Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Range is very good roughly about 25-50miles depending on how itchy you are with the throttle and the speeds your going.

Here's a 30 mile trip averaging 20 mph on the bike trail.

Battery and motor technology is improving all the time, so extending range is just a battery swap away.

My electric bike is my daily commuter and serves as my primary vehicle. My car/motorcycle just sits in the driveway.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thats really cool! Out of curiosity how much does it cost for a set up like that? also what is the recharge time like?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thats really cool! Out of curiosity how much does it cost for a set up like that? also what is the recharge time like?
Really depends, I build my bikes using high quality suspension, big brakes, powerful motor and batteries. I like to overbuild since I ride at high speeds and is my daily commuter.

Around $2000, give or a take for a bike like mine.

Although, you can build it cheaper, if you skimp on hydraulic brakes, fancy electronics and suspension. I can build a 50mph bike for $1000, but I don't recommend it.

I charge my batteries at 40amps, or 800watts. So it takes 25-35 minutes to top them off. Sometimes, I even trips the breaker since I charge so fast.

My charger is 1500watt capable, using two dell Server power supplies. I'm barely using half of that capacity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably makes a lot more sense than an electric motorcycle.

What kind of range?
Definately, I want a electric motorcycle but they're way too expensive to justify the cost. It would, be cheaper to convert a gas motorcycle to electric. The homebrew electric motorcycles are growing. Heck, electric vehicle performance is advancing very rapidly, its like the 90's, when computer performance would leap every few months. Electric vehicle tech is the same way.

Also, electric bicycles are cheap to build, maintain, and easy to operate. I have a adjustable switch on my handlebar that lets to adjust the throttle curve and the power on the fly.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Crazy! How much weight does everything add to the bike? Do your brakes actually keep up with the increases in speed or are you replacing pads frequently?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crazy! How much weight does everything add to the bike? Do your brakes actually keep up with the increases in speed or are you replacing pads frequently?
My current setup is heavy, 25lbs rear motor, but its able to put out more much torque and handle more power without burning up.
No pedalling is necessary, but I still do for excercise. Pedaling would actually slow me down, since the acceleration is so brutal.

Lithium polymer Batteries add another 11lbs.

My previous motor was 16lbs, but less torque, and would heat up quicker at high speeds.

I'm still on the original brake pads, I'm at 4000-5000 miles, Shimano Zee Quad Piston pads are pricey, $40 a pop.

I use "regen" braking to slow me down, its like engine braking so the motor does the braking, but it recovers a bit of electricity. Regen braking is brutually strong, I have to carefully modulate it or it will send me forward. Its also instant, unless disc brakes.

I'm still getting use to the throttle control, its hard to roll on because the motor has so much torque, and is very twitchy even a small amount of throttle will throw you off if your not careful.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Great thread. We all know how invisible sportbikes are. I hope you guys remember that when you're on smaller bicycles with less headlights. 25-30 miles is perfect for most commuters.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Under the old "the stupid question is the one you didn't ask" theory, have you considered rigging the pedals so they re-charge the battery also?
I doubt that it would be much but it seems every little bit would help.
Got to fill dem gallons of 'lectriscity.:lgh2
Pedal crank charging systems are pretty much standard for a lot of military gear. Or they were back when I had teeth and hair.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Under the old "the stupid question is the one you didn't ask" theory, have you considered rigging the pedals so they re-charge the battery also?
I doubt that it would be much but it seems every little bit would help.
Got to fill dem gallons of 'lectriscity.:lgh2
Pedal crank charging systems are pretty much standard for a lot of military gear. Or they were back when I had teeth and hair.
Pedaling does extend the range since it takes load off of the motor, but it there's no way it can recharge my batteries.

My motor can act as a generator so while it's turning, it can power lights and small accessories direct without a battery. Also I'm getting back electricity when I use regeneration braking.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Very cool! I would just trip out at peoples faces when you take off from a light, pedaling up to 50mph! Ha!

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
this is mildly relevant to me. . .a bit out of my price range, but it's something I'd consider when we are building a place in town for sure.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts