Sport Bikes banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,172 Posts
This is a common complaint amongst poor communities. The fact that Muslims did it (I think it was Nation of Islam people) is not hard to believe.

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
There is also a valid complaint that comes from Middle-eastern people who are merely trying to make a life in the United States. They are run out of business by paranoid, close-minded folks, particularly in small towns. In a Wisconsin town, pop. 9,000, a Middle Eastern man opened a gas station where one had been closed for a few years. This mostly Dutch community posted and passed around flyers saying people should not buy gas from him. They spoke with their dollars and ran him out of town, out of pure racism. Was his gas different from any other filling station? Doubtful. Did they receive inferior service? Doubtful as well, considering he spoke English.

No act of violence was committed against this man. However, the fact he lost his business purely due to the scheming of a small, mostly white, and often racist community disheartens me. Does he not have the same right to own and operate a business as anyone else?

·
Registered
516 Posts
sexyicecold said:
They are run out of business by paranoid, close-minded folks, particularly in small towns.
This happened to an Iraqi family that had opened a gas/convenience store off of Rte 51 (Perryopolis, PA) back during the 1st Gulf War. But let's face it, this is generally going to happen to any culture that we are currently engaged with. Think back historically; people of German & Japanese descent were ostracized during WWII. The Germans & Austrians were discriminated against during WWI.

Were it not for the actions of a few nutjobs, I don't necessarily think you'd see the same sort of backlash. In this case, I think a lot of it has to do with peoples' uneasiness about terrorist actions. Sure, you have a greater chance of being hit by a car than by being involved in an act of terrorist violence. But knowing that entities such as "sleeper cells" may exist is enough to cause many folks to be wary of next door neighbors that they may have thought they knew.

It's also hard to ask a majority of the American populace (with what I'll call questionable skills in deductive reasoning) to de-humanize a culture of people that we are at war with, but then turn around and accept citizens of the same descent at home. Do I wish people could tell the difference? Of course! But when the average person's grasp of current events, history, & world politics is nil (because watching the latest sitcom is more important, and because few seem to read much anymore), you're going to see people reacting more emotionally than thoughtfully.

Looks like I'm starting into a rant about the piss poor performance of the education system...I'll stop here. Cheers! :beer

21 - 23 of 23 Posts