1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, here is the beginning of the Great Father-Son Motorcycle Trip of 2013:

This is the course that I designed for the trip:

Here is the Statistics for said great course:

When all was said and done, we put 2,695.3 miles on our bikes for this ride, because of some sidetracking we did, and some destinations we added. We took time out for 10 days total, we completed the trip in 8 days. That is 337 miles a day, and these weren't your slabfests, these were some wild roads with a few jaunts of slab sparsely interjected between them. Now, not all the roads ended up being what I was hoping, but oh well, that's the way it works sometimes.

So for the special equipment, we bought a pair of UClear HBC200 bluetooth intercoms so we could talk while riding, call out hazards and other useful things. These ended up working pretty good, I'd give them an 8.5 out of 10. Range wasn;t super impressive, but they did a good job of separating wind and engine noise out of our conversations. Here is what it looks like attached to my helmet:

They are boomless, which was pretty cool IMO.

This is what our bikes and gear looked like in one picture.

I carried a bunch of tools, tire repair kit, tire inflator, rainsuit, adjustable wrench, vice wrench, 100 large zipties, 50 yards of paracord, pledge wipes for windshield and visors, and metric and linear allen wrenches. All stored in the tailbag that I borrowed from a riding buddy (Royal Tiger from Sportbikes.net). I had my 50 liter Top Box (Ebay special) which stored 7 changes of clothes (way too much, I learned haha) and also my cold gear. I also had a cellphone mount for my handlebars.

Here is my Ghetto camera mount version 1.0:

I realized after the first few videos it was a bit too loose so I modified it with what every good wanna-be ******* would use: Lots of Gorilla Tape Duct Tape! Version 2.0:

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So Day 1:

Day 1 was really more or less commuting to Front Royal where Skyline Drive begins. We slabbed 81 down to the Hanover street exit for Carlisle PA. From there we took Pine Grove Road, to Rt 491, to 17, and then finally 340 to Front Royal. No pictures really to take, but here is my old man talking on a phone:

Day 2:
We got on to Skyline Drive, Which had some amazing views and overlooks. The road was ok, some fun corners but overall there were too many cars to worry about to really get moving. Here are some pictures:

Old man Part Le Deux:

Me and my father:

So we ended up reaching the end of Skyline Drive and it runs right into Blue Ridge Parkway. Blue Ridge Parkway ends up taking us 3 days to cover because of aseveral off shoots I planned into the route, but more on those later.

Reactions: max384

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 3:
Day 3 was mostly riding out the Parkway. We stopped at some overlooks but didn’t really take many pictures. We did however see a really cool old dude with a customized Jap cruiser that was cool. We did take pictures of that:

Vanity Pictures:

A pretty cool Overlook shot I did manage to snap:

Next we ended up at the Mill that is along the Blue Ridge Parkway. This spot has a special spot for me because it was the first me and my now wife stopped at on our first vacation together. I made sure to take another father and son picture and also snapped a picture of a cool old car rolling by.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 4:
So day 4 we ended up starting at a cool little diner in a small town, Spruce Pine. Food was cheap and pretty decent, better than the crap at the motel we stayed at.

We took some more of the Parkway, and also did a separate off shoot road (all roads and off shoots of note are on video) and ended up hitting up a Mexican place called Papa’s and Beer. Awesome place, amazing food, prices were absurdly cheap for the quality of food we were served. Great place to try for lunch if you are ever around.

I took a quick treadwear picture, because I’m lame like that:

Finally, my dad’s rear tire that had been close to dead when we began, completely died and we had to get him a new tire. We were lucky to find a place open and willing to change the rear out for him at the end of the day. Awesome little Harley place (privately owned, not chain) called Waynesville Steel Horse (or Iron Horse, forget). Everyone there was great and they had a sweet XR1200 on the floor that I actually liked. Believe it or not, we managed to round that tire a bit before the center gave up!

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 5:
Day 5 we woke up to a slightly foggy morning in Waynesville. This day we would finish off the Parkway, do the Cherohala Skyway, and run the Dragon twice.

We ended up going to a coffee house in Waynesville, called Panacea. Awesome place. I know I had posted the coffee earlier, so I’ll just quick throw in a pic of the bikes:

Here are some pictures from when we got to the Dragon:

So the first run through I ended up going through quickly but I was being over cautious because I had heard plenty of horror stories of newbies taking a ride into a tree, a truck, a ravine, what have you. I got my first run on video, which I split into 4 parts because I kept catching up to slow farty Harley’s. I am in the process of uploading the videos onto my Youtube account, should only take me about 20 years since they are in 1080p. In the meantime, I took some pictures of my rear tire after the run:

After the first run through, we stopped at the 129 Motorcycle Pit Stop for a surprisingly good Chili Cheeseburger.

We then hit up the Cherohala, and came back up 129 and hit the gap again. The second run through I was able to get a clean run through, with no one holding the road up. At the same time, I was able to get on the tail of a GSXR 750 that was looking for a fast lap. I could tell right away he knew the road pretty good based on his lines, corner setup, and brake points. I ended up following his line through most of the run, with a few exceptions where I didn’t like his line. We were flying through pretty good at a quick pace, and I never had a chance to turn on my video camera because I never expected to get a good run, and when I realized it was going to happen, I couldn’t spare any concentration to pop the lens off, flip it open, and press record.
Unfortunately, the guy on the 750 went down about ¾ of the way through the run. We were coming out of a small straight, coming into a slightly downhill hard left and he just spooked, stood it up, scrubbed off his speed and went over. Luckily he scrubbed most of his speed off and he did not go flying into the woods, otherwise he probably would have had to leave via medevac. I immediately stopped, threw on my four ways and checked on him. Besides a smashed visor, windscreen, plastics and a clutch lever, him and the bike were ‘ok’. My father came up behind us, and we were able to flag down enough people and a truck to get a line down the embankment and haul his bike back up the hill and onto the street. He had a Go-Pro helmet cam on and he is going to send me the video when we figure it out.
The rest of the day was uneventful, besides the fact that they shutdown all the Parkways that afternoon and I accessorized my bike:

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 6:
The next day brought on this bad boy, and one awesome video:

Route 32. Pretty insane to ride. Very technical in many spots, and a whole ton of fun. A Motard’s dream for sure. Unfortauntely some of the corners were a little moist and had some ground up leaves on them so I took some of them slower than I wanted. I did get a great video from it that will be uploaded. Great road, would suggest people to try it out even if you don’t want to scream it. Just a heads up, right where the road goes from crazy to normalish, it becomes dirt. About 2 miles of it at the end, so might want to take it one way, then turn around and go back.
Shot of a refuel after the Rt. 32 run:

I’m winging the battle:

After some more roads and hard riding, the old man’s front tire was shot.

When was the last time you ever saw a Harley tire with anything other than the center worn flat?!
Found a Harley Dealership in Bristol that took care of him late afternoon. Some new rubber and he was good to go.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 7:
So on this day, we hit one of our big destinations; Hungry mother State Park, via Rt 16 otherwise known as BF Buchanan Highway. This was a road my father was taken on by some of his biker buddies last year.

Got some good riding in on a few squiggly roads, but didn’t take too many pictures this day until after when we arrived in Lewisburg. We had hit another dirt road and we were able to spot a few more oil leaks on my father’s bike haha:

Also, he scraped engine case on this day as well:

My poor dirty chain!

Funny enough, the hotel we stayed in was also housing a MSTA rally and there was a ton of super toruing and adventure bikes there in the parking lot.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the last day we had only about half a day’s worth of riding. We hit up some good roads, stopped at a cool strip mall on Route 66 and had some pizza, and finished the day by slabbing home on Rt. 81 and I got to surprise my wife. Also, that morning we met Blaise from on here on his Superduke 990 who was having breakfast at the same place. Nice to meet you Blaise!

The trip was truly amazing. I was glad to be fortunate enough to be able to take this trip, and to have spent some quality time with my father. We haven’t been able to connect for many years, and especially after my mom passed away 2 years ago on November 5th, I felt it was necessary to get something like this together for him. He seemed to really enjoy himself and he had a blast on all the roads. The guy is crazy, and I swear I feared more for his life because he rode that thing like it was stolen. He probably could have outridden quite a few sportbikers on this trip, scraping kickstand a hundred times, hitting tailpipes a few times, and finally he cased it on one particular corner. The bike surely is no garage jewelry, that is for sure, he rides the piss out of it!

Another amazing thing to note: We did not hit rain once until within 20 miles of home. Even then it was light and we didn’t need to worry about rain gear.

Finally, some dirty pics of the bike…I still need to clean her!

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Sounds like a great trip Levi. Thanks for the pics and the commentary.

*EDIT* - Oh Levi, I wanted to add Felicia and I have the UClear 200's on our Shoei's. We love them. We can talk whenever, listen to crystal clear music, listen to the turn by turn nav, and even take phone calls. Since you have one, we can even synch with you if we ever get to ride together again.

·
Adventure Bound!
112 Posts
Very nice writeup and pics. You are so fortunate to get to do this with your dad. That is really cool. I live in charlotte and recognized quite a few of the places you mentioned. Papas and Beer is probably my favorite mexican restaurant - and route 32 is a blast!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Nice trip

Thanks for posting the trip. Great to ride with your dad, isn't it?

Years ago (1985 ?) my dad and I took a trip down in that area, him on his Gold Wing, me on my CB750F. We didn't do the dragon (unknown back then) but we rode the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. I seem to recall going to Nashville too, but it's been a while and could have been on a different trip. Unfortunately, I don't think that we have any pictures from the trip, being pre-digital camera days.

I grew up riding on the back of my dad's motorcycle, then when I turned 16, he made sure that I had a street bike to ride with him. I learned a lot of sensible riding habits by riding behind him.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a great trip Levi. Thanks for the pics and the commentary.

*EDIT* - Oh Levi, I wanted to add Felicia and I have the UClear 200's on our Shoei's. We love them. We can talk whenever, listen to crystal clear music, listen to the turn by turn nav, and even take phone calls. Since you have one, we can even synch with you if we ever get to ride together again.
Yea, I love the UClear so far. Only catch is the material where my ear is in my helmet isn't fleece enough (looks like a nylon) and the velcro on the back of the speaker doesn't stick well. It's fine for riding but when I take the helmet off it sometimes pops off.

Thanks for posting the trip. Great to ride with your dad, isn't it?

Years ago (1985 ?) my dad and I took a trip down in that area, him on his Gold Wing, me on my CB750F. We didn't do the dragon (unknown back then) but we rode the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. I seem to recall going to Nashville too, but it's been a while and could have been on a different trip. Unfortunately, I don't think that we have any pictures from the trip, being pre-digital camera days.

I grew up riding on the back of my dad's motorcycle, then when I turned 16, he made sure that I had a street bike to ride with him. I learned a lot of sensible riding habits by riding behind him.
Yea, I am very fortunate to have had the opportunity and I think I want to make it a point to go on some sort of yearly trip with him, even if it isn't quite as long as this one.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I had to buy another helmet. The X-11 doesn't have the speaker recesses. Her Qwest did so I bought a Qwest for myself and it works great.

·
SV650 WEEEEEEEE
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dan....buying new gear?!?! Unpossible :)

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Dan....buying new gear?!?! Unpossible :)
You missed my new Dainese jacket. :D

If we ride over on Saturday I'll show you the new Shoei.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Thanks for the writeup and pictures. Looks like a great trip. That is really cool to be able to take a bike trip with your Dad. I hope to be able to do the same with my kids one day.

Also, it may just be my computer, but I can't see many of the pictures. Starting on day 7, the pictures are all blank. I tried reloading the page a couple of times, but I still can't see them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts