Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought an 04 super fast silver about a month ago. I figure I'd write a review after a good amount of seat time. Let's begin

Appearance
This thing is awesome to look at. I love the look, definitely over the FZ1. I get mixed opinions about it from people. Some love it. Some call it weird because it's a naked bike. I just tell them, do I ever call you mother weird. That usually shuts them up. But the style is truly truly sleek, R1 styling front, the rear exhaust is awesome... big fatty tire.

Performance
The power is nice.. real nice. Seems like it's got a bit more power then my old 98 YZF600r. This motor really does like to pushed. Twisting that throttle definitely raises the heart beat rate a bit. Thank goodness it doesn't have the power of a FZ1. I really would be in trouble. Tranny is a bit notchy but so are R6's and YZF600r's. So for me the transition for getting used to it was easy.

Handling
It's not a sportbike. Yeah I can lean on it, scrape some pegs, throttle the crap out of it, but it's not a sport bike. I compare it to the Nissan Maxima. Remember when that car first came out. It was a four door sedan with a spoiler and a big motor. But it was never classified as a sports car nor a sedan. Thus was a then labeled a sports sedan and boom there was a whole class of them. I would consider the FZ6 a sports standard. It's got more power and handling then a standard but it's not up to par with the sportbikes. I do have to muscle the bike in turns if I want to get low, but if I wanted to lean and race, I would have gotten a sports BIKE instead. But that's not what I wanted. Better tires would also give me a bit more confidence.

Comfort
One of the deciding factors of my purchase. I bought the YZF thinking that they advertise it as a real world sportsbike. It's not. Not trying to knock it, it was a lot of fun and the seating position wasn't AS aggresive as other sportbikes, but nevertheless, it was still aggresive. As the years went on I had less and less fun because I was still in a fetal position or what I would like to call it, the cannonball position. I never sat on a FZ6 cause most dealers only had the FZ1 so I sat on it to give me an idea of how it would feel. It felt great after sitting on it. I knew that if the FZ1 felt that comfy the FZ6 would just be as comfy. I can sit up straighter, my back didn't hurt, my wrists would be intact. I compare it to putting on my favorite pair of jeans. Like a glove. Now as for the seat, it really is like sitting on a padded log. Not so comfy after a long ride but doable. The whole butt buzzing think around 6k didn't bother me. It's my own personal butt massager. At least I know the motor is working.

Suspension/Braking
The suspension is at best average. For street riding, which is what this bike is built for, it is just fine for me. I don't recall standards or cruisers having adjustable forks either. For the price of one of these I guess I could do the fork mods, but I don't see myself doing this. As for brakes, I think they are sub par. From time to time when I break hard I do get that vibration coming off the front. It's not annoying but it does scare me a bit. I assume it's because of the 2 piston setup rather then a 4 piston brake calipers. But once again, it's NOT a sport bike. It's a sporty standard. I'll still stop faster then any crusier/standard out there

Fuel Injection & Fuel Economy
While FI is great and all and more reliable I am not that overall impressed by it. The throttle response is better and I am getting probably about 5 more miles a gallon then my old YZF. But that's it? And horsepower wise, it's only got a few more ponies. That's it? I remember cars when they converted from carbs to FI,TPI etc etc.. it was a monstrous leap in power, performance and fuel economy. Everything went up 30-40% in all those categories. WTF??!! :confused: I can see why a lot of folks on this forum aren't overly impressed. And it is true. ESPECIALLY when cars are reaching mid to hi 30's MPG and weighing in at least 2000 pounds more, we should be averaging 70's MPG easily. This is ridiculous. Even when guys here say they can squeeze out close to 50 MPG I'm not gonna start doing backflips of joy. Fuel Injection is new technology that has been around for 2 decades. So it's not so new really but perfecting it over so many years should have been done already. 43 MPG on my 426 pound FZ6 is not impressive. It's a gas guzzler. Someone in the tech department is holding back. If I did a weight to MPG and compared it to a car the car would be eating 1/2 mile a gallon.

Overall opinion
This is a fun bike. It absorbs speed bumps and potholes with no problem on stressing my back or wrists. I feel confident with this bike then my old one. And for the price, it fits the bill perfectly. Fit and finish. Like I said b4, if I wanted a sports bike, I would have gotten a sportsbike. It's not a sports bike. It doesn't stop like a sports bike. It doesn't handle as good as a sports bike. Cause it's not. Wind protection is good... maybe too good for the summer. But pretty good at colder temps. If someone is looking for a sportbike the FZ6 is it. If someone is looking for a crusier, well this is not it either. But for someone looking for a daily commuter (me) that has the power of a R6 but the same type of comfort of a cruiser .. well this is it then. And honestly, if the price of the FZ6 was as high as a cost of an R6, I would pay that price. It is really truely that much more fun and usable in daily commuting then a sportsbike for me. I wake up in the morning praying for sunshine.. I never did that with the YZF. That shows you how much I love this bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just curious about one thing - do you find the FZ6 has as much bottom end power as the YZF600? I ask because, I test rode a 600R last week, and then bought the FZ6 instead, for a bunch of reasons, insurance being a major factor - well, I got my FZ6 yesterday, which was my first chance to ride it. Now I haven't taken either bike over 7000rpm, but it seems from first impressions like the YZF was a bit more grunty. Very different engine character, I would admit I'm used to carbs and the "forgiving" throttle response.. FI is more abrupt and it'll take some getting used to.

Other than wondering if I'm running on 3 cylinders, I'm enjoying the new bike! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with everything except the super fast silver.....j/k good review.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sarchi said:
Just curious about one thing - do you find the FZ6 has as much bottom end power as the YZF600?
Yes the YZF does feel like it has more initial grunt. But I think it has to do with the seating position, hunched over vs. sitting straight up on how it feels the initial acceleration. Also I think it has to do with gearing also. The YZF is still a sportsbike just with slightly higher handlebars. That also means the gearing is different also compared to the FZ6. If you do the front and rear sprocket change like some of the forum members did, trust me, you'll get that grunt back and then some. Then you'll think you're running on 5 cylinders. :devil . Just remember, the FZ6 is a R6 trapped in a standard.

·
Registered
127 Posts
taurus574 said:
Yes the YZF does feel like it has more initial grunt. But I think it has to do with the seating position, hunched over vs. sitting straight up on how it feels the initial acceleration. Also I think it has to do with gearing also. The YZF is still a sportsbike just with slightly higher handlebars. That also means the gearing is different also compared to the FZ6. If you do the front and rear sprocket change like some of the forum members did, trust me, you'll get that grunt back and then some. Then you'll think you're running on 5 cylinders. :devil . Just remember, the FZ6 is a R6 trapped in a standard.
Awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping you'd say.
:banana

I'll give it some time though before I start on any mods.

p.s. I am coming from a Ninja 1000R, where I could ride the torque and never have to wind it out. Again it'll take some time to adjust to keeping it up that high in the revs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice write up. I am 12k on my 6 and I use mine mostly as a commuter. I hit the same roads you do, Belt,van wyck, LIE, the beastly BQE and the rest of 'em. Matter of fact I just picked up a nail in the rear tire last week and had a new Metzler z6 put on today. I think I made a great choice in buying the FZ6 as well. It is fun to ride and thats what it's about.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
6ALWAYS said:
I hit the same roads you do, Belt,van wyck, LIE, the beastly BQE and the rest of 'em..
The FZ6 is a dream to drive on those roads. Pot holes on the BQE, Manhattan, Gowanus I've never had a problem. My old YZF and any other sportbikes that I rode was nerve racking. I would lose control quite a bit over rough roads and my wrists would ache for days.

I just revised my review if anyone is interested. I added a top of Fuel Injection/Fuel Economy.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
taurus574 said:
Fuel Injection & Fuel Economy
It's a gas guzzler. Someone in the tech department is holding back. If I did a weight to MPG and compared it to a car the car would be eating 1/2 mile a gallon.
Include a hp/cc comparison of the 2 while you're at it. Sure, a Prius is going to smoke you in mpg but I doubt it'll stand much of a chance against an FZ6 in ANY performance measurement. I understand what you are saying, the FZ6 should get good mileage being a light, efficient vehicle but , you need to use fuel to make power and the FZ6 does pretty good. I could get 60 - 65 mpg out of my 750cc Honda Shadow but that thing only put out 38 hp with a redline of 6,300 rpms.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Fuel injection can't change the fact that you've still got a 600cc engine spinning at 6000 rpm (at least) at highway speeds. That's a lot of internal friction going on, and fuel economy pays the price. I know a couple of Harley folks with bikes that put out about the same amount of power, but cruise at 2-3k rpm, and they get near 60mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts