Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im sure you guys will flame but thats ok. so ive had a bike since sept aside from like 2 weeks and still have yet to get a license...even a permit. I randomly took the written one day and didnt study and failed. problem is that im lazy and i hate the f'in MVD. so how hard is the test, whatd u have to go, and how long did it take...with that being said LET THE FLAMING BEGIN FOR ME!!!!

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
No flame, wish I could help with info but I got my license 10yrs ago in the mid-west on a scooter which made it easy.

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
I took the test in 1982, in Massachusetts. On a KZ900. For the young crowd out there, that would be like taking the test today on a ZRX-1200. The written test was same as a car - roadsigns, right-of-way, t-intersections, seatbelts, alchohol use.

Lady Registry officer had me and another bike follow her out to a residential area while she was giving a road test to a chick in a car (who failed...).

Anyway, she had me do a figure-8 from one side of the street to the other. I got about 1/2 way through, and she told me to go back to the Registry (alone) and wait for her. I was like, WTF?

Anyway, she shows up back at the Registry and gives me a filled out form to go get my license picture. Seems she decided the second I took off that I knew how to ride and handle the bike just by the way I turned in to the figure-8.

That's my experience.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
IMO you shouldnt have failed the written test. the riding test itself is easy but the first time you take it, most people are nervous and end up having to take it a second time. what im more interested in, is how you registered the bike and how do you have insurance on it? you do have insurance dont you?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yah its got registration and insurance, they never asked for my license or anything. Im thinking about going on tuesday to do it if my clutch cable comes. for the license do you have to do a written and a riding or just riding test?

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
In Arizona the riding is required for sure. I just transfered my MC endorcment when I moved here. Not sure about the written.

My suggestion would be to find out what the smallest displacement motor they require for the riding test. Find a scooter that falls in that classification and use that. Just don't ride the bike to the test. Heard of people getting tickets that way.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
around here you have to take both the written and the riding

·
Registered
116 Posts
you just have to do a u-turn, max break, some slow 90 degree turn and somthing else thats it... pretty easy...oh i think some swerving.

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
I just took the test last weekend. Since you live in Mesa you have to go to the one north of Baseline, the guy there that does the testing is really nice and he gave me a couple of muligans. Since it is the only one in Maricopa that does MC testing on saturdays, I drove there from north phoenix just to take hte test. I past the first time. And I dont recommend you go on saturdays.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
phxtravis said:
I just took the test last weekend. Since you live in Mesa you have to go to the one north of Baseline, the guy there that does the testing is really nice and he gave me a couple of muligans. Since it is the only one in Maricopa that does MC testing on saturdays, I drove there from north phoenix just to take hte test. I past the first time. And I dont recommend you go on saturdays.
the one north of baseline where? mesa drive (i think)??? anyways i guess it wont be for a few weeks before i actually do the test since my clutch cable hasnt arrived and i leave town wednesday. Thanks everyone for the imput and the lack of flameing

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I took the arizona test in 1998 (the philippines test in 1996 which was pathetic!) Unless it has changed it was

a 90degree turn within two lines that are about 3ft apart.
Accelerate to 35 then stop with the front wheel in a 2x2 box.
Then do the slalom through the cones
A u-turn

and tadaaaa. You are done.

Passed the written test the first time, no studying and the driving test first time on a Honda Magna. It's easy.

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
I forgot which exact street it is on, I live in north phoenix and I hardly find my self out that far, but I do remember I took the val vista exit off of the 60.

what Napalm said is right except that there is one more test:
1. salom, followed by an untested U-turn, then into another righthand uturn within the 3ft box.
2. 90 degree left within 3ft boxes
3. accel to about 35mph and start breaking when the rear tire crosses a line and come to a stop with the front tire in a white box.
4. last one, accel to about 10-15mph when you cross the white line you swerve left to avoid touching a white line and then stop(the stop wasnt tested with me)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts