonderful bike. I put 162k on my '04 and it was still going strong when I sold it. Both bikes come with factory hard luggage. It's not uncommon to find them with a top box and plenty of farkles too. If you find one with custom suspension already, that's a real score too.

'04 was the first year of ABS. Silver front caliper pucks mean ABS, blue are non-abs. '06, (Gen II), was a mild body change, and the first year when all FJRs got ABS. There are Gen IIIs and IVs now too. At some point they gave it a taller final drive ratio and a 6th gear, but it's kind of a waste. The 5-speed was turning 4200 rpm at 70 mph, if I recall. Red line was 9500, so you were barely pushing the motor half of the rpm it was capable of. I spent hours running 9k rpm across West TX w/o a hiccup. The only issue it was known for was eating cam chain tensioners every 50k and they updated that part eventually. And they just get noisy a long time before a failure could occur.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts