Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my brother has the bike itch now that I have one so he asked to take it down the road for a short trip. While turning around to come back he got into some loose gravel and next thing he knew the bike was on its side with his leg under it holding it up. Damage was cracked the Visor, Side 1 on the fairing and scratched the hell out of the Crankcase cover on the left side. He was ok, but was not looking forward to getting back and telling me the news. I took it rather well looking back :spank Looking in the service manual it says you have to drain the oil and the coolant to replace the crankcase cover side one. Can anyone confirm this? I was hoping it would be a simple pop off the old one and put on the new one, but now I'm not sure. Since the service manual only details removing the generator and the starter clutch I wonder if it's necessary to drain the oil and the coolant if your only going t replace the cover. There is a gasket behind it so I'm a little worried.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Oh no!!! Now im thinking twice about a ride I promised my Cousin. You really dont think about it until it happens. Well my cousin has more experiance than i do. And i did promise him. Ill have to cross my fingers.

It sounds like a good time to change the oil. You could PM Squidkiller who works at a dealership and he might have the real answer for you sooner than you could calling your dealer.

Sorry man. I think that makes 4 dropped bikes now.

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Always awful when a bike is dropped, but even more so when you weren't the one to drop it. I too can't answer your question, just felt like letting you know I am sorry to hear about the accident.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd agree with the service manual.
I've never done it on a street bike, but on my old yz250F when you pulled the crankcase cover you had to drain the coolant and oil. The cover plate opposite the clutch acted as a 'stop' for the water jacket, and although it had a dry sump system, the oil would still make a mess if you left it in.

PS. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
PPS. Enygma: your avatar is great, good for 5-10 minutes of quality entertainment :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the sympathy guys. I think I'll wait until my next oil change to change the cover anyways, in 1000 more km. Will change out the fairing piece as soon as I get it. Here are some pics. (The bike is dirty. I rode for 1 hour in the rain to get home today. Will clean her tomm)

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not sure why you would have to drain the coolant, but you could get away with not draining the oil out. Take the bike and place a 2x4 or whatever thick wood under the tires. Then put the bike on the kickstand. This should tilt the bike far enough that the oil will be clear of the edge of the cover. I did this when doing some clutch work on the 929 and it didn't spill any oil. Sucks your brother dropped the bike. I had my father, friend, brother....and myself all drop my first bike. All low speed stuff, just lost footing. Need to be real careful who you let throw a leg over your bike. Good luck.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
i changed that cover on my R6 and i didn't drain the coolant, not sure why that even matters... anyways, that thing is filled with oil and when you take it off, most likely some will spill out. it happened to be time for an oil change anyways, so i changed it after i took the case off, you might want to empty it first. and if you don't know already, you should change the gasket too. and don't forget to scrape all the old gasket off. oh yeah, if it was anything like my bike, prepare for some bloody knuckles and a really tight screw inside the case. hope i helped you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, here's another thread I can use to show my stepson why ...I WILL NOT LET HIM OR ANYONE ELSE RIDE MY BIKE!!! :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry to hear about your drop and it's good that your brother is OK. I scraped up my crankcase cover too and will eventually replace it. For now, it's my reminder to not be stupid next time I stall it out!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, at least he didn't dent your tank in the process. Sorry to hear that though. I know it sucks and I'm sure it sucks worse when it wasn't you.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Hey amita, Have you found out if any shop can pull your dent cheap?? And thumbs up to your avitar pic!

sidenote: I didnt realize how many of us have scraped our bikes. I think we should start a group buy on frame sliders or something.

·
Registered
222 Posts
kdk1899 said:
sidenote: I didnt realize how many of us have scraped our bikes. I think we should start a group buy on frame sliders or something.
Or training wheels.

·
Registered
159 Posts
continuing sidenote:
I'd be in on a group buy for LSL sliders.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Sirkbac said:
Or training wheels.

I'd be in for those!!! Make my bike look like a Big wheeler!! ha ha.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Who makes a good Z rated training wheel anyway? I wonder if they're available with spinners, that'd be supercool.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
I got them on ebay!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
kdk1899 said:
Hey amita, Have you found out if any shop can pull your dent cheap?? And thumbs up to your avitar pic!
Funny you asked because I was just checking on that today. Been tooo busy until today.
I first called a Collision/Body Shop and they referred me to a guy that specializes in dents.
Well, I called him and I'm supposed to meet him either end of this week, or sometime next week for him to look at it and give me a quote. He's done many Harley tanks but they are single layered he says and are much easier. He said the Jap bikes are much harder because the tanks are double layered usually and the opening of the tank has a nozzle that make it hard to get into. So, apparently, he works the dent out from the inside.
So, I then asked him about the other way which is some sort of glue method that pulls the dent from the outside.
He can do that too but it's not exactly his favorite method because he said occasionally, it takes some paint off. He said he could look at it and see and if he tried to fix it and it didn't work, he wouldn't charge me and I'd be back in the same situation.

So, I'll let you all know after I meet with him.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd go for the training wheels if I loaned my bike...

·
Registered
68 Posts
kdk1899 said:
I got them one ebay!!!
Man I needed those last week, by the way I am riding again......Yes. :headbang

1 - 20 of 34 Posts