Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh man, what a weekend i had! (the write up is divided into days. race day obviously being sunday. pictures in second post)
Friday
my alarm gets its digital cue at 4am to wake my ass up. i stumble across the room to slience it, and head to the kitchen for some breakfast. i whip up a some scrambled eggs and sausage then sandwhich them inbetween 2 slices of toast. with my breakfast in one hand and orange juice in another, i make my way out the garage to start loadin up the car.
its about 5am now and i go in to wake my dad up. it takes him about an hour to get ready. we load the bikes up in the trailer by 6:30 and are on our way by 7.
we arrive at Thunderhill at 9 and are greeted by my tuner, joe. by 10 we have everything set up and ready to go. i go to pay for the trackday while my dad and joe go tech the bike. when i make it back to the pit area, its first call for my practice session. i suit up and do my own rundown of the bike and joe checks the tire pressures. i check to make sure everything is safety wired, levers are working properly and everything is secured. i notice my rear brake lever isnt returning all the way and point it out to joe. he takes apart the right rearset, lubes up the point of contact and reasembles. they call final call just as joe starts to put the peg back onto the rearset, but i notice him having some trouble with it. somehow the inside of the peg got stripped and the screw would not go in right. knowing im not going to make it out for the practice session, i undress and just relax while my dad and joe tackle the problem. my dad brings up that there is now only one session left before lunch and that i should check to see if i can get some money back and only do a half day. so i go and talk to the nice lady. she kindly refunds my money after i explain my situation and that it was a safety hazard...blah blah blah.
12-1 = lunch
around 1:30 they call my practice session. i gear up and do another run down of the bike just to make sure. everything checks out and i head out to the hot pits to warm up the needy 2 stroke. after getting her nice and warm, i head out to the track. i take it easy since its my first session of the day. i would say i made sure to warm up the tires well, but they didnt need much of it...with it being 106 degrees out and all. i used this session to get in the groove and to make sure there was nothing thats goin to make me pucker up by suprise. track was perfect....and HOT!!!
the rest of the day goes by just less than perfect. i felt better out there than anytime before. with it being only my 3rd time out to Thunderhill, i expected it to go that way. i end the day with an awesome dice with a guy from USGPRU, which is a national 2 stroke series that runs full on GP 2 strokes. the bikes, specifically the honda RS250R, put out ~90hp (100hp with some nice money into the motor) and weigh about 220 wet. my aprilia RS250 weighs 305lbs wet and has ~60 hp.
so after my last session, my dad and i go check into our hotel which is just a few miles down the road. after getting our keys, i run to the room, slide the key in and out, wait for the green light, then bust in the room like it was full of a million dollars. But rather, it was an air conditioned room. THANK GOD! the thermostat read 60 degrees but it felt like 30! we end the day with a dinner at black bear and im passed out by 8:30.

now to keep this book down to a minimum, ill try and keep saturday short.

saturday
well everything went great. times consistant and consistantly dropping. started out where i was last time...2:07.xxx to 2:06's by lunch and 2:05's by the end of the day! it was awesome to be practicing with only 2 strokes for once. damn 4 strokes dont know how to carry corner speed. :twofinger
oh yeah, it was over 100degrees, AGAIN!

sunday
ahh...another good nights rest. accept i had a bad dream.
so we get to the track at 7:30. i already registered the night before, so we go tech the bike and then just chill until my first and only practice session of the day.
i suit up after first call and make it out to the hot pits before the last call.
i head out onto the track with the first wave hoping i can get some clean track. i make it out fine but on the second lap i get stuck behind some riders who are just coming out. going into t9 i end up popping a nice stoppy in a successful attempt to miss this guy. after that i just take it easy for a couple corners to make enough distance so that i can put in a good lap without being held up in a corner. when im coming out onto the straight these guys are already halfway down the front straight. i figure this is a good time for a hot lap. coming up and over the hill after 9 i can already read the name on the back of the guys leathers who parked me going into 9. turn 10 is a extremely fast corner. i go in like i had been all weekend. going in on the brakes, my front end starts to ride the bumps pretty rough. the bike then settled down and i started to turn in when i felt another bump. i was still on the brakes...so the front tire pretty much locked up and down i went, proving my dream the night before to be a premonition. i wasnt even at the apex. it was a very simple and gently slide. the left handbar and rear set were ruined. but no worrys...we have plenty of spares. so we get the bike back together and retech it just in time for the race :phatyo

the race

I'm gridded 6th due to my chain braking the weekend before.
we go out for the warm up lap. i take it easy the first 6 turns and then turn up the heat. i coast down the straight and park it on my grid position. im a bit more nervous due my crash the last time i was on the track. but i manage to push that out of my head by the time the '1' board comes out. i start to bring my revs up to about 8 grand. the 1 card turns sideways and im looking straight down the track to where im gonna be. the green flag waves and im off with an awesome start. i settle into 5th place into turn 1. i carry more corner speed than 4th place. i know i am faster than this guy, but he is not slow by any means. i know that if i dont make a move into 2 that he will hold me up threw the first half, insuring that the faster bikes pull away from me. so i go in super late on the brakes into 2, on the inside. right as im settiling into my line, i see a yellow bike turning right into me then...BOOM. we trade some paint but we both get out clean. i look back and he stayed up and on the track so i put my head back down. i throw up a peace sign coming out of 2 and into 3. by turn 4 im right on 4th places ass and am able to make a move on the inside of 5, which is like an extreme version of lagunas corkscrew. i decide against the pass because of my previous incident. so im sticking right to his ass going down the hill (5a) and into 6 i see another oppurtunity, whcih i should have taken, yet didnt. he didnt carry as much speed as i expected. but going threw the very fast section between 6 and 9 proved that the pass would have been pointless. the BUS lengths these guys put on me is rediculous. i never let off the gas threw 7 and 8. WOT all the way threw but my motor is a joke. i actually have to downshift coming out of 8 just to make it up the hill! so im slowing down going up this hill while these guys are still accelerating, and fast. i get passed going up said hill but pass him right back, on the brakes, into 9. he shows me a wheel down the straight into 10 (the corner i crashed) but i again out break him and hold him off until the main straight. meanwhile i have caught back up to 4th place but he just motors away from me going down the straight between 12 adn 13. i gain some distance on the brakes again but he just pulls bus lengths down the straight. that guy ends up passing me like im standing still half way down the straight. after that i stick in 5th place and just kept playing the 'catch up, get motored' game. it got quite aggrivating but i still had sooo much fun doing it. i felt really good out there. i accepted 5th place on the second lap but i didnt slow down at all. i just focused on my riding, being consistant, and not crashing :). i ended up pulling a 2:04.62 on my last lap. 4th place fastest lap was a 2:04.76 :). i was the first aprilia to finish and also the first novice to finish and 5th against the 'experts.'

i cant wait to get my engine worked on. reliable horsepower out of this engine is between 65 and 70hp. the tzr's up front are putting down just under if not 80hp and weigh 50lbs less :a2 the aprilia has a far better chassi. so that extra few hp may help a lot more than i think.

so far i have run right with the front runners until the straights.
i have held 4th place for a couple laps at infineon only to get parked by a lapper on the last lap allowing 3 guys to go around the outside. i managed to get one of them back, taking a 6th place. every race, except for my first, i have takin first novice, first aprilia and been in the top 6. this was my first top 5!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the track

my personal favorite pic

coming out

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the yellow bike is 6th place. the red one is a lapper.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think i look too bad for being 6ft and on a little 250 :lol

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
2:05's at T-Hill is a damn respectable time. Good job, nice write up. :cheers

I know it's late notice but PTT is running T-Hill BACKWARDS Friday, July 22nd. This will be my first time running it in reverse, it should be... uhm Interesting. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts