Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have reached between 3700-3800 on my bike and my instruction says I need to do service. Is this what I should be paying to do maintenance? Not like I broke anything so I mean who is to say I really need maintenance or not? Here is the email I got and has the quote of $135 for the service and $257.02 if I need brake pads and fluid.

Are these prices reasonable? And please dont talk shit, you don't have to be here if you don't like it. This is the email from the motorcycle shop "Metric Method"

You can call in to make an appointment, preferably at least two days ahead of time and we can schedule you in. It’s a pretty basic service. Mostly just inspection of all the braking components such as brake pads and brake lines making sure they are within specification and mechanically safe. If they are then the whole service would be $135. If it needs new brake pads that adds an additional $74 for the front and $32 for the rear. New brake fluid would be $6.99.

So depending on the inspection and if it needs new pads and fluids you’re looking at this range.
$135 -service without needing pads or new brake fluid.
OR
$257.02 -service with all new brake pads and brake fluid.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
This seems a little odd to me, as I would expect a first service to be a general inspection, not just the brake system. I forget, did you buy this new? Is it under a warranty?

The price for the service quoted doesn't seem terrible; it just seems a little weird.

PhilB

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems a little odd to me, as I would expect a first service to be a general inspection, not just the brake system. I forget, did you buy this new? Is it under a warranty?

The price for the service quoted doesn't seem terrible; it just seems a little weird.

PhilB
Yeah, I bought it new. And it is under warranty (just the basic one, I didn't upgrade for better warranty), but my bike doesn't come with free maintenance.

I assumed I had to pay for my own repairs even if I bought it new.

I already did the 1st service at 600 miles. This is the 2nd service at 3700.

But also have a question, I have 3800 miles and I want to make a trip from OC to LA which is 40-50 miles one way, so I would be putting about 80-100 miles on top before I get my service putting me near 3900. Can I be 200 miles above my scheduled service?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
did they change your oil at 600 miles?

despite how much manufacturing has improved, the early oil changes are still important. this time period is called the break in period. look at what they did in the first service, and what they will do in the second service.

between them they should cover most parts of the bike.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
I'd ask them for a complete list of everything that will be checked at this service. If it includes an oil and filter change as well then 135 seems reasonable for a dealership service.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Yeah, I bought it new. And it is under warranty (just the basic one, I didn't upgrade for better warranty), but my bike doesn't come with free maintenance.

I assumed I had to pay for my own repairs even if I bought it new.

I already did the 1st service at 600 miles. This is the 2nd service at 3700.

But also have a question, I have 3800 miles and I want to make a trip from OC to LA which is 40-50 miles one way, so I would be putting about 80-100 miles on top before I get my service putting me near 3900. Can I be 200 miles above my scheduled service?
That's correct, you have to pay for maintenance. However, if it is under warranty, you want to be sure to do it; skipping maintenance can be a basis for denying a warranty claim later under some circumstances.

Being 200 over mileage for the service isn't a big deal; just be sure to do it right after you get back.

PhilB

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What if someone just never repaired the motorcycle and kept driving it ignoring the maintenance schedule. Because when I bring my car/bike for regular maintenance, it still runs like normal, even if it has a light thing come on.

And I still have my original tires that came with the bike and it's almost at 4000 miles.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i get a lot of money from repairing your bike for you (off warranty and insurance, because you didn't do the maitinace schedule). Or i get a lot of money repairing your bike for whover buys it off you.

Maintinace is to maintain how well you bike runs, to keep it going at the level it is at. that is why it is maintinance.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
They can deny a claim because you put a fender eliminator or exhaust on it too. So I did my first maintainance myself. They still covered recalls. I just saved my oil receipts, if they screw me they screw me, I'd bad mouth them and never buy another of their products.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
What if someone just never repaired the motorcycle and kept driving it ignoring the maintenance schedule. Because when I bring my car/bike for regular maintenance, it still runs like normal, even if it has a light thing come on.

And I still have my original tires that came with the bike and it's almost at 4000 miles.
If you don't maintain something, it will break sooner and more expensively than it would otherwise. It *should* still be running normally when maintenance is done; if it isn't, you've waited too long and it's now no longer maintenance, but repairs. Do the maintenance. That's why I have an Italian bike that has a reputation for being fragile, but I have ridden 230,000 miles and it has been very reliable and durable. I do the maintenance.

Depending on what the tires are, what the bike is, and how you ride, 4000 miles may be well within the life of the tires. On your bike, I'd expect more than that from a set of tires unless you're doing trackdays. Sometimes the OEM tires are selected for being hard and durable. When I bought my Monster, it came with a set of rock-hard Michelins that took forever to wear out. As in 15000 miles for the rear and 32000 miles for the front.

PhilB

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
"Cycle mall" and "oc motorcycles" are highly reputed professional shops people I know and I have personal experience with. If you must go to a shop, go to one of those.

I have no personal experience with metric method but people I know really good know them. They're good also. Stay loyal to a shop and you'll get treated great in the long run.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Read your contract. I've bought three new kawis and I know they honor do it yourself maintenance if you keep receipts, as most do. Extended warranty companies vary...I had one that said it had to be shops once.

·
Registered
729 Posts
To me, the price for an "inspection" of your brake components seems a bit high. I don't know about your bike specifically, but on most bikes, you can see the pads quite easily, at least well enough to see if they need replacement. Furthermore, fluid level is also visible, and the fluid level will be down quite a bit if the pads are worn.

A simple visual inspection of the pad wear, fluid level, and brake lines should only take a few minutes and not require any tools. $135 seems a bit steep for that. The price to replace the pads and fluid seems okay, but an experienced mechanic should be able to do it in about an hour. I don't know what labor rates are in your area, though, so I can't really advise you very much.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Welcome to motorcycling! No one ever said it was cheap!

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
You can pay a little now for maintenance or a lot for repairs in the future. You will be spending money on the bike regardless.

3700 miles for a service seems really weird though, pretty arbitrary number.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
No one told JF that. ;)

It can be "CHEAPER" if you do everything yourself.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Take your trip and do the maintenance yourself when you get back. The second service is usually an oil and filter change and a general inspection of the bike. You won't need brake pads at only 4,000 miles. Expect to pay $85.00+ an hour for labor in a motorcycle shop.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
You can pay a little now for maintenance or a lot for repairs in the future. You will be spending money on the bike regardless.

3700 miles for a service seems really weird though, pretty arbitrary number.
That's about 6000 km. A nice round number in metric, which is the system used in Japan.

Take your trip and do the maintenance yourself when you get back. The second service is usually an oil and filter change and a general inspection of the bike. You won't need brake pads at only 4,000 miles. Expect to pay $85.00+ an hour for labor in a motorcycle shop.
My estimation is that he is better off paying to have work done.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 34 Posts