Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had 3 close calls this evening on the ride home from work.

First stoplight after leaving work, I'm just left of the center of my lane. Bike's in gear, and I'm checking my mirror just in case. Well, some maroon comes up on me, and it looks like they may not stop - probably going 10mph yet. Made a calculated guess and left go of the throttle slid over and turned backwards to stare down this idiot, she jams on the brakes. I'm guessing she was going to try to squeeze by me and make a quick right. Guess to some my cycle tags don't really mean that I have rights to the WHOLE lane.

Very next light, I check my mirror again. Here comes another asshat! This time I don't tempt fate and start rolling and moving right to evade this jackass, who does an abrupt stop about 18" from my rear tire. This one gets the 'salute' just before I turn right.

LIght after that some guy trying to impress someone (wasn't his g/f!) tries to race me in some Oldsmobile. Well he gives up and drives along side me, I'm about next to his right front wheel. Just as we get to the next light, (about a mile down the road) the light turns green. This light has unusually staggered timing, and confuses some people as to who actually has the green some times. At the very moment the light turns green, a semi decides to pull out to make a right turn in front of me. No problem, I brake hard, (little too hard with the rear, which locks) having plenty of room to stop. At this point, I come to realize that Olds boy is in my lane moving towards me, finally moving away after g/f smacks his dumb ass. He then looks over, waves, and mouths sorry. Fucktard!

Thankfully the next 15 miles were uneventful. Sometimes I wonder if someone's looking after me. Awareness only goes so far in some cases.

Enjoy the ride, make it a safe one!

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Keeps you on your toes, doesn't it? A guardian angel is a nice thought though...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have seen some stupid behavior from people on bikes to. Like poping powerwheelies a few feet behind someones car, in traffic. Not to smooth.

Or my own stupidity of not checking my 9 when I become distracted by other things on the road.

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just really pissed me off.

The last one was at an intersection of two 4-lane roads, both state highways. The lanes in the direction I was riding (south) are set up for both to turn left, with the right lane having the option to go straight. I guess Olds boy decided to go straight from the left lane, even though there was a semi in his path. WTF?!

I can't tell you how many times I see people turn left from the left lane, then decide to get in the right lane quickly to enter the gas station they're about to pass - cutting someone off in the process. This happens because of one of my other pet peaves, people who don't think more than 20 feet beyond their front bumper and therefore aren't in the proper lane for where they want to go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like the Wisconsin drivers are dumber than the Utah deer (which, incidently, are smarter than Utah drivers as well).

I hate driving in town. Too many people trying to kill you at the same time.

It's okay though... With a full face lid they can't see me yelling "take a number, fucker"!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
OldSchlPunk said:
Guess to some my cycle tags don't really mean that I have rights to the WHOLE lane.
I was stopped at an off-ramp, waiting to enter traffic but it was really tight so I stopped for longer than I would, waiting for an opening. This bitch of a driver stops suddenly behind me, as if she was going to blow the stop. She comes to a complete stop, and then passes me on the right! WTF! Just because I'm on my bike, means you can pass me while I'm stopped??!!

She doesn't actually enter traffic, just gets in front of me. At which point I clutch out to her window, get as close w/o hitting the car's door and wave at her and point at her w/ two fingers and then point to my face and I say three times, "Do you see me?" F'ing bitch!

I have no idea what she was thinking. I was totally in my lane ready to merge as soon as possible. I'm usually a chill rider, I don't let my emotions run amok, but that whole survival thing gets the best of me sometimes.

Def. full moon brings out the worst of them!

·
Registered
708 Posts
As oldschlpunk said "He then looks over, waves, and mouths sorry. Fucktard!"

I hate this above anything else. The way I see it is "Look at it ASS, You are wrapped up in your steel cocoon and almost hit me, causing me to either brake hard or swerve at highwayspeeds and you FUCKING WAVE with a smile like you just dumped a load in your drawers." A foot to your door, or a handfull of marbles or bearings over the shoulder will in no way even come close to the intervention you about caused me.

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Years ago some asshat actually passed me on the right at a stoplight (2 lights away from the one today, come to think of it). That time I followed the jerk to his workplace and rolled up next to him when he stopped. He knew I was following him.

When he got out of his truck I asked him if he saw the tags on the back of my bike. When he said he had, I asked him why he thought that meant that I was entitled to less than the full lane I was in. He had no answer. Then I asked him if he'd have been pissed if I had pulled the same shit to him with my pickup, nearly hitting him. He admitted he'd have been really angry. I then pointed out that I had no protection from his truck had he misjudged and hit me. Again, no answer.

I don't often do these things on my bike, because you just never know what some of these people might do. It's a little different in my truck, because it would take a much larger hit to injure me. Some dipshit pulling a piece also worries me some. We don't have that kind of thing happening here, but my wife wouldn't appreciate my being the first. My son needs his dad.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I had 2 close calls in a matter of 50 feet today. On a 4 lane road, I was in the far right lane. Traffic was coming to a stop so I looked over my shoulder, saw it was clear and switched to the next lane. After I switch, I watch this girl on her cell not even look and cut me off. I saw it coming so I moved over, almost into the 3rd lane. Right after that, another car pulled out in front of me again forcing me to be entirely into the 3rd lane. I kinda think it was a good thing the first car cut me off and made me push over because I feel like I would have been drilled by the second idiot. So after that, I was stuck in the 3rd lane behind traffic waiting to turn left. Since I was on my bike, I was able to squeeze back into the correct lane and go on my way. Hang up and drive please.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
i absolutely HATE people that come out of the residential and make a right without even looking, like they're playing the fucking lottery with their cars. They just come out and make a right like there's a force field around them... bunch of douschebags. I also hate tail gaters.. a LOT. and then there's the slow ass drivers. If they're old, I just wait and understand but if it's someone on a cell phone or just being retarded AND in the left-passing lane, that pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
mikem317 said:
Don't be jealous Napolean! :joke :lol

Where was that I-93? That road needs to go away.
No I stay away from I-93 like it's the plague. It was in Pembroke on 139.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I actually had an old friend get all pissy because when I came down to visit on Labor Day weekend, I brought the car and not my bike.
Thought maybe trying to find his place for the first time in the middle of DC after traveling on 70, 270 and the Washington beltway (495) on a holiday weekend might be tempting fate a little too much.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Unfortunately these are daily struggles we deal with and it will never change. Just keep you eyes opened and know your surroundings. Be safe everyone!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm just fortunate that here in Terre Haute, IN there are fewer people and, while they are idiots, I haven't had to deal with many people trying to kill me. This is unlike my home of New York City, where everyone (including the bicyclists) want to kill you.

Sorry to hear for your bad fortune, I'm just glad that nothing happened. That's why I wear full gear all the time every time!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Acouple days ago I was at a stoplight turning left when I got the arrow some idiot decided to try beating the oncoming light and turned right, good thing I was at a stop and just starting to go. Then get a couple blocks down the 2 lane road and some woman talking on her cell comes from a side road and doesn't bother to stop until I'm on my horn and brakes, she finally stops after she has entered my lane. She then has the balls to start finger waving at me and screaming.

I think they should teach a little motorcycle safety and awareness before you can get a cage license.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts