Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something that just popped into my head (this happens after a 12 hour work day and a couple white russians). We have a very limited amount of space for luggage when touring. But whenever I go for a ride that might last more than the afternoon, I always have to have a pair of sandals and a hat in my luggage.

Is there anything you can think of that you need to have when going on a long ride?

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
I always bring Windex wipes to clean the bugs off my visor. They come in a flat pack that fits nicely in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
longer 1 day rides included the tank bag with a few snacks and a liter of water.... just in case.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
* GPS. Paper maps are a nice backup but these can be acquired in a pinch at any gas station or convenience store so I don't carry them. The GPS is great for longer unplanned trips because you can easily find food, gas, motels, etc. on the fly.

* Rain gear. Rain gear is not only good in the rain, it's very useful if you encounter unexpectedly cold weather and are in your light gear. It's amazing how much warmer even mesh gear can be with rains over them.

* Tire kit. Plugs and a foot pump.

* Doo rag. Helmet comes off, doo rag goes on. I'm bald and would prefer not to get skin cancer on my head. Sometimes I'll take a ball cap too.

* Bandanna. In very hot weather, nothing cools you down better than a soaking wet bandanna tied around your neck.

* EZ-Pass. Lots of my longer rides involve blasts down the various toll highways in the North East. Much better to cruise through the automatic fast lane than stop and fumble with money at the toll booth. My EZ Pass is fastened to the inside of the lid of my ZZR's top case, or I throw it in the tank bag if I'm on the 14.

* Alternate visor. Since long rides usually involve different lighting conditions, I'll often bring my clear visor along in addition to the dark smoke that's usually on my helmet.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always bring Windex wipes to clean the bugs off my visor. They come in a flat pack that fits nicely in the trunk.
I have them in the side pocket of my left bag so I can swing around and grab one without getting off the bike. They're a good alternative to a spray bottle that doesn't take up much space.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Even on short rides,i always have the tank bag on what ever bike i'm on.
I keep the same things in it,always.
MP3,spare batterys,and got to have my skull candy ear buds.
First aid kit
GPS,spare batterys
Bandana's,[2]
Spare sun,and night glasses
Tire gauge
Flash light,Sure Fire Outdoorsmen,spare batterys
Rain gear
Maps
Pen
Back up gloves
emergence blanket,i have had to lie on one to fix my bikes.
And thats my Cortech mini!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
a doobie.
or 2 depending on the length of the trip ;). I can't officially condone illegal activities, being a member of middle management of this site, but I've heard that it is a great way to relax and unwind after a day of riding.

I also liked the idea of a tire kit and rain gear. For quick trips with the possibility of rain, i just take my bicycle rain gear. It's made here in Oregon, so I know it works and it's water/wind proof.

Damn, wouldn't it be nice if you could just travel around the states on a bike, staying where you please and taking your sweet time to visit all the lower 48 (or all 50 if you are so inclined). That's going to have to be included in my retirement plan.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Damn, wouldn't it be nice if you could just travel around the states on a bike, staying where you please and taking your sweet time to visit all the lower 48 (or all 50 if you are so inclined). That's going to have to be included in my retirement plan.
That's item #1 on my bucket list.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
^^ lol :)

I think a cool (but probably not important) thing to bring on rides would be a camera. That way you can take awesome photos of your day ride and post them on this forum ;)

I know I've passed a lot of kodak moments and wished I had a camera. With the digital age here in full swing, you can have them and publish them the minute you get home.

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
I think a cool (but probably not important) thing to bring on rides would be a camera. That way you can take awesome photos of your day ride and post them on this forum ;)

I know I've passed a lot of kodak moments and wished I had a camera. With the digital age here in full swing, you can have them and publish them the minute you get home.
I haul my DSLR all over the place in my Cortech tri-bag, but the new ultra-compacts make it a no-brainer for anyone to take decent pictures while traveling. My ultra compact stays in a dry box like this (which I originally acquired for hiking).

(FWIW I recommend an ultra compact with removable, rechargeable batteries, use standard SD memory cards and have an acceptable optical zoom).

1 - 20 of 59 Posts