Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am siting here listening to Joy Division - Love will tear us apart. It has a catchy beat and a good melody but then Ian Curtis starts singing and it very uninspiring.... Then I realize he is doing that anti-conformist thing where instead of singing a really bad ass melody in a good octave to the music, he is just kinda mumbling his words like he's drunk and its "ARTISTIC" and "DIFFERENT", its just his "STYLE MAN."

I get that it's all about personal taste and preference but damn. I guess if he sang normal, they would be just like any other band and maybe not stick out and be popular, but if that's so then they are not popular for talent but simply the novelty of being different.

I see music as a science as much as I do an art. There is a science behind sound frequency and how its interacts with itself, otherwise there would be no such thing as off key, or a sour note, or off beat.

I guess this is just a rant, I hate it when people like Joy Division are praised for their work when they weren't talented enough to be what they really wanted so they re-marketed themselves as something different and cool and if you dont like it , "you don't get it"

You can still be different and execute music wonderfully and with talent such as; Pink Floyd, The Mars Volta, The Doors, Iggy Pop. I think if you deviate too much from traditional sounding music its stops being music so much and its more accurate to call it art. Even Iggy Pop has vibrato in his voice when he sings.

If you like Joy Division please explain yourself :p

That being said I like the band Blood Brothers and to some people I know it sounds like bad noise but its still musically in key and it takes a lot of talent to be able to hit the vocals notes they do sometimes.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
Music is good if I say it is. That's it. No explanation needed. I don't know what Joy Division sounds like, so they are, by definition, not good. And, with a dumb name like Joy Division, they are incapable of being good.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
Joy Division was a rip on the Nazis. They used female prisoners as entertainment for the troops. The program was called The Joy Division.

When Ian Curtis recorded Love Will Tear us Apart, he was severely depressed as his marriage was crumbling and his future as a performer was in doubt because of severe problems with seizures on stage. He committed suicide within hours of recording the vocal track.

He was a tremendous songwriter and performer. Definitely ahead of his time.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
tremendous performer.

I feel like he was going for the Jim Morrison thing but couldn't pull it off. I had heard he was depressed but I sure cant tell, he just comes off as talking his lyrics, maybe music isn't the best medium for him to express himself, his performance doesn't convey that emotion or invoke empathy in me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
OldSchlPunk is spot on.

I agree with you, EscapeFate, in that the song had much greater potential. Several bands have done covers of the song, but one of my favorite versions is below. Performed by The Swans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc0m68TmAEM

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
Compared to the shit that was music in the late '70s, Joy Division (among many others) was an exciting breath of fresh air. So many bands, so many different directions, so much experimentation. Some of it didn't turn out well, some of it was absolutely brilliant!

I just watched Dead Souls...gave me shivers.

Your examples are probably the worst I saw on YouTube. Whatever. Maybe you had to be there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts